Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-13, 12:55 AM   #16
Mikoh4792

Re: Smaller Carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
Yes... none available in the trade over there. Cowley and Innisfail JCPs. Innisfail JCPs top out at 4 foot.
how about palmerstons? They don't get much bigger than 4 feet either. They've been bred in the UK for several generations now.
Old 12-12-13, 01:31 AM   #17
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Have you actually seen an adult Palmerston that's just over 4 foot?

Not having a go mate but a genuine question...

I'd be very surprised if you find 5 year old Palmerstons OS that are under 5 foot... specially a breeding female.

Not saying they aren't outside of Oz... but if I was over there and somebody was selling me a "Palmerston" first thing I would ask is a genuine pic of the mother next to a tape measure.

But to answer your question... yes Palmerston adults are around the 5 foot mark generally under.
Old 12-12-13, 11:08 AM   #18
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
Have you actually seen an adult Palmerston that's just over 4 foot?

Not having a go mate but a genuine question...

I'd be very surprised if you find 5 year old Palmerstons OS that are under 5 foot... specially a breeding female.

Not saying they aren't outside of Oz... but if I was over there and somebody was selling me a "Palmerston" first thing I would ask is a genuine pic of the mother next to a tape measure.

But to answer your question... yes Palmerston adults are around the 5 foot mark generally under.
5 foot is enough for me to call it small haha. Even IJ's get bigger than that.

What about tullies? how big do they get?
Old 12-12-13, 11:50 AM   #19
Derek Roddy

The problem when talking about size of captive animals is that "natural size" goes straight out the window.
Size in the wild is decided on one fact....the size of prey items in the area.

A jungle "line" in the wild may very well top out at 5 feet but, can easily be raised to 8 in a box with consistent food source.

Your food regimen will be the deciding factor of how big your snakes get.

D
Old 12-12-13, 11:54 AM   #20
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
The problem when talking about size of captive animals is that "natural size" goes straight out the window.
Size in the wild is decided on one fact....the size of prey items in the area.

A jungle "line" in the wild may very well top out at 5 feet but, can easily be raised to 8 in a box with consistent food source.

Your food regimen will be the deciding factor of how big your snakes get.

D
Would that be the same for the bigger jungles?(The ones that get around 6-8ft or so, but with big meals they can get to 10ft....etc)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-12-13, 12:07 PM   #21
formica

I think really we are talking about average (median?) sizes, rather than potential size or natural size, so an average snake, on an average diet in average environment (statistically speaking, i dont mean sub-optimum). no point complicating it lol
Old 12-12-13, 12:09 PM   #22
formica

UK Pythons has drawn me away from thinking about specific localities tbh, I may still go with one, but seen a few nice morphs and I'm tempted to get a pair now lol
Old 12-12-13, 01:08 PM   #23
Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by formica View Post
UK Pythons has drawn me away from thinking about specific localities tbh, I may still go with one, but seen a few nice morphs and I'm tempted to get a pair now lol
which ones?
Old 12-12-13, 01:31 PM   #24
formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
which ones?

narrowed it down to Jag het Axanthic, Caramel Jag and Caramel Jungle Jag, or maybe a het Granite...still cant deciede yet

I'd quite like to pair up 2 caramels, or 2 het axanthic irians, I want two diffrent colors, but with the chance of breeding a nice caramel or axanthic, without the price tag lol...decisions decisions!
Old 12-12-13, 02:02 PM   #25
Donnie

You made me have a peek at his website which is never good as the temptation sometimes gets me and he is now selling roughies. £5000/pair well out my price range but it will be interesting to see how quickly the price drops on the next few years.
Old 12-12-13, 02:17 PM   #26
dbank999

Okay that site is really bad for my bank account

Those roughies

Formica I like all of your choices, may I suggest more to add to the already tough decision? lol
Old 12-12-13, 02:32 PM   #27
Derek Roddy

Quote:
I think really we are talking about average (median?) sizes, rather than potential size or natural size, so an average snake, on an average diet in average environment (statistically speaking, i dont mean sub-optimum). no point complicating it lol
As soon as you put an animal in a box, averages go out the window.

I'll give you an example.

I bred IJ/WPs for many years...starting in 98/99 til about 2009/10 or so.
The wild caught animals I started with were around 4 1/2 feet at the big end of the size. The offspring raised under my care got to about 5 1/2- 6 feet but, other animals I sold raised by other people have gotten to 6 - 8 with one guys adult females being almost 10 feet....an IJ!!!!

Ask any of those keepers how they've fed those animals and they all say "average".

The only average that exist is in relation to how you feed. You feed big meal often, they get bigger than animals fed smalls not so often.

Average size can only be measured when all animals in a particular area have access to the same food sources....something they don't have in captivity.

D
Old 12-12-13, 05:37 PM   #28
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Median... for "Palmerstons" is 5 foot in captivity. That's the median top out, some smaller than others depending on captive husbandry as Derek said. I have sen a lot of palmerstons... longest one I have seen is 5.5 foot at 8 years old (female).
Old 12-12-13, 05:41 PM   #29
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
5 foot is enough for me to call it small haha. Even IJ's get bigger than that.

What about tullies? how big do they get?
My Tully male is 6 feet at 4 years old... seems to be consistent with the rest of my peers that keep them... Atherthons probably around 8 foot, my Atherthon female is just shy of 6 feet at 3 years old - no doubt she will get bigger.
Old 12-13-13, 10:26 AM   #30
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
You made me have a peek at his website which is never good as the temptation sometimes gets me and he is now selling roughies. £5000/pair well out my price range but it will be interesting to see how quickly the price drops on the next few years.
i'm thinking 3 or 4 years from now they will be cheap mate.....

easy to breed with decent sized clutches = market flooded and prices dropped

i fancy a pair of roughies once the crazy prices drop

cheers shaun
Closed Thread