border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-15, 02:28 PM   #31
jarich

Re: Repti-links for reptiles - Alternative food source for reptiles

So they wash the intestines and then re add them?
Old 09-01-15, 02:38 PM   #32
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
I don't know the specifics, but you can contact Nick or Tyler Helble via facebook or their website.
Old 09-01-15, 04:13 PM   #33
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
They would have to. I really dont see it as being much than sausages from the supermarket. They certain clean the pig crap out of the ones for us lol.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 09-01-15, 09:52 PM   #34
bigsnakegirl785

As long as this doesn't push out whole prey, all power to whoever chooses to feed this to their animals. I'd rather stick to whole prey, it's plenty good enough to provide everything my snakes need.

If I ever own a tegu or a monitor, I may invest in a stock of this stuff for variety, though.
Old 09-01-15, 10:16 PM   #35
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785
As long as this doesn't push out whole prey, all power to whoever chooses to feed this to their animals. I'd rather stick to whole prey, it's plenty good enough to provide everything my snakes need.

If I ever own a tegu or a monitor, I may invest in a stock of this stuff for variety, though.
This is whole prey. Whole chicken, venison, and rabbit.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-02-15, 05:19 AM   #36
serpentgirl123

I agree with bigsnakegirl785 and some of the others,

I personally just don't feel comfortable feeding my animals this product until a bit more research is done by those not affiliated with Repti-Link (and if it has, I apologize). I understand the appeal and reasoning to have such a product in the market and more power to those that are using it or willing to give it a try. But for me personally, this is not something I would give my animals, at least not right now.

I also don't see a need to switch since mice, rats, asf's, chicks, and rabbits are so readily available and rather inexpensive, similar (if not the same) to what my animals would be eating in the wild (I don't see a kingsnake or hognose going after deer), used by many many breeders, hobbyist, zoos etc with great success for a long, long time, and my animals are healthy, strong, and easily and readily taking these prey items without any adverse effects.

I also wonder that with most frozen meat (ground or not), it isn’t recommended to re-freeze thawed meat and I suspect the same is true here, probably more so since there are no preservatives or anything. I can see cost becoming an issue for me if my snake refused to eat for whatever reason and out of serious safety concern I would 99% of the time chuck the link away. I guess I feel a bit “safer” putting a previously thawed mouse/rat back ONCE but not these links.

I guess I also don’t see how a little roughage or microbes from whole prey (those not put in a grinder and pre-washed) is a bad thing. It might be quite beneficial for a healthy digestive and immune system--add a little “challenge” to the body; and since most of the rodent vendors are using some sort of formulated, well balanced, and tested rodent food, their rodents are quite healthy.
Old 09-02-15, 10:31 AM   #37
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
I mean actual whole prey - prey that is in its whole form. This may contain most of the animal grinded up into a sausage form, but it's not whole prey. Whole prey is in its original form, with everything included like fur and intestinal contents.

I can control whole prey, when I am able to breed again. I just don't see a need to fix what isn't broken.
Old 09-02-15, 11:10 AM   #38
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentgirl123
I agree with bigsnakegirl785 and some of the others,

I personally just don't feel comfortable feeding my animals this product until a bit more research is done by those not affiliated with Repti-Link (and if it has, I apologize). I understand the appeal and reasoning to have such a product in the market and more power to those that are using it or willing to give it a try. But for me personally, this is not something I would give my animals, at least not right now.
These have not been used commercially for a significant amount of time, though the owners have been using these for several years now in their own collection. They claim that their animals on these links, produce healthier clutches with higher hatch rates and better calcification in the eggs, if that means anything for health.

But I understand what you mean. There has been lots of skepticism towards this product from other places... but also a lot of good feedback from those who do use these. We will need to wait several years until most people become convinced that this can be an alternative, or even better than our mostly rodent diet for snakes.

Quote:
I guess I also don’t see how a little roughage or microbes from whole prey (those not put in a grinder and pre-washed) is a bad thing. It might be quite beneficial for a healthy digestive and immune system--add a little “challenge” to the body; and since most of the rodent vendors are using some sort of formulated, well balanced, and tested rodent food, their rodents are quite healthy.
They do leave a little bit in. They just take "most" of it out because they don't want a significant part of the weight/mass of the links to be fecal matter. Imagine leaving in all the feces from a deer LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785
Whole prey is in its original form, with everything included like fur and intestinal contents.
They do leave in the intestinal contents, but do exclude the fur. But if that's what you mean by whole prey then yes, these are not animals left in their original form. This allows smaller meals appropriately sized for hatchling snakes that are higher in protein and calcium, and lower in fat than rodent pinks.
Old 09-02-15, 01:21 PM   #39
that1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
This isn't whole prey, it is processed meat. Whole prey is referring to an entire animal that is swallowed whole. With feeding your snake a whole prey animal you know exactly what they are getting, a whole rat, rabbit, chicken. Repti-links is ground up meat, you can take their word for what is in it, but truth is you don't know what your snake is getting with each link.
Old 09-02-15, 01:35 PM   #40
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy
Repti-links is ground up meat, you can take their word for what is in it, but truth is you don't know what your snake is getting with each link.
That's true. Similar things can be said for other products like repashys, or fish food..etc. I guess it comes down to whether or not you trust the business. I personally do, and totally understand if other's may be skeptical. I did post this thread expecting some skepticism and backlash.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-02-15, 02:06 PM   #41
MDT

It's all about biochemistry, nutrition, energy utilization vs expenditure. The product is solid. If you want to stay w rats/mice....cool. But don't spout misinformed data.

Whole prey, higher protein per gram, feed less often for same weight gain, better utilization of product per gram, reduced fecal load.

And, no...I have zero financial interest in company.
Old 09-02-15, 02:37 PM   #42
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
It's all about biochemistry, nutrition, energy utilization vs expenditure. The product is solid. If you want to stay w rats/mice....cool. But don't spout misinformed data.

Whole prey, higher protein per gram, feed less often for same weight gain, better utilization of product per gram, reduced fecal load.

And, no...I have zero financial interest in company.
Not mention, less messier stools! haha
Closed Thread