border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Natural Vivaria (Plant) Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-15, 04:38 AM   #16
Tiny Boidae

Re: Live Plants = Less ventilation?

Oh I'm going to use fake plants for sure, but I also wanted to throw some real plants in as well. I like the look and they help absorb some of the feces and add a little bit of humidity into the air. I mean I'll experiment with them, see what would be a good idea to keep in there and what wouldn't, but most of the plants will be fake.
Old 08-17-15, 02:17 PM   #17
reptiledude987

Im also in the process of experimenting with different plant options. Its difficult to find anythin reptile safe thats durable for larger active snakes. My vines are easy because they dont do damage to even the most delicate of plants. however my king and beakies are a whole other story. Im trying different options and if I have success with something Ill be sure to post it. Then theres my carpets which I know will never get a live plant because none of them will stand a chance with those monsters.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 08-17-15, 02:32 PM   #18
Tiny Boidae

As a general rule, I'm just going with any plant that's been able to withstand my girls, because if they can hold up to them, then a rat snake won't be an issue for it... Which for the most part is just moss on the floor of their terrarium XD

I'm going to try and plant some lucky bamboo in there (the kind that swirls at the top) and cut the top off about a foot below the lid (they stop growing taller if you cut the tops. They are poisonous to ingest though, which is why I haven't tried it with the girls, but there's no sap or thorns that'll do any damage to the snake). I'll have a couple growing together and hope they stay standing.

I might also/instead do a small ficus, and plant it outside in my girls' outdoor enclosure if it ever grew too tall (they need it too. It's just a bunch of wooden boxes and rope out there, nothing natural for them to climb). I'm really undecided on the stocking of plants, and I probably will be until the last second. I have the look I want in my head, but finding the plants that'll match it is a whole other ball game. I might actually post a rough sketch to see if anyone can help, that is if you can withstand my grotesque art skills

I don't think the problem with the rat will be it trampling stuff rather than it just knocking it over trying to climb it (and correct me if I'm wrong, because I have no idea). I mean they don't have a huge amount of girth or weight to em, they just are zippy do-dahing all over the place and knocking stuff around and maybe crushing some of the more fragile species reserved for frogs and geckos, but I don't see my pothos losing more than a couple leaves with that snake.
Old 08-17-15, 05:43 PM   #19
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

I didn't read all the replies so sorry if it's repetitive. Live plants add to ambient humidity so you'll need holes for air exchange. Start with a few and add more if you need to
Old 08-17-15, 06:00 PM   #20
Tiny Boidae

Yup, I'm definitely going to add some ventilation. I'm also thinking of installing some computer fans too that'll kinda simulate wind and such. I'm going overboard with this cage, but I like to give my animals a lot of "toys" to experiment with... Or I'm just bad with money. I think a combination of the two.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-15, 06:09 PM   #21
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Make sure they can't get stuck in the fan or nicked by the blades. I don't think its 100% necessary but hey it's your party
Old 08-17-15, 06:14 PM   #22
Tiny Boidae

Yeah, I was going to use screen to separate it. That's an escape waiting to happen without it.

I just like to give my animals something to do, and especially them since they're a more intelligent and curious species. He/she probably never felt wind before, so I'd love to give it something close to the experience
Old 08-17-15, 06:35 PM   #23
jarich

Grass would be a great one, especially if you are looking at having it without the animal for the first month. That will give it time to root and become well entrenched before the animal comes in.

I would also recommend planting the plants directly in the soil too, if its at all possible. It may lead to some plant death, but the addition to the nitrogen cycle is more important in my opinion. And you just dont get that if you dont have the roots in the soil itself.
Old 08-17-15, 06:49 PM   #24
Tiny Boidae

I'm going to build it before I get the beauty, but the snake is still going to be in a tub for a little bit so I can keep a close eye on it for health problems and allow all of the life in the cage with it to get well adjusted, as well as to make sure everything is working properly. I don't think this is a species that'll be intimidated in a large cage at a young age, so as soon as the plants are good and I'm sure that the animal won't need medication, I'll plop her right into the cage.

I'll consider planting it directly into the soil. I really was getting bugs for the plants benefit, and all of the live plants in my girls cage (except some hanging vines that are planted into the rock wall) are planted directly into the substrate so I'll consider it for the rat snake too.
Old 08-24-15, 08:12 PM   #25
jjhill001

You could use pic boards.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-24-15, 08:12 PM   #26
jjhill001

Pvc* sorry about that. Edit isn't working on my tablet right now.
Old 10-11-15, 05:19 AM   #27
Georgia

Grass or sod is a good option. I'm looking into that myself.
Old 01-17-16, 03:36 PM   #28
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Isn't grass extremely difficult to grow in a vivarium? I have heard that but I haven't put any in my vivs.
Closed Thread