sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-18, 12:54 PM   #16
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: very strange behavior of my python

Kiln dried pine shavings have been used for decades in the hobby and doesn't have toxicity issues...but the bark would probably not be a good first choice.
Old 02-27-18, 02:34 PM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
@bigsnakegirl785, IDvsEGO what about sphagnum or just a paper is ok?

sorry cant understand (
Just the sphagnum, no paper. The paper will rot underneath the moss.

Sorry, what other bedding types are available in your country? I know some of the beddings we have here in the US aren't available in other countries, or are hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Kiln dried pine shavings have been used for decades in the hobby and doesn't have toxicity issues...but the bark would probably not be a good first choice.
I hear that a lot, but surely the oils are still there? If it were to get wet or heated up, surely that would release the oils? You can evaporate water, but I'm not sure you can just evaporate the aromatics away.
Old 02-27-18, 02:44 PM   #18
kazz

@bigsnakegirl785, so sphagnum is better than paper for carpet?
Sorry.
Old 02-27-18, 08:23 PM   #19
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I hear that a lot, but surely the oils are still there? If it were to get wet or heated up, surely that would release the oils? You can evaporate water, but I'm not sure you can just evaporate the aromatics away.
Oils vapour off during the process. A side note- lignocel has pine in it, yet it's very popular in europe.
Old 02-28-18, 03:22 AM   #20
kazz

My snake again behave herself unusually. 5 fays ago she ate. Small box, full dark, 5 secs ans she attacked quail. After that she was as in told in a first post. After 2 days she come out from hide box and crawl all night. Next day my Nephew came and I get my snake on my hands and after 10 sec let her crawl back. After that 3 days she dont leave her hide box.
it's feeding time should I get her out of her box and feed her or should I wait her coming out?
Old 03-01-18, 08:26 AM   #21
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

The behaviour you are explaining is not unusual. It's pretty normal for a small young snake to want to hide, especially after being moved into a large enclosure and with being handled. The move to the newer enclosure is pretty recent, and unless you have added a LOT more clutter since those pictures, your snake will probably remain hidden for a lot of the time. As long as it is eating and illness isn't present, everything is fine. I don't know what you mean by getting her out of the box to feed. Do you mean that you feed in a separate cage?
Old 03-01-18, 08:47 AM   #22
kazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I don't know what you mean by getting her out of the box to feed. Do you mean that you feed in a separate cage?
usually yes.
but yesterday I saw she was looking out so I move her to a branch and she took her meal from a plate without complete dark.
so this is was first time she swallow prey on a branch. The only problem she took quail at the middle of a row.

Last edited by kazz; 03-01-18 at 09:11 AM..
Old 08-21-18, 03:24 AM   #23
kazz

So guys.
Now my carpet stops hiding in her warm hide-box with heat pad. She don't hide 4 days already. 3 days she was on branches and 1 day on a floor of terrarium. At a day the temperature is 26-28 C. In hide box is 32.5 C. I am worry she don't get warm basking on heat pad.

Last edited by kazz; 08-21-18 at 03:40 AM..
Old 08-21-18, 07:56 AM   #24
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
So guys.
Now my carpet stops hiding in her warm hide-box with heat pad. She don't hide 4 days already. 3 days she was on branches and 1 day on a floor of terrarium. At a day the temperature is 26-28 C. In hide box is 32.5 C. I am worry she don't get warm basking on heat pad.
If she needed the heat, she'd use it. Considering their semi-arboreal nature, I would expect them to favor their branches, so ambient heaters would be a better set up vs just belly heat imo.

In the meantime, get a temp gun to scan the surface temp and make sure the heat pad isn't too hot. It's possible it may be getting too warm, and that's why she isn't using it anymore. The surface above the pad will be much warmer than the air, so I wouldn't rely on the ambient hide box temps only. Unless the 32.5C is referring to the surface temp?
Old 08-21-18, 08:27 AM   #25
kazz

Quote:
If she needed the heat, she'd use it. Considering their semi-arboreal nature, I would expect them to favor their branches, so ambient heaters would be a better set up vs just belly heat imo.
The matter she was always sleep in her hide during the day. Maybe she becoming adult and change her behaving ?

Quote:
In the meantime, get a temp gun to scan the surface temp and make sure the heat pad isn't too hot.It's possible it may be getting too warm, and that's why she isn't using it anymore.
there is thermostat . So as I said it's 32.5 C is at a half of hide-box and second half of a hide-box has no heating.
Quote:
The surface above the pad will be much warmer than the air, so I wouldn't rely on the ambient hide box temps only. Unless the 32.5C is referring to the surface temp?
thermal sensor is clued right on heat pad.
Old 08-21-18, 09:06 AM   #26
bigsnakegirl785

She certainly could, snakes seem to change behaviors throughout their lives. She could also just for whatever reason be in a mood to perch for the time being.

If the sensor is right on the pad then it's likely pretty close, I always use a temp gun just in case anyways. I'm not sure where you keep your heat pad, but mine are on the outside with the thermostat probe in between the bottom of the enclosure and the heat tape. So, the surface of the enclosure under the bedding is several degrees cooler than what the probe reads on average. If I didn't have my temp gun, the heat tape would be so cool it wouldn't even make a noticeable difference inside the enclosure.

I'm assuming either your pad is inside the enclosure, or you have a way to measure inside the hide in addition to the attached probe?
Old 08-21-18, 09:29 AM   #27
kazz

Quote:
I'm assuming either your pad is inside the enclosure, or you have a way to measure inside the hide in addition to the attached probe?
My heat pad I have made myself from a couple of glass and nichrom wire. The heat pad is in enclosure. I can feel the heat from heat pad very slightly. Another thermometer shows 31 C. If heater warms too hard I'd feel it with my palm.

Anyway the hide box has two parts : one is heated and one isn't heated. She can choose any temperature . Before her behaving was changed I was opening her hide box and saw she was on cold side.

May be I should place heat had on branches ?
Old 08-22-18, 06:48 PM   #28
bigsnakegirl785

I'm always nervous about direct contact with heat sources...if you add anything to branches I'd honestly go with a CHE bulb in a cage or a heat panel if those are available in your country.
Old 08-28-18, 05:39 PM   #29
kazz

Quote:
I'm always nervous about direct contact with heat sources..
BTW viperkeeper from youtube said he use heat rocks back from 70-th and had no problem and a snake must be very stupid if it can't go away if it's *** is getting burned.
My snake have returned to hide-box and going to shed. Will see how she behave herself after shedding.
Old 08-28-18, 08:07 PM   #30
phenyx

Quote:
BTW viperkeeper from youtube said he use heat rocks back from 70-th and had no problem and a snake must be very stupid if it can't go away if it's *** is getting burned.
Kazz have you heard the frog in boiling water metaphor? It is apt here. If you put a frog in boiling water, it will immediately jump out. But if you put a frog in cool water and slowly raise the temperature, the frog won't jump and will boil to death because it doesn't notice the gradual rise in temperature.

If a snake goes to lie on a rock that is already way too hot, it will move off the hot rock and not get burned. But if a snake is on a warm rock that gradually overheats because it is malfunctioning or unregulated, like the frog, it won't notice the rise in temperature and will get injured. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread