Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-17, 06:20 PM   #16
Catherine

Re: Doing Snake Presentation at School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger View Post
I did a presentation yesterday and several people asked why the snakes don't bite. We talked about why other animals don't bite, and why people don't bite each other. Explain about why animals defend themselves, and possibly add the exception snakes(Some mambas) that actually are aggressive to keep the kids from going out and catching their own snakes.

Another topic that comes up a lot is the fear of snakes, and you could talk about how many people have irrational fears like heights, closed spaces, and spiders so those who do not like snakes understand it is ok to have different thoughts than other people, and everyone is is disturbed by something. I hope it goes well, and you and the students have a fun time!
Ah. Yes. I'll make sure to mention that. Thanks!
Old 03-05-17, 10:04 PM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
I have already cleared it with the principal and vice-principal. Also the teacher I'm doingoing the presentation with. And I'm also bringing a paper for students to sign. Even though ball pythons are one of the more docile snakes. I'm also bringing stuff to use if she were to bite anyone. Thank you for your concern. But I've had my snake for 4 years and she's never bitten me or my 4 year old brother or ANYONE in my family when there's a party. So I'm not too worried about her attacking someone.
That isn't the only worry. Some parents will worry about salmonella. Even though a healthy child should not get sick, especially if everyone sanitizes their hands, people will still worry about it.

I would make sure you have in writing that the school is allowing you to bring your animal, and have in writing that you are not liable if any damages are done from bringing the snakes. If all you have are signed papers from the parents saying their child can handle/be around the snake, then all you can be cleared on is the interactions with the other students. If the school decides to say they never said it was ok for you to bring the snake, legally they are right. Have everything in paper and signed, even if you're 100% sure the snake won't bite. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-05-17, 10:13 PM   #18
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
That isn't the only worry. Some parents will worry about salmonella. Even though a healthy child should not get sick, especially if everyone sanitizes their hands, people will still worry about it.

I would make sure you have in writing that the school is allowing you to bring your animal, and have in writing that you are not liable if any damages are done from bringing the snakes. If all you have are signed papers from the parents saying their child can handle/be around the snake, then all you can be cleared on is the interactions with the other students. If the school decides to say they never said it was ok for you to bring the snake, legally they are right. Have everything in paper and signed, even if you're 100% sure the snake won't bite. Better to be safe than sorry.
BSG: working in the public school system formerly myself, and volunteering my time even to this day, what she has done is amply sufficient. Even if the snake does bite, she would not be liable according to legislation. The teacher merely needs to consent to the presentation in order for her rights to be protected as a minor. If this were college, that would be a different story.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-06-17, 08:27 AM   #19
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Unless you've gotten written permission from the school, liability covered, and you either do not let any of the students touch the animal or you have them all sign papers, do not bring your snake to school. You could cause a whole lot of legal trouble for yourself if you do so without having everything squared away beforehand.

I did a presentation back in high school about my snakes in my biology class and brought some in, about 10 of them from what I remember (12 years ago!!!), ranging from baby corn snakes to adult carpet pythons. I didn't let anyone touch anything because of the slight chance of something happening and the only permission I needed was from my teacher. I find this to be the safest approach (hands off) without causing any issue. I feel that the issues mentioned in the above quote are worth noting even though we are much more relaxed about these issues up here (for now...).
Old 03-06-17, 10:13 AM   #20
GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I did a presentation back in high school about my snakes in my biology class and brought some in, about 10 of them from what I remember (12 years ago!!!), ranging from baby corn snakes to adult carpet pythons. I didn't let anyone touch anything because of the slight chance of something happening and the only permission I needed was from my teacher. I find this to be the safest approach (hands off) without causing any issue. I feel that the issues mentioned in the above quote are worth noting even though we are much more relaxed about these issues up here (for now...).
10 snakes! oh my goodness! Did you have a helper?

Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-17, 11:34 AM   #21
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Nope. 10 snakes fit quite well in individual bags within a couple of shipping boxes and it was quite manageable. Just took 2 trips from the car.
Old 03-06-17, 01:06 PM   #22
GyGbeetle

I wish I trusted my kids to do something like this. I barely trust them taking their snakes out of their tanks.

Old 03-06-17, 08:14 PM   #23
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGbeetle View Post
BSG: working in the public school system formerly myself, and volunteering my time even to this day, what she has done is amply sufficient. Even if the snake does bite, she would not be liable according to legislation. The teacher merely needs to consent to the presentation in order for her rights to be protected as a minor. If this were college, that would be a different story.
Hmmm. That's possible. I was told by my councilors in high school that I'd have to have liability papers and all kinds of things to bring my snakes to class since I was a student and not a professional, and that because of that they couldn't allow me to bring them. I guess I just assumed that was across the board, I suppose it maybe depends on the school, and where you live. Or they were complaining about their need to have liability. Idk.

If they're all set to bring them to class, then everything sounds good, hopefully they'll change the minds of a few people (or solidify a love). A controlled, consenting environment like a pre-planned presentation is honestly our best way of educating the public, so I definitely 100% support a responsible presentation.
Old 03-07-17, 06:59 PM   #24
Catherine

Quote:
Hmmm. That's possible. I was told by my councilors in high school that I'd have to have liability papers and all kinds of things to bring my snakes to class since I was a student and not a professional, and that because of that they couldn't allow me to bring them. I guess I just assumed that was across the board, I suppose it maybe depends on the school, and where you live. Or they were complaining about their need to have liability. Idk.

If they're all set to bring them to class, then everything sounds good, hopefully they'll change the minds of a few people (or solidify a love). A controlled, consenting environment like a pre-planned presentation is honestly our best way of educating the public, so I definitely 100% support a responsible presentation.
Thank you. Yes. I have been working on the PowerPoint for some time now. And I will never shove the snake in someone's face or have them be close to the snake without their consent. I will even have people move to the back of the classroom if they wish
Old 03-07-17, 10:04 PM   #25
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Thank you. Yes. I have been working on the PowerPoint for some time now. And I will never shove the snake in someone's face or have them be close to the snake without their consent. I will even have people move to the back of the classroom if they wish
Exciting! It's definitely quite gracious of your school administration to allow you to bring your animal(s?) in for the presentation. Hands-on stuff always excites people more, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of people assume they're slimy. Which, oddly enough is one of the biggest reasons people fear them in my experience. Idk what it is about a slimy animal that puts them off so much?
Old 03-08-17, 06:12 PM   #26
Catherine

Quote:
Exciting! It's definitely quite gracious of your school administration to allow you to bring your animal(s?) in for the presentation. Hands-on stuff always excites people more, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of people assume they're slimy. Which, oddly enough is one of the biggest reasons people fear them in my experience. Idk what it is about a slimy animal that puts them off so much?
I know right? What's so scary about a slimy thing? People are willing to touch slime. But not a slimy animal? People these days. Lol
Old 03-10-17, 07:45 AM   #27
Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Someone mentioned disposable hand warming packs from an outdoors/sporting good store...they shouldn't get too hot; but you can put a barrier between snake and packs...something like a towel.

I'm the person who uses disposable hand warmers to transport snakes. If you do not put them in a towel or cloth bag, they will not work effectively at generating heat. You also have to make sure they(or the cloth) do not get wet, or they will stop working altogether. I recommend some home made drawstring bags, or just old socks to put them in.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, ball python, presentation, python, school