border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-15, 09:06 PM   #31
Wingbeats

Re: Chaska's thread

So Chaska is about 100 grams now (5 months old ish) and is doing just fine. Still friendly, and she seems calmer and less prone to stressing out. Still taking hoppers like a champ!

Anyways, my Animal Plastics order came in! I'm super pleased. The plastic feels really nice, and my boyfriend and I put it together. Each piece fit together like a glove.

I have it mostly assembled, and I just need to take it outside tomorrow to do the sealing (because vapors). I'm excited to get it all prettied up and decorated and stuff! Setting up this enclosure is like an art project, haha.

River the teenage kitten was being helpful.

I got a fluorescent light (to set on a timer for a day/night cycle), sliding glass doors with locks, and flexiwatt heat tape as extras. I ordered a spiffy new digital hygrometer and a couple hides for it too. Spoiling snakes is fun
Old 09-15-15, 02:03 PM   #32
Snakesitter

Looking forward to seeing picts of the final setup! Note: best to error on the side of extra time to allow any vapors to dissipate. You probably already plan to, so I guess this is more as a note for anyone else taking ideas from this thread.... ;-)
Website, Facebook
Old 09-15-15, 02:08 PM   #33
Wingbeats

Yup. I was originally planning to leave it out on my back porch for a week, but it got really rainy. So it's sitting out in the garage instead - I plan to just leave it there for a week.

I have to shop for hides and decorations anyways, so I'm not in a hurry
Old 09-17-15, 02:07 PM   #34
Snakesitter

:::thumbs up!:::
Website, Facebook
Old 09-28-15, 02:19 PM   #35
Wingbeats

Some of my internet friends wanted a feeding video so I filmed Chaska eating yesterday. Added some silly hippy music for fun. She is in shed but still iridescent and still hungry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rMDH5Dgbo
Login to remove ads
Old 10-09-15, 09:50 AM   #36
Wingbeats

So, Chaska FINALLY shed hahaha. Which means I could move her to her new enclosure and also take new pictures!

She is now 6 months old and weighs 112g.

And her new enclosure Looks like a proper jungle!
Old 10-09-15, 10:22 AM   #37
SnoopySnake

Great job catching the rainbow in that first pic, looks like she's keeping her colors pretty well & I'm sure she'll be pleased with the new viv
Old 10-09-15, 11:27 AM   #38
bigsnakegirl785

Wow it's kinda cool to see the differences between snakes' weight to length ratios. Your Chaska is way bigger than my Sanji is in both length and girth at ~14 months old, but they're roughly the same weight.
Old 10-09-15, 01:30 PM   #39
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Wow it's kinda cool to see the differences between snakes' weight to length ratios. Your Chaska is way bigger than my Sanji is in both length and girth at ~14 months old, but they're roughly the same weight.
I've found that columbians are more heavy bodied than brazilians and seem to grow a bit faster so its likely the columbian influence causing such drastic difference
Old 10-09-15, 08:58 PM   #40
Wingbeats

Chaska is only 6 months old but she seems to be growing rapidly, and I only feed her once a week. She seems to be keeping her Brazilian-like marks too; no signs of fading yet.

Though, to be fair, my hands and arms are VERY TINY so that may also be making her look bigger than she is, heh. I'll see if I can get a length on her tomorrow.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-10-15, 07:37 PM   #41
Snakesitter

Chaska is looking very nice -- great job on her photos, too!
Website, Facebook
Old 10-11-15, 07:01 PM   #42
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
I've found that columbians are more heavy bodied than brazilians and seem to grow a bit faster so its likely the columbian influence causing such drastic difference
That would account for the length, but my pure Brazilian is a bit more heavy-bodied. He's smaller but the same weight as the larger snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbeats View Post
Chaska is only 6 months old but she seems to be growing rapidly, and I only feed her once a week. She seems to be keeping her Brazilian-like marks too; no signs of fading yet.

Though, to be fair, my hands and arms are VERY TINY so that may also be making her look bigger than she is, heh. I'll see if I can get a length on her tomorrow.
Trust me, my hands are tiny. If your hands were smaller than mine they'd be non-existent. haha I only have a 5" spread from thumb to pinky with my fingers spread out as far as possible.
Old 10-25-15, 06:13 PM   #43
Wingbeats

So Chaska escaped for another week, but she came back on her own! It did mean that she missed two feedings, but she snapped up her latest mouse like nothing happened. Brat.
Anyways, the light fixture at the top of her cage is now much more secure, haha.

She has gotten SO BIG though, which I didn't much notice until I also handled Avatre the babysnek.

Ever wanted a side-by-side comparison of an integrade with a high-red Brazilian? Well here you go! Boyfriend assisted me in handling both sneks.
*boop*

I was going to get a weight/length on Chaska, but she really did not want to sit still :P Next time.
Old 10-25-15, 08:05 PM   #44
bigsnakegirl785

I'd be careful letting them come so close together, you want a 3-6 month quarantine period before you allow them near each other. That also includes not sharing equipment between them and not keeping them in the same room (if possible).

Either way, gorgeous snakes!
Old 10-26-15, 02:09 PM   #45
Snakesitter

Agreed on the quarantine caution...one can never be too safe these days. They look good though!
Website, Facebook
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
integrade, photos, rainbow boa, updates