border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Amphibian Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-12, 11:43 PM   #16
jaleely
Member of the family

Re: NomNOM the pyxie frog

Even though i have always been into like, everything...i am just not that into geckos for some reason. I haven't met the right one. I think i'd rather have a snake if i've got the room *lol*

But yeah...NomNom is pretty awesome. Sooo cool to hold. He takes both hands and surprisingly he WILL jump out of them. I mean, i make a cage with my fingers but he pushes out all his air and SQUISHES through my fingers when i least expect it. I am honestly shocked when he does it. I don't see how such a big thing can get out of my grip but he sure does. We make sure to never hold him high at all, because he will jump out!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 06-10-12, 06:12 PM   #17
jaleely
Member of the family

Someone has gotten bigger and bigger! I think he/she is at least a pound now.
Just an updated photo. Had to be taken over the sink, since he decided to pee on me to tell me what he thought of the photo session *lol* i knew he was awfully full feeling.

27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 06-10-12, 06:19 PM   #18
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

A 1 lb frog? geez! looks awesome
Old 06-10-12, 08:24 PM   #19
jaleely
Member of the family

lol i love him, even though he will bite me in a heartbeat if i let him. I was holding him down in his enclosure the other day, while i picked up a worm he missed...and he still managed to push my hand off to try and bite my OTHER hand. Got me with his HUGE tongue, but thankfully not the teeth. Oh yes, he has teeth...lol
I seriously need to get some gloves for this guy. He is fine if I let him know it's handling time, not feeding time...but the second he thinks it *might* be feeding time he is biting!
It's hard to tell but he's at least twice as big now as he was in these first photos!
Old 09-05-12, 10:19 PM   #20
jaleely
Member of the family

Okay, here we go! At just a little over 6 inches long, NomNom is now in his adult phase. Still ravenous, he's pretty docile now when held. I'm hoping he'll eventually reach 7 inches. In captivity they usually reach 6-8 ...and at this size, he is all male for sure! The females don't get this big.

Bowser meets NomNom the pyxie frog - YouTube

Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-12, 10:42 PM   #21
Kaetlinv

That video is cute.

Just cause i'm curious and know nothing about them - why are they called Pyxies if they get to such behemoth sizes? That is one BIG frog, haha.
Old 09-05-12, 10:56 PM   #22
jaleely
Member of the family

Pyxicephalus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pyxicephalus (Pyxis = "(round) box," cephalus = "head")

Thusly...Pyxie frog! Also, thusly...pyxie, an oxymoron used to make my husband assume the frog will stay small, until he researched it and realized oh no...BIG muwahahaha!
Old 09-06-12, 12:27 AM   #23
Kaetlinv

Well that makes a lot more sense than 'pixie' as in fairies, haha. This is why questions are good things
Old 09-06-12, 12:57 AM   #24
Evolieno

Omg!! He is sooo cute, even as big as he got! I want one now... Darn you
1.0 amazing 7 yr old
Old 09-06-12, 03:10 AM   #25
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Oh wow! Quite a big and interesting fella! lol I don't think I've ever seen a frog that huge. He seems like a really neat pet to have!
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 09-06-12, 07:55 PM   #26
jaleely
Member of the family

He's awesome. Kind of a brat when it's feeding time though. He eats dubias, fish, mice, half a rat once...he's a bottomless pit! And let me tell you...it is NOT pleasant to clean up after him. Wow boy, that is a mess. And it just surprises the pants of me to see the size of his poos LOL
He's awesome though.

I even got a book on him! Was reading it just the other day. The captive species in North America is not the true giant form...that gets 9 inches and up to 4.5lbs. But instead is a smaller kind that gets about 6-8 inches, and a pound or so.

You can tell when they are juveniles, which sex they are only by how super fast the male grows. I managed to see this guy in with another one, that came in at the same time from the breeder (which is almost all the same central farm in the U.S. that distributes to almost all the locations that sell these..they all stem from there).
This guy was clearly bigger than the other one, which i found out later did turn out to be a female!
So if you decide to get one...males grow bigger! just fun facts : )
Closed Thread