border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-15, 02:23 PM   #61
sirtalis

Re: How often should a one year old 4 foot long retic eat

Heck, I only have 2 leopard geckos, and have only handled a few snakes ever but I can easily tell that your prey is way to big
Old 06-19-15, 03:14 PM   #62
CosmicOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM955 View Post
I ask for further detail.
These fat deposits are where the snakes body bulges near the tail? From the picture it appears the body slims down then expands near the back end.
Exactly. The body gets thinner, then thicker near the base of the tail and the abruptly becomes much thinner. There is nothing wrong with a snake having some extra body fat, but when a snake with a metabolism as high as a retic has fat deposits it is clearly being overfed.
Old 06-19-15, 04:46 PM   #63
RAD House

Personally I think he is both ignorant and a bad pet owner. He refused to do any research, which is shown by the fact that he continually has issues which can be avoided by even a miniscule amount of looking around. He asks questions, but then ignores any advice given. He treats his pets like property by doing whatever he wants with them regardless of the effects on them. This guy is the reason people like PETA and the ASPCA go after pet owners so aggressively. If everyone were responsible pet owners they would have no leg to stand on.
Old 06-20-15, 06:47 PM   #64
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKennedy View Post
My 6 foot boa taking down a rabbit with ease
Your boa is overweight. It does not have that classic loaf shape, and the muscles, even where it's constricting the rabbit, is very hard to distinguish even with the light back-lighting it. The rabbit looks a the right size for it, depending on how fluffy that fur is, but it looks like you're feeding it too often. How much do the rabbits weigh? If your boa is 6', you should be feeding it rabbits 4-8oz in weight.

And I agree, that lump should not even be present after the amount of time that has passed after it ate, that lump is very large. You need to step down in size.

YOUR BOA IS EXTREMELY OBESE. A 6' should NEVER EVER EVER EVER weigh 20 lbs, let alone 35!!!!!! How did you get it that heavy?????? Your boa should be 8-10lbs.

14 years is nowhere near as long as they can potentially live, she could still get another 14+ years if you cared for her properly.

That bulge in the retic's stomach should not be noticeable at all after 2 days, and it should be defecating 3-4 days after it eats with a proper meal.
Old 06-21-15, 09:58 AM   #65
Albert Clark

Kyle, you can love and care for your animals without showering them with excessive food to show it! Why don't you rechannel that care and love by keeping their enclosures super clean and or interacting with them more without a feeding being the sole reward? We are all trying to explain to you how important it is to phase out the overly large meals. Everyone is concerned about the health of the animals. If you really love and care for them then show it and give their jaws a break and let them get back to being the opportunistic creatures they are supposed to be. Stay in peace and not pieces. Good luck man. Its called comfort food and it leads to obesity!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-29-15, 12:17 PM   #66
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I'm looking through who commented and what has been said, it seems like nobody that actually has a significant amount of experience with these animals has really chimed in. Kyle, that size is fine, but I would feed every 10-14 if you're going to feed that size. It's big, but not too big. It looks weird in the first picture because it's still in his throat and he hasn't finished swallowing.
Old 06-29-15, 03:31 PM   #67
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
I'm looking through who commented and what has been said, it seems like nobody that actually has a significant amount of experience with these animals has really chimed in. Kyle, that size is fine, but I would feed every 10-14 if you're going to feed that size. It's big, but not too big. It looks weird in the first picture because it's still in his throat and he hasn't finished swallowing.
Are you sure? It had been 2 days and bulge hadn't even dissipated, he showed a picture of it later on and it still looked like it was going to burst from the meal. Shouldn't he go a bit longer than every 10-14 days with it being that large? Or does that depend on when the bulge ended up going away?

I just don't see this being a good staple size, even when spaced out. Snakes digest smaller, more frequent meals easier overall. It would be less stress on the snake's digestion to feed it smaller meals every week or biweekly. I don't see it hurting anything having a meal this size every once in awhile, though.
Old 06-29-15, 05:00 PM   #68
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I'm positive. It still shrunk which is good. If it hadn't shrunk at all then I would be concerned about another issue. If the meal is gone in 24 hours then the meal was too small. 10-14 days is fine for a meal of that size on a young snake. They're metabolisms are higher than an adult animal's so they'll digest it faster. I personally wouldn't have this be an "every meal" size myself, but if you space out the feedings a bit more it'll be fine.
Old 06-29-15, 05:57 PM   #69
RAD House

Why not feed the snake more reasonable portions every week? There is no reason to push the animal to it's limits. He is causing the animal undue stress. Who knows if this behavior would cause the animal an early death, but why risk it?

He was overfeeding the snake no matter how you look at it. I don't think he would have taken your advice to feed less often just as he refused to take any advice in the rest of his silly threads. Through out all his posts the only thing I learned about is that he treats the animal as a toy and not a living being that needs to be respected.
Old 06-29-15, 07:04 PM   #70
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
It's already been expressed that this is less of an issue for the retic, but the boa and ball python? Feeding a jumbo to a ball, and feeding the boa until it is obviously overweight...these need to change if he cares about his animals.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-29-15, 07:45 PM   #71
Albert Clark

You don't need experience with a animal to see that this prey item is insurmountably larger than what the animal should be eating at a sitting. Stevie Wonder could see that. Its unhealthy and unnecessary!
Old 06-29-15, 08:09 PM   #72
Mikoh4792

Sorry I left out that the ball was 2.5 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoh4792
but the boa and ball python? Feeding a jumbo to a ball, and feeding
Old 06-29-15, 09:40 PM   #73
sirtalis

Heck, the only experience I have with boas is that I held one, once.... but that food item looked massive, for both snakes.
Old 06-30-15, 10:18 AM   #74
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
Why not feed the snake more reasonable portions every week? There is no reason to push the animal to it's limits. He is causing the animal undue stress. Who knows if this behavior would cause the animal an early death, but why risk it?
Who knows why? Sometimes that's all the person has available. There could be a dozen reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
He was overfeeding the snake no matter how you look at it. I don't think he would have taken your advice to feed less often just as he refused to take any advice in the rest of his silly threads. Through out all his posts the only thing I learned about is that he treats the animal as a toy and not a living being that needs to be respected.
No, he wasn't. He asked a question. Sure he said he gave a 2.5 ft ball python a jumbo, but that doesn't mean he's going to feed jumbos to a 4 ft retic weekly. He said in post 49 he would feed jumbos every other week, which is exactly what I recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
It's already been expressed that this is less of an issue for the retic, but the boa and ball python? Feeding a jumbo to a ball, and feeding the boa until it is obviously overweight...these need to change if he cares about his animals.
I don't have a lot of experience with boas and balls which is why I only talked about the retic. Also, it's in the giants section. That said, It's hard to judge the size of the rabbit and the boa from that one picture. If it's a 10lb boa and a 2 lb rabbit then it's fine. Rabbits are shaped funny and the bodies kind of bunch up, but then stretch out and look really thin. I need to set some food out to thaw so if I remember I'll take two pictures to demonstrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
You don't need experience with a animal to see that this prey item is insurmountably larger than what the animal should be eating at a sitting. Stevie Wonder could see that. Its unhealthy and unnecessary!
No, it's not unhealthy for the retic. Unnecessary? Sure, but that doesn't make it harmful to the snake. If it was insurmountably larger then the animal wouldn't be able to eat it.

Insurmountable; adjective: too great to be overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
Heck, the only experience I have with boas is that I held one, once.... but that food item looked massive, for both snakes.
It was big, but that's not a reason not to feed it to the snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
Both snakes look obese. You can see the fat deposits building up near the retics tail.
Just saw this post. That's not fat deposits, that's poop, the snake is going to leave a stinky brown and/or white present.
Old 06-30-15, 10:46 AM   #75
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89
I don't have a lot of experience with boas and balls which is why I only talked about the retic. Also, it's in the giants section. That said, It's hard to judge the size of the rabbit and the boa from that one picture. If it's a 10lb boa and a 2 lb rabbit then it's fine. Rabbits are shaped funny and the bodies kind of bunch up, but then stretch out and look really thin. I need to set some food out to thaw so if I remember I'll take two pictures to demonstrate..
No need, I agree with you that the rabbit is not too big for the boa. I'm just stating that it is overweight.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread