Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-14, 06:04 AM   #16
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Re: Reptile Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiletalk View Post
Ok i will lower down the humidity levels to 50-60 and 70 on shedding period. I crossed many care sheets to end up with these humidity levels but of course personal experience from owners is more accurate. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Now what do you suggest from your experience for feeding schedule (adults)?
to be honest mate it's hard to give one schedule fits all.....

re putting them all on the same schedule
i have some carpets who start to get fat while others stay nice lean and muscular

imo it's an individual thing

as a general guide anything from every 2 to 5 weeks,i have adults who will keep their shape getting fed every 3 to 5 weeks,others need fed every 2 to 4 weeks

i feed large prey less often,as opposed to more frequent smaller prey...

that said i have 2 adults that will only take small prey,instead of a large or jumbo rat,they prefer 2 small rats and hold their shape no problem

here's the Carpet Care sheet i usually recommend to new Carpet Keepers mate...
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...qyVmrNmYR9OGKw

it's a good guide to get folk started as a general guide,i always recommend watching each Carpet and fine tuning the info to suit each Carpet...

for example temps,i have some Carpets who prefer it hotter,others who prefer it cooler,than recommended temps

keep up the good work mate

all the best,shaun
Old 12-22-14, 09:34 AM   #17
natsirtremraf

I haven't got to look at a lot of them, but I did notice in the Emerald Tree Boa Care sheet, under Diet, it only talks about baby feeding durations, and repeats it twice, instead of stating adult feeding. Maybe a copy-paste error?
Old 12-22-14, 10:43 AM   #18
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsirtremraf View Post
I haven't got to look at a lot of them, but I did notice in the Emerald Tree Boa Care sheet, under Diet, it only talks about baby feeding durations, and repeats it twice, instead of stating adult feeding. Maybe a copy-paste error?
Most probably. I will check this . Thanks for the feedback. Do you find the website easy to navigate and helpful?

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-23-14, 10:38 AM   #19
natsirtremraf

Yeah, I do like the layout of the page with nice large images of each animal. I would say from a user experience perspective. I really expected to be able to click the image in order to navigate to that particular animal's page. I know you have a way of viewing it larger and theres an icon for the link, but I didn't notice those for a bit, and was confused when I couldn't click the image for navigation.
Old 12-23-14, 12:08 PM   #20
Pirarucu

For the monitors, although the temperatures for the basking area are fine for ambient temperatures, the surface temperatures (measured with an infrared temperature gun) on the basking area need to be at least 55°C, and it needs to be large enough to cover the animal's entire body.
They also need a deep soil substrate to burrow and lay eggs in. For the Crocodile Monitor, an elevated nest box should be provided with heated soil inside. Females will lay whether they've bred or not, so it is crucial that they have somewhere to lay their eggs to prevent them from becoming egg bound. With a male, you can get away with not having this, but young monitors are impossible to sex so unless someone is buying a confirmed adult male, they should be providing a nesting area.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-24-14, 04:35 AM   #21
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirarucu View Post
For the monitors, although the temperatures for the basking area are fine for ambient temperatures, the surface temperatures (measured with an infrared temperature gun) on the basking area need to be at least 55°C, and it needs to be large enough to cover the animal's entire body.
They also need a deep soil substrate to burrow and lay eggs in. For the Crocodile Monitor, an elevated nest box should be provided with heated soil inside. Females will lay whether they've bred or not, so it is crucial that they have somewhere to lay their eggs to prevent them from becoming egg bound. With a male, you can get away with not having this, but young monitors are impossible to sex so unless someone is buying a confirmed adult male, they should be providing a nesting area.
Thanks for mentioning this. I will make the necessary changes today.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-24-14, 08:19 AM   #22
pdomensis

Is the page still active? I tried using it but couldn't call up any species, it would just enlarge the pics.
Old 12-24-14, 08:21 AM   #23
pdomensis

Never mind, I found the little link button. Though I would make the picture itself the link.
Old 12-24-14, 08:38 AM   #24
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomensis View Post
Never mind, I found the little link button. Though I would make the picture itself the link.
I will fix this soon.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-24-14, 10:21 AM   #25
pdomensis

Been looking through this a bit. It's a great resource. Here are some thoughts:

You need a section for Pituophis.

The requirements for carpets are very narrow in my opinion. Almost any bedding will work, and I think your humidity is too high, or at least you could drop the low end to 40%.

I think it would be great if you could provide a photo example of a suitable enclosure, or a diagram showing how to set up a cage, hide location, heat source, probe location, etc.
Old 12-24-14, 10:41 AM   #26
poison123

Yo yo yo, where's the phibs?
Old 12-24-14, 04:36 PM   #27
reptiletalk

Quote:
Been looking through this a bit. It's a great resource. Here are some thoughts:

You need a section for Pituophis.

The requirements for carpets are very narrow in my opinion. Almost any bedding will work, and I think your humidity is too high, or at least you could drop the low end to 40%.

I think it would be great if you could provide a photo example of a suitable enclosure, or a diagram showing how to set up a cage, hide location, heat source, probe location, etc.
Giving a sample on an enclosure is a very good idea that i haven't thought about it. Thanks for your suggestions. There are more animals coming in the next weeks. I will make sure that pituophis snakes are part of the new group.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-24-14, 05:08 PM   #28
reptiletalk

Quote:
I changed the framework. I believe with the new way is more user friendly. Let me know what do you think. Any chance you can post any pics of your Bredli?

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-24-14, 06:50 PM   #29
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

re substrate and Carpets
over in the UK, i and a lot of other Carpet keepers don't use Aspen,as the dust content in it was causing mild respiratory symptoms in our Carpets

the Aspen may be better quality over in the States though ?

cheers shaun
Old 12-24-14, 07:54 PM   #30
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
re substrate and Carpets
over in the UK, i and a lot of other Carpet keepers don't use Aspen,as the dust content in it was causing mild respiratory symptoms in our Carpets

the Aspen may be better quality over in the States though ?

cheers shaun
I removed aspen and added some other substrates that are recommended.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
care, reptile