border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-13, 10:47 PM   #16
DestinyLynette

Re: Hasn't eaten since the beginning of March.

Not necessary was probably a better choice or words. A lot of people with the traditional tank set up struggle to keep it at the bare 50%, much less 70% consistently. I think 70% without misting / wet substrate is probably fine. The main concern with constant 70% is wet substrate I think, which obviously spikes a scale rot worried. 70% with dry substrate consistently is probably just fine. I hear you on that low tub thing; I had to solder an INSANE amount of holes in my 41qt to get it to drop down and not condense to the point I had water drip-dropping off the top. I just have to fill the water half way to keep my range; all the way and it's suddenly a rainforest in there.
0.1 Pastave [Persephone]
Old 08-03-13, 11:31 PM   #17
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyLynette
I hear you on that low tub thing; I had to solder an INSANE amount of holes in my 41qt to get it to drop down and not condense to the point I had water drip-dropping off the top. I just have to fill the water half way to keep my range; all the way and it's suddenly a rainforest in there.
Tell me about it lol. I have about 40 holes in my tubs and the ability to still maintain heat and moisture is insane.
Old 08-04-13, 02:22 PM   #18
Snowshoes

try freezing it and then re-thawing it? For some reason, I've heard people have had good luck with that. Personally, I feed mine live.
Old 08-05-13, 11:17 AM   #19
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

I do not mist my BP's enclosure, and there is no condensation, so no worry of wet substrate.
I use the water dish to humidify his tub. I have a large dish and a small dish, the large dish I use in the winter when humidity is low and the small one I use in the summer. The reason it was at 70% is because in July the general humidity in my house/outside was 60%. With the water dish in his tub it put it up to 70%, but I didn't want to take his dish away so had no way of lowering it.
I'm thinking of putting some extra holes in the lid.
Humidity is back at 60% now in case anyone is wondering.

I have given him smaller hide and he seems to really like being squeezed into a small space. Hopefully that will make him feel a little safer too and he will eat soon!! Keeping my fingers crossed.
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 08-05-13, 11:28 AM   #20
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
I do not mist my BP's enclosure, and there is no condensation, so no worry of wet substrate.
I use the water dish to humidify his tub. I have a large dish and a small dish, the large dish I use in the winter when humidity is low and the small one I use in the summer. The reason it was at 70% is because in July the general humidity in my house/outside was 60%. With the water dish in his tub it put it up to 70%, but I didn't want to take his dish away so had no way of lowering it.
I'm thinking of putting some extra holes in the lid.
Humidity is back at 60% now in case anyone is wondering.

I have given him smaller hide and he seems to really like being squeezed into a small space. Hopefully that will make him feel a little safer too and he will eat soon!! Keeping my fingers crossed.
An increase to 70% over the course of a few weeks won't hurt the snake. Condensation on the sides of the bin aren't even a big deal. It's wet substrate. Which is how scale rot would set in if the snake was left in it for a prolonged period of time. I mean a long time.

Like I said before, they love tight spaces. Tighter, the better.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-05-13, 02:26 PM   #21
snakeman879

U say u feed live to ur snake do u supervise whilst its eating?? I saw loads ov really bad pics when the rat. Took chunks out ov a bp and sadly the snake had to be uthenized. Dont get why people risk it unless thats all the snake will eat.
Old 08-05-13, 02:32 PM   #22
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman879 View Post
U say u feed live to ur snake do u supervise whilst its eating?? I saw loads ov really bad pics when the rat. Took chunks out ov a bp and sadly the snake had to be uthenized. Dont get why people risk it unless thats all the snake will eat.
Don't leave it in overnight and you're safe.

Also, rats usually don't do that. Mice do.
Old 08-05-13, 02:36 PM   #23
snakeman879

O U say u feed ur bp live do u stay whilst the bp is constricti ?? Have seen disgusting pics ov bp that have been eaten alive by the rat/mouse I dont c the need to feed live pray unless that is all the snake wull eat
Old 08-05-13, 02:44 PM   #24
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman879 View Post
O U say u feed ur bp live do u stay whilst the bp is constricti ?? Have seen disgusting pics ov bp that have been eaten alive by the rat/mouse I dont c the need to feed live pray unless that is all the snake wull eat
My adults don't eat live.

My fresh babies eat live mice or rats for their first couple meals.

I drop in their food. Close the bin and come back 15 minutes later. Either it's eaten or it's not. If not, it's removed.

It's not like mice or even a rat are vicious killing animals always looking to eat your snake. It takes time for it to happen.
Old 08-06-13, 03:25 PM   #25
Nobodyspecial

Pareeeeeee - I dunno if your ball still hasn't eaten yet, but I figured I'd throw this out there. I've noticed a trend with my balls. Once they're about a year old they'll start getting picky about how I present the food. They no longer want the "zombie dance" off the tongs- I had a few refuse to eat for awhile, but when I just put the warmed up rat inside the cage tub in front of their hide and walked away they took it just fine. Picky little creatures. Its like they finally figured out that "Hey that's not how rats move! What the heck!?"

May of just been my animals, but its worth a shot?
1.1 pastel BP, 0.2 normal BP, 0.1 Albino BP. 1.0 Boa, 1.1 Black labs, 0.1 Springer spaniel, 1.0 golden retriever mutt, 0.1 cocker spaniel mutt, and 2.0.8 fish, of varying species. I love my babies. <3
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-13, 06:39 PM   #26
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyspecial View Post
Pareeeeeee - I dunno if your ball still hasn't eaten yet, but I figured I'd throw this out there. I've noticed a trend with my balls. Once they're about a year old they'll start getting picky about how I present the food. They no longer want the "zombie dance" off the tongs- I had a few refuse to eat for awhile, but when I just put the warmed up rat inside the cage tub in front of their hide and walked away they took it just fine. Picky little creatures. Its like they finally figured out that "Hey that's not how rats move! What the heck!?"

May of just been my animals, but its worth a shot?
Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time.
Old 09-07-13, 08:57 PM   #27
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Finally had no choice but to assist feed him a couple days ago. I didn't want to do it, but over the last few weeks he started losing weight and I noticed a triangular shape to his body with a slight ridge down his spine.

Good news is that the assist feed went well (for him anyway!). I took the f/t rat with the tongs and gently wiggled it into his mouth, and he suddenly remembered (for the first time in months!) that hey...rats are food! I got this crazy feeding response, he grabbed the mouse and wrapped around my hand and wrist. Was interesting, he tightened more and more every time I had an involuntary twitch in my hand. I waited and waited for what seemed like ten minutes, finally had to carefully and slowly peel him off of me. My hand was pulsing and red when it was all over, but he ate the rat and I'm going to feed him again in a couple days. (Hopefully I don't have to assist next time)

Also, I'm having trouble getting his heat constant. Could it be the fact that I have too much ventilation under the heat mat and fluctuations in room temperature mess with the thermostat probe? I checked both my thermostats and they are both doing the same thing. I also bought a new heat mat to see if it was the problem, but still having issues. All I can think of is too much ventilation. I will take a pic of the setup shortly to see if you guys have any info.
Old 09-07-13, 09:01 PM   #28
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
Finally had no choice but to assist feed him a couple days ago. I didn't want to do it, but over the last few weeks he started losing weight and I noticed a triangular shape to his body with a slight ridge down his spine.

Good news is that the assist feed went well (for him anyway!). I took the f/t rat with the tongs and gently wiggled it into his mouth, and he suddenly remembered (for the first time in months!) that hey...rats are food! I got this crazy feeding response, he grabbed the mouse and wrapped around my hand and wrist. Was interesting, he tightened more and more every time I had an involuntary twitch in my hand. I waited and waited for what seemed like ten minutes, finally had to carefully and slowly peel him off of me. My hand was pulsing and red when it was all over, but he ate the rat and I'm going to feed him again in a couple days. (Hopefully I don't have to assist next time)

Also, I'm having trouble getting his heat constant. Could it be the fact that I have too much ventilation under the heat mat and fluctuations in room temperature mess with the thermostat probe? I checked both my thermostats and they are both doing the same thing. I also bought a new heat mat to see if it was the problem, but still having issues. All I can think of is too much ventilation. I will take a pic of the setup shortly to see if you guys have any info.
Don't feed him again so soon. Wait at least 5 days between feedings. I'd do 7 as assist feeding is stressful.

Have you tried placing the probes in different places for thermostat? The air temp in the room could be screwing with it a bit, yes.
Old 09-07-13, 09:11 PM   #29
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

EDIT: thanks Aaron for the quick response.

Here's the heat mat. I think the grate on my new rack is the problem. Never had this problem in the old wooden stand I had him in.

Thermostat probe. Maybe I'll try insulating the probe against the mat, any suggestions on insulating materials?
Old 09-07-13, 09:41 PM   #30
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I'm not the greatest with insulation materials so someone else would be better to ask.

Hmm, you should be okay but it could be the ventilation affecting the heat mats/thermostats.

What kind of t-stats are you using?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, not eating, python, silly