border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-16, 02:45 PM   #31
bigsnakegirl785

Re: BRB Losing Scales?

So I posted this situation on FB hoping to hit a wider audience of experienced keepers for his scale issues, but other than Dave, I've had two people comment and both were giving me advise on changing his feeding to prey items I know he can't keep down. So I'll just stick to this thread. lol I assume babies with regurge issues aren't a common thing overall otherwise they would realize that Morzan isn't 50 grams at 14 months for no reason. It's also so weird to me these two so adamantly pushing me to switch him to rats when mice are more nutritious at this stage, he's just eating abnormally small ones, even with the fact aside he couldn't get a rat pink down.

I'm also currently calling around for a vet, the one I had in mind wasn't in so they've referred me to other vets.
Old 09-22-16, 07:58 PM   #32
Snakesitter

Facebook is terrible for deeper discussions. ;-)
Website, Facebook
Old 09-29-16, 03:29 AM   #33
bigsnakegirl785

I wasn't able to get ahold of a vet last week as everyone was out, so I went ahead and fed him and was going to give him time to digest and try to call around again later today but I went into the snake room yesterday and smelled something horrid. He regurged again, and is starting a shed cycle, which is probably why he regurged. It's been like 6 days (today would have been 7), so I thought he'd keep it down. I did get the Betadine, so at this point I'm just going to wait for him to shed and see what happens.
Old 09-29-16, 05:51 AM   #34
Albert Clark

Man, sorry to hear this. Will you consider a fecal and the L.b.acidophilus to start as well?
Old 09-29-16, 02:32 PM   #35
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Man, sorry to hear this. Will you consider a fecal and the L.b.acidophilus to start as well?
I can't get a fecal until he keeps another meal down, and idk what L.b.acidophilus is. If his scales are still weird after he sheds, I am getting a fungal test done. I just don't want to bother him in shed because I've torn skin before.

I'm still not so sure a fecal is all that relevant, his condition is probably physical, but if the vet thinks it should be done I can do that.
Old 09-29-16, 03:36 PM   #36
Albert Clark

Gotcha. L.b.acidophilus is the main ingredient in bene bac, nutri bac, and the like. Basically a "good bacteria" digestive conditioner.
Old 09-29-16, 03:44 PM   #37
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Gotcha. L.b.acidophilus is the main ingredient in bene bac, nutri bac, and the like. Basically a "good bacteria" digestive conditioner.
Ah. Yeah he's gotten it with every meal but two that he refused to take with it. His last meal had NutriBAC on it. He's been getting it for months, and I've addressed this several times in his main thread, I keep being advised this when I've been giving it to him from the beginning. lol
Old 10-03-16, 02:03 PM   #38
Snakesitter

Sorry to hear about the new regurg. :-( Have you asked the breeder if any of his littermates have had similar issues?
Website, Facebook
Old 10-03-16, 02:47 PM   #39
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Sorry to hear about the new regurg. :-( Have you asked the breeder if any of his littermates have had similar issues?
No but I can. I know he has other adult animals with the same issue, but the ones I see aren't currently being used for breeding.

So far Morzan still appears healthy, hiding away because of his shed cycle, but doesn't seem lethargic and is responsive. He was deep in blue the other day so hopefully he'll shed by this weekend. I'll decide where to go from there.

I'll give him another 3 gram fuzzy after he sheds.
Old 10-03-16, 04:18 PM   #40
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Facebook is terrible for deeper discussions. ;-)
The internet as a whole in fact....
Login to remove ads
Old 10-04-16, 02:04 PM   #41
Snakesitter

Fingers crossed!
Website, Facebook
Old 10-04-16, 02:52 PM   #42
bigsnakegirl785

His breeder says none of his other siblings have regurge issues, at least that he hasn't had any reported from the other owners, and the 3 he has are doing fine.

Still waiting on him to shed so I'll update when that happens.
Old 10-05-16, 02:15 AM   #43
bigsnakegirl785

Well, good news is he shed today and his scales are looking almost completely normal! They do still have a bit of an odd look to them, but it's unclear atm if that's because they're still returning to normal after his shed, or if it's a slight bit of scarring. Either way, I see no reason to continue treating for a fungal infection and his scales should be 100% after his next shed. Every bit of color has returned, there's no longer any discoloration, and although the scales are a tad misshapen it's nothing major.

My main worry is how skinny he is, 3 gram fuzzies just don't cut it but I can't start him on 4 grams until he keeps some meals down...so for the time being I think I'll feed him 3 gram fuzzies every 5-6 days. When he next sheds, I'll give him another 4 gram fuzzy and try to time his meals so that he either gets a 3 gram fuzzy the week before his shed, or he skips that last meal. He sheds every month pretty much on the dot.
Old 10-05-16, 02:28 PM   #44
Snakesitter

Great news from the breeder, and that sounds like a solid plan. Good luck!
Website, Facebook
Old 10-07-16, 09:39 PM   #45
bigsnakegirl785

Well he regurged again, so gonna have to start the clock over...he'll be getting either a 2 gram fuzzy/pinky or a 3 gram fuzzy on the 21st if he makes it. I'm asking the breeder what he thinks the prognosis is and trying again to get ahold of the more experienced vet and see if he thinks this is something he can handle.

If his breeder doesn't think the prognosis is good and the vet seems full of it or doesn't have the experience, I may have to elect to euthanize him. I have no experience with this sort of thing so I don't know if he's beyond saving yet or not.

I took him out when I saw the regurge to give him a once-over to make sure nothing else popped up physically, and he looks fine. His scales aren't misshapen at all any more, not inflammation, no weird bumps, no mucus or anything. His belly is still gaunt but that's to be expected. I flipped him over and he was very slow to lifting his head up and never attempted to roll back onto his belly. He crawled away just fine once I set him back in his tub, but I found him curled tightly under his hide over his heat tape (above the the bedding). Temp gun shows all temps are still in order and the thermostat is set to 80F for 78-80F surface temps under the bedding and ambients in the mid-70's.
Closed Thread