border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-15, 05:05 PM   #16
cyanide

Re: When to handle and when to leave alone?

hahaha, Medusa is like that too but both ways, she'll grab any edge of her lock/ opening to stay in then she will do the same thing to stay out Like children and baths.
Old 07-29-15, 05:11 PM   #17
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
hahaha, Medusa is like that too but both ways, she'll grab any edge of her lock/ opening to stay in then she will do the same thing to stay out Like children and baths.
Exactly what my normal corn is doing every single time!
Old 07-30-15, 02:58 PM   #18
Sasha2

Can I ask why she is only eating hopper mice? My guy is less then three months old and inhales a hopper no problem. I would think a 15 mnth old would want bigger prey then hopper mice..I was told to switch to rat fuzzies too which are much bigger then hoppers.I havent yet because they seem a bit big but was going to try next feeding.
Looking at the pictures she is three times as big as my guy too.
Now Im confused.
Old 07-30-15, 07:37 PM   #19
pinefamily

Good point, Sasha2. Missed that with the handling issue.
Cyanide, you will find Medusa will be a lot calmer with the appropriate food size. Why is she on a diet? She doesn't look overweight. By the photos,she could even get a weaner rat down.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 07-31-15, 12:15 AM   #20
malgus

Unless its to clean out the cage I dont usually take mine out physically.
I open the cage and wait for her to come to me when shes ready. Takes her around 5 minutes to do it but its always on her terms
"In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed and blew it out."- Joker
Login to remove ads
Old 08-05-15, 11:19 PM   #21
cyanide

Sorry for super late reply!
I believe she WAS overweight, (could see skin between her scales, plus her body looked HUGE compared to her neck/head). She seems a good weight now and vet said she is perfect so I have put her onto rats. I only got little ones as she'd never had rats before and I'd rather she reject a smaller one than a larger one. I'll get bigger ones when these are done and just continue feeding every 5 days. (plus it's winter here)
I've been leaving my hand in the tank for 30min / changing her waters while shes roaming almost daily and while she rarely seems ready to strike she doesn't seem to want to come closer haha. I do want to clean her tank in a few days and am feeding her tonight. Would it be ok for a slightly more "hands-on" approach now she is used to my hand in there? I mean something like pulling out the stick she is on or hooking her from the corner of the tank/on top of the hide. (48 hours after she has eaten of course!) I really want to get back to handling, and be able to remove her for cleaning / any sort of emergency without stress.
Old 08-06-15, 02:24 AM   #22
pinefamily

Some snakes always seem to put up a bit of a struggle when trying to get them out. And some never get used to handling, but these are few and far between. Our big MD boy rarely is keen to come out, holding on to anything in reach, but once out is one of our calmest.
I'd keep putting your hands in there when she's roaming, and then after feeding/digesting time, simply pick her up when she's out of her hide. She may still struggle, but hopefully the striking is gone. Calmness and persistence from you is the key.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 08-06-15, 03:53 AM   #23
cyanide

Haha I think that's going to be the case with her too. Seriously, even her first time being handled properly she put up such a fight coming out but was soo chill, not a hint of a strike position or anything, just mosying around me looking for places to hide. I'm not worried at all about her temperament while handling I just want being removed to be as stress free for her as possible. She's eating right this minute so I'll try picking her up in a few days.
Old 08-07-15, 10:27 AM   #24
prairiepanda

If she does end up continuing to strongly resist being taken out despite all your efforts(after a few weeks of this acclimatization strategy) I would suggest you get her a hide that is fully enclosed except for the entrance. That way, you can take her out by just taking out the entire hide with her inside and avoid all the stress for both her and you. I'd do this as a last resort, though, because even though it would be quite useful for cleaning, rehousing, and other maintenance, it wouldn't help any with vet visits.

Good luck!
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 08-07-15, 07:56 PM   #25
cyanide

Funny you should say that! She used to have a hide that was like a cave system inside she would tuck herself in somuch I would just take out the hide and put it in a box for cleaning. She has two she can do that with but I've removed them to make handling easier. So I've got those in my arsenal if all else fails!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-08-15, 09:32 AM   #26
Sasha2

Ive just been using a hook for my little nipper. Once he is out I just lay him on my hand and he is fine as long as I dont move fast. I hope he tames way down before he gets as big as yours. My guy is still really small.
Closed Thread

Tags
carpet python, coastal carpet python, handling, python, yearling python