sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-14, 08:15 PM   #16
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas
Re: how much do you interact with your snakes?

I rarely handle my BRB, my Grey Banded and My Ball Python anymore, and when I do, it's maybe for five minutes....My Kenyans I handle a little more often, but still not like I used to when I first got them. Maybe once or twice a week for the sand boas, and once a month, if that, for the others...
Old 01-07-14, 03:36 PM   #17
marvelfreak
Captain America

Kind of depends on the snake and how well it takes to handling, plus it's age. Babies i handle more often to get them use to it. Older snakes maybe a couple times a month. Then you have snakes that are like my yellow Anaconda and the White Lipped Python i just sold. They hate being handled so they only got handle when it a must. I just don't see the need in stressing them out.
Old 01-08-14, 11:03 AM   #18
Sophia'sSophia

As far as temps go, if they get most of their heat from their belly's contact (which they do), then it's not so much the temp of the air which matters, but what it's sitting on.

As for time, I think it depends on the snake more than anything. I handle two of mine whenever I have time, usually for 30min-a few hours, because they are extremely calm and tolerant of handling. Hell I've had an instance where it seemed the snake was asking to come out. If one is hunger striking it gets minimal to no handling, though. Then there's the third, a plain bellied WS, which gets minimal handling. He's just nervous bugger who'll not rest easy with you, so of course I respect his comfort level and don't bother him much.

See some people might say they need it once a week and no more, but I figure there's no one rule that fits all snakes. If I had to proffer one, though, it'd be "Pay attention to your snake."
Old 01-08-14, 12:44 PM   #19
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I don't handle my animals often. For larger species like my Burm, I open the cage and let the snake crawl around for a few minutes to get exercise. I handle smaller pythons when I am changing substrate.

These days, I keep mostly venomous species, so interaction is limited to daily misting and watering, and feedings every 7-14 days.
Old 01-08-14, 01:54 PM   #20
TheFrogman

Send a message via Skype™ to TheFrogman

I try to interact with everyone one of my snakes at least every other night, true they simply tolerate us but I believe that the more you handle them the more they will accept you and tolerate you.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-08-14, 02:09 PM   #21
thinkbig317

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogman View Post
I try to interact with everyone one of my snakes at least every other night, true they simply tolerate us but I believe that the more you handle them the more they will accept you and tolerate you.
I like this answer and feel the same way!
Old 01-08-14, 02:18 PM   #22
pdomensis

I pull my carpet out 2-3x per week for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. I got him to be handled. It's almost hypnotic to have a snake going hand to hand and through your fingers.
Old 01-08-14, 05:07 PM   #23
vjdragonfly

I have heard taking them out of their environment does stress them out, so it is best not so frequently or as long. They do need exercise though. I try and get mine out at least 15 minutes once a week.
Dumeril Boa (Medusa), Colombian Red Tail (Reaper), Ball Python (Leviathan), Jungle Carpet Python (Paodi), Ghost Corn (Wraith), Brazilian Rainbow (Diablo), 2 Savannah Monitors (Kuro & Entei), Chinese Water Dragon (Zeus), and Red Iguana (Phoenix)
Old 01-09-14, 12:10 PM   #24
BIGT FROM F.B.

I usually get my 2 out 1 or 2 times a week. Especially when changing water or cleaning out the substrate. I just handle them enough so they don't become accustomed to never being touched.
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, care, handling, pet, snake