border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-12, 04:07 PM   #16
Snakefood
mamma bear

Re: feeder mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Shame breeding rodents isnt like breeding dubias lol, you get too many and you feed em to the birds :P At least you can sell surplus rodents
Definately!!

the majority of my customer base is for larger prey, rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs and jumbo rats. But as I sell the planned on babies, I can get a customer base going for the smaller prey too (mice)

Until then I have 3 that take jumbo mice, 2 that take adult mice, and 1 that is on lrg pinkies and who will probably move up to fuzzy in the next month or so.
Old 01-16-12, 04:30 PM   #17
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Shame breeding rodents isnt like breeding dubias lol, you get too many and you feed em to the birds :P At least you can sell surplus rodents
Thats the whole idea. Use what we can and sell the surplus. It definitely helps to pay for the hobby. I have soimebody coming over right now to buy some snake food. I think its great.
Old 01-16-12, 04:33 PM   #18
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefood View Post
Definately!!

the majority of my customer base is for larger prey, rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs and jumbo rats. But as I sell the planned on babies, I can get a customer base going for the smaller prey too (mice)

Until then I have 3 that take jumbo mice, 2 that take adult mice, and 1 that is on lrg pinkies and who will probably move up to fuzzy in the next month or so.
Our customer base usually gets mice of all sizes and rats up to small size althogh a few get mediums. If they get past that stage, we have a customer who gets 24 jumbos at a time. That small prey customer base comes sure in handy.
Old 01-16-12, 04:58 PM   #19
Snakefood
mamma bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
Our customer base usually gets mice of all sizes and rats up to small size althogh a few get mediums. If they get past that stage, we have a customer who gets 24 jumbos at a time. That small prey customer base comes sure in handy.
and that was what it was like in our area before I started to breed rabbits and such. I originally was breeding meat rabbits for my freezer alone, but had a first time mother not "pluck" and so her babies froze (winter litter), I put them up on the net as frozen snake food and it went from there. I got so many responses hoping I bred rabbits for snake food, so I got a few more F rabbits and did so. These guys pay $10 for a 4-6 week rabbit and more for anything bigger!! So I found a previously non existant niche to fit into to earn a little extra $$ and it's how I became interested in having my own snakes!!

I figure as I sell my baby snakes, I'll just let people know they can come to me for food for thier snakes too, and will build the small prey customer base from there.
Old 01-16-12, 05:03 PM   #20
beardeds4life

Ya would I be able to do that with other feeders (crickets and worms) becuase I currently can not keep snakes :'( but have tons and tons and tons of worms and stuff
Login to remove ads
Old 01-16-12, 05:49 PM   #21
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
and that was what it was like in our area before I started to breed rabbits and such. I originally was breeding meat rabbits for my freezer alone, but had a first time mother not "pluck" and so her babies froze (winter litter), I put them up on the net as frozen snake food and it went from there. I got so many responses hoping I bred rabbits for snake food, so I got a few more F rabbits and did so. These guys pay $10 for a 4-6 week rabbit and more for anything bigger!! So I found a previously non existant niche to fit into to earn a little extra $$ and it's how I became interested in having my own snakes!!

I figure as I sell my baby snakes, I'll just let people know they can come to me for food for thier snakes too, and will build the small prey customer base from there.
I think its great that you got into keeping snakes as a result of breeding feeders. With us, we got into breeding feeders as a result of keeping snakes. I think though, because of the maket here and the Des Moines 6' limit, we are better suited for rats and mice as opposed to anything larger. I am impressed with your ability to find that niche with the larger prey items and I hope that goes well for you as well.
Old 01-16-12, 05:56 PM   #22
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
Ya would I be able to do that with other feeders (crickets and worms) becuase I currently can not keep snakes :'( but have tons and tons and tons of worms and stuff
Im not sure where you live and what the market is like there but my guess is that you will be able to find people who need feeders like worms and dubias, especially if there are a lot of lizard people who live where you are and some smaller snakes will eat these as well. The best place to start finding people is forums like this. Thats where we got our start and right now, our contact info is getting passed around. We get people calling us for rats or mice whom we never heard from before.

We are considering dubias for the lizard people we know, since we dont keep any ourselves, but only time will tell.
Old 01-16-12, 06:32 PM   #23
beardeds4life

I cant keep dubia eiher but i see sooooo many people do that is my area who charge outrageous prices $20 for 1,000 mealworms AND that does not include shipping because it is local. I might make a website and I sell them for $12 shipped I have no idea who in the world pays that I know I wouldnt
Old 01-16-12, 06:42 PM   #24
Snakefood
mamma bear

Definately make the website, but don't forget to advertise in the free classifieds online. That is where I get most of my business. After my last post I went back to kijiji to put up a new ad, and have already gotten one new response.
Old 01-16-12, 06:52 PM   #25
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

There's also Craigslist but Id be careful with the clientele that produces. Definitely meet new people at a neutral location (store parking lots, parks etc)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-16-12, 07:10 PM   #26
Snakefood
mamma bear

I have a personal boycott going against craigslist. I have always been a part of dog rescue and every time I put a bully breed up for adoption on CL, it get's flagged and removed, but all other non-bully dogs I list, from the same rescue, same adoption fee, ect gets to stay up!!

Problem with CL is that, it only takes 3 "flags" to remove a post, and that is without any moderator. So 3 people don't like bully breeds and flag the posts, and those dogs adoption ad is GONE!! and IMO thats BS!!
Old 01-16-12, 07:12 PM   #27
theapexgerman
Banned

i buy a lot of stuff on CL
Old 01-16-12, 07:15 PM   #28
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
I have a personal boycott going against craigslist. I have always been a part of dog rescue and every time I put a bully breed up for adoption on CL, it get's flagged and removed, but all other non-bully dogs I list, from the same rescue, same adoption fee, ect gets to stay up!!

Problem with CL is that, it only takes 3 "flags" to remove a post, and that is without any moderator. So 3 people don't like bully breeds and flag the posts, and those dogs adoption ad is GONE!! and IMO thats BS!!
I understand that and personally I dont have a lot of faith in people I meet on CL but there are some who are friends of mine now since I got to know them. Its just an option among many.
Old 01-16-12, 07:21 PM   #29
Snakefood
mamma bear

Yes, I use kijiji and have gotten a couple regular customers and a couple on again, off again customers. So I just keep going that way.

I am also renting a table at the next show, hopefully I'll have some baby snakes to sell that weekend, but if not, I'll still have a freezer of food, my artsy and natural backgrounds and hand made hides and climbs!!
Old 01-16-12, 07:50 PM   #30
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
I cant keep dubia eiher but i see sooooo many people do that is my area who charge outrageous prices $20 for 1,000 mealworms AND that does not include shipping because it is local. I might make a website and I sell them for $12 shipped I have no idea who in the world pays that I know I wouldnt
Honestly you make me giggle! 1000 superworms would cost $200 here. So I look at 1000 mealies for $20 as a kicking deal! Also look into shipping cost cause if it cost $6 to ship you're only making $6 per thousand. Something tells me it takes awhile to get 1000 meal worms.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread