border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-16, 10:15 AM   #1
skyler731

Breeding Boa Constrictors info please

Hi! So I bought a year-old Het T2 Anery Leopard CA boa constrictor (my first one) about a month ago and I recently got an offer from a breeder asking if I could loan him off to breed him with one of his females once he's old enough. This is my first time breeding and I really am a bit clueless when it comes to that. So, what are the dangers of breeding boas? Even though we would make a contract for the breeder to reimburse me for any harm that comes to the snake while he has him, I obviously would really like to prevent that from happening. Do male snakes come back from breeding as more aggressive, finicky, etc? He's my only snake and a truly beloved pet, so I would hate for him to come back with a different personality. Also, what are some tips as to how I should go about this deal? The breeder already went over the format of the contract and basics of the deal, but are there any other questions I should ask, or assurances I should make? Again, I'm pretty clueless about this so any help is greatly appreciated!!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-15-16, 02:26 PM   #2
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Breeding Boa Constrictors info please

The main thing I'm told that happens to males are blown hemipenes, apparently a lot of times it's the dominant one, too, so they often have to be retired. Sometimes males take their sweet time getting ready to breed, had someone tell me his male was 7 years old before he finally began courting and bred.

With females, they can become eggbound or otherwise ill from the gestation and die. I've heard of infected oviducts in corns, too, that resulted in their entire reproductive system needing to be surgically removed.

From what I hear, breeder loans are basically a bet on fate. You don't know what's going to happen while you lend that snake to someone else. It could come home mite-ridden and underweight, with an RI or some other illness. Personally, I don't think breeding loans are worth it unless you know the breeder very well and you have easy access to their breeding facility so you can check up on your snake. Whether or not you take the chance is up to you, that's just my .02.

Tags
boa breeding, boa constrictor, breeding, breeding boas, help please