border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-12, 10:00 PM   #211
DiscoPat

Re: Monitor enclosure discussion thread

That is pretty cool, I saw around 50 or so babies in the grass area, I wonder if they will get big enough for Steve to eat as well.
Old 07-28-12, 10:03 PM   #212
infernalis

If they do, you may never know, Steve may just eat the evidence.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-28-12, 10:14 PM   #213
DiscoPat

That reminds me, I was wondering if it would be possible, no matter how difficult to create a somewhat self sustaining ecosystem in a large enclosure, like a 12x12x8 or like 20x20x8 something like that.
Old 07-28-12, 10:37 PM   #214
Pirarucu

I'm sure it would be possible with the 20x20 or bigger. 12x12 would be not likely, but 20x20 would be doable, and is something I intend to attempt one day. Though I may go for 30x20 if possible.
Old 07-28-12, 10:41 PM   #215
infernalis

Depends on what you mean by "self sustaining"

I doubt you could breed sufficient food within the enclosure.

If you could, how would you keep the lizard from eating it all.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-12, 10:48 PM   #216
DiscoPat

That is very true, I was thinking something that could hold itself for maybe a week or so at a time with no upkeep.

Also maybe there could be a cricket nest or something like that in a top corner and maybe some mouse nest through an area that they can leave but a monitor couldn't get in. it would be more of a thing for a full grown monitor.
Old 07-28-12, 11:15 PM   #217
Pirarucu

The trick would be making sure the monitor couldn't decimate the population. I would say that it is possible, but you would need insane amounts of prey animals, and you would need to throw them in there and let them multiply for a few months without a monitor around. Once the monitor was introduced, there would need to be plenty of places for the prey to hide that the monitor couldn't get to. You would probably also be feeding the monitor in addition to whatever it found to eat in the cage.
It's possible, but it would be very difficult and expensive.
Old 07-29-12, 05:14 AM   #218
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

If he were to put metal ammo boxes with holes cut out of the sides. Connect a PVC or steel pipe to act as an entrance that leads to the surface. If you used that for your rodent nests the sav would never be able get into it. Place several of these around the enclosure. Also you could put the can on its side and have the hinged top sticking out of the enclosure so you can keep an eye on the nest.
Old 07-29-12, 11:18 AM   #219
DiscoPat

Could also probably use the same concept for crickets, which would also clean up the enclosure as well. have a few plants. maybe get a small tree like 4 feet high and plant it in the dirt initially for roots and easy areas to burrow.
Old 07-31-12, 10:56 AM   #220
Pirarucu

I would say that for one, you would need plants out the wazoo. My attempt will incorporate tall grasses to break up sight lines (Preferably something native to African Savannas, but Mexican Feather Grass caught my eye too..) Then lots of bushes and small trees that put off edible berries and fruits for the prey animals to eat. I may also have a few concealed feeders filled with food for them, which I would keep full. I would then throw in a crap ton of worms, crickets, roaches, snails, slugs, etc. I would most likely have a small pond in there as well, stocked with fish and crayfish. I would then let the whole thing sit for a few months to let the populations stabilize. Then the sav would be added, and allowed to feed himself, with rodents being offered by hand. Supporting a sustainable population of rodents in the enclosure would be much harder than populations of bugs, I wouldn't even try.

Last edited by Pirarucu; 07-31-12 at 11:02 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-31-12, 10:58 AM   #221
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirarucu View Post
I would say that for one, you would need plants out the wazoo. My attempt will incorporate tall grasses to break up sight lines (Preferably something native to African Savannahs, but Mexican Feather Grass caught my eye too..) Then lots of bushes and small trees that put off edible berries and fruits for the prey animals to eat. I may also have a few concealed feeders filled with food for them, which I would keep full. I would then throw in a crap ton of worms, crickets, roaches, snails, slugs, etc. I would most likely have a small pond in there as well, stocked with fish and crayfish. I would then let the whole thing sit for a few months to let the populations stabilize. Then the sav would be added, and allowed to feed himself, with rodents being offered by hand. Supporting a sustainable population of rodents in the enclosure would be much harder than populations of bugs, I wouldn't even try.

Although I admire the thought behind this, I would think you would need a 10 acre enclosure to sustain it.

In a smaller enclosure, how would you prevent the lizard from just wiping out every living thing in the enclosure?

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-31-12, 12:08 PM   #222
jarich

Well, first he would dig up all the plants trying to get to the bugs. Actually it would be a whole lot of work, but really fun to watch for that first couple days
Old 07-31-12, 12:43 PM   #223
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Finding a way to make a mouse breeding area attached to the enclosure in such a way that only mice can enter/exit would actually be a cool idea. Your monitor would never know when a mouse might run by which is good mental stimulation.
Old 07-31-12, 01:01 PM   #224
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
Well, first he would dig up all the plants trying to get to the bugs. Actually it would be a whole lot of work, but really fun to watch for that first couple days

Mine destroy the grass very quickly now they are bigger.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-31-12, 03:14 PM   #225
Pirarucu

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Although I admire the thought behind this, I would think you would need a 10 acre enclosure to sustain it.

In a smaller enclosure, how would you prevent the lizard from just wiping out every living thing in the enclosure?
As I said, there would be hidden food boxes in the enclosure which would also serve as hiding places. I would shoot for a 30x20 cage with 3-4 feet of dirt and just one monitor, likely a female. As far as destroying the plants, 30x20 with a four foot lizard would be like when yours were only a few inches, and there would be only one. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work, and I'll just scrap the ecosystem idea and put something larger in, perhaps a few argus or niles. Maybe a smaller crocodilian. But I still intend to try, because were it to work...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread