border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-15, 07:50 AM   #16
Mikoh4792

Re: How often should a one year old 4 foot long retic eat

A jumbo rat for a 4 foot retic is not "too" big, but it most certainly is for a 2.5 foot ball python. Most snakes will eat what they can because they are opportunistic feeders and they don't know when their next meal will be. In captivity there is no reason to push their limits. I would advise feeding smaller meals from now on.

Could you post full body pictures of both the retic and ball python? I would like to see the size of the lumps the rats have left in their bodies.
Old 06-18-15, 09:16 AM   #17
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Seeing as how they get over 16 feet....4 feet IS a baby. =/
He is almost a year old. Pretty much a juvenile.
Old 06-18-15, 09:18 AM   #18
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
A jumbo rat for a 4 foot retic is not "too" big, but it most certainly is for a 2.5 foot ball python. Most snakes will eat what they can because they are opportunistic feeders and they don't know when their next meal will be. In captivity there is no reason to push their limits. I would advise feeding smaller meals from now on.

Could you post full body pictures of both the retic and ball python? I would like to see the size of the lumps the rats have left in their bodies.
My uncle doesn't have the ball python anymore. He traded it for a baby iguana. I will post pics tho of the retic later after work.
Old 06-18-15, 09:19 AM   #19
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKennedy View Post
My uncle doesn't have the ball python anymore. He traded it for a baby iguana. I will post pics tho of the retic later after work.
Was it done digesting the rat?
Old 06-18-15, 12:09 PM   #20
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Was it done digesting the rat?
Somewhat. Not 100 percent fully digested.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-15, 12:33 PM   #21
CosmicOwl

Quote:

It's not too big in the sense that it would outright kill the snake but it's not healthy to stress a snake by feeding prey items that push the limits of what it can handle. Just because a snake can eat something doesn't mean it should. A prey item that takes an hour to consume is unreasonably large. I'd say that the bigger issue here is that the OP asked for advice and when they didn't hear what they wanted to, they went ahead anyway.
Old 06-18-15, 12:41 PM   #22
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl
It's not too big in the sense that it would outright kill the snake but it's not healthy to stress a snake by feeding prey items that push the limits of what it can handle. Just because a snake can eat something doesn't mean it should..
That was my point, and why I put the word "too" in quotations.
Old 06-18-15, 12:55 PM   #23
bigsnakegirl785

Yeah I'd be saving the jumbos for 6' retics...a jumbo rat would be too big for a 6' boa constrictor (I have a 6' BCI and he gets large rats atm so that's the closest I have to compare which is why I included the boa constrictor bit), but if I'm not mistaken a 6' retic should be able to take jumbo rats?

A large meal like that should be ok for an occasional treat, but I would by no means be giving that size of meal regularly, as others have said, it would put too much strain on their system eating that big of meals regularly.
Old 06-18-15, 01:02 PM   #24
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Yeah I'd be saving the jumbos for 6' retics...a jumbo rat would be too big for a 6' boa constrictor (I have a 6' BCI and he gets large rats atm so that's the closest I have to compare which is why I included the boa constrictor bit), but if I'm not mistaken a 6' retic should be able to take jumbo rats?

A large meal like that should be ok for an occasional treat, but I would by no means be giving that size of meal regularly, as others have said, it would put too much strain on their system eating that big of meals regularly.
Well if it's not going to kill the snake by giving him large rats, then what is the problem? He is not obese or anything. He is healthy and active. I want him to reach maximum size which is also why I feed him large rats. A well fed snake that continues to grow at a rapid pace is the sign of a healthy snake. What do you mean a jumbo rat is too big for a 6 foot boa? I have a 6 foot red tail that proudly takes 2 jumbos during feeding time.
Old 06-18-15, 01:03 PM   #25
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossh27 View Post
The first picture reminds me of my brother after Christmas dinner.... Except this time he ate the entire turkey
LOL that's funny
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-15, 01:03 PM   #26
serpentgirl123

I agree with everything that has been commented so far. Also there is the danger of possible regurge (some people take it too lightly in my opinion) and obesity. Not too long ago, I was dealing with some one who weekly fed their 2yr old boa xl rats and needless to say the boa was far from being healthy and ended up dying not too long later. My motto has always been slower, steady, and healthy sized meals=healthy snakes=healthier breeders (haven't gotten there yet).
Old 06-18-15, 01:13 PM   #27
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Well if it's not going to kill the snake by giving him large rats, then what is the problem? He is not obese or anything. He is healthy and active. I want him to reach maximum size which is also why I feed him large rats. A well fed snake that continues to grow at a rapid pace is the sign of a healthy snake. What do you mean a jumbo rat is too big for a 6 foot boa? I have a 6 foot red tail that proudly takes 2 jumbos during feeding time.
It doesn't need to kill him in one go to be bad for him. Eating a meal filled with preservatives and high sodium won't kill you that day, but the damage being done builds up over time. It's just a point of causing undue stress on the system.

But anyways, I think it's too early to say this meal is too large for him. We will need to see how big that lump is before going any further.
Old 06-18-15, 01:15 PM   #28
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
No, growing rapidly IS NOT A HEALTHY SNAKE. It is a snake that is being OVERFED, and power-feeding them LOWERS THEIR LIFE EXPECTANCY.

You may want a max-sized snake, but power-feeding does not give you a bigger snake, just a bigger snake SOONER. Imo you need to be more responsible and do what's right for the snake. Feed it properly so you will have a long-lived and healthy snake. Back off on the food.

How on earth...? 2 jumbos? For a 6' boa constrictor? You do realize that boa constrictors have very delicate digestive systems compared to any python right? They are VERY prone to fatty liver disease, and will die quickly. They really cannot handle fat very well. You shouldn't be feeding one jumbo let alone 2 to your boa...An adult boa constrictor should be eating something that leaves NO BULGE ONCE A MONTH.

My 6' boa couldn't even physically get a jumbo down, I've tried. Maybe a thicker boa of his size could, but mine personally could not get a jumbo down even if he wanted to (and believe me, he would).

You are going to kill all your snakes feeding them like this. Everyone in this thread is telling you to back off, you should be listening.
Old 06-18-15, 01:28 PM   #29
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
No, growing rapidly IS NOT A HEALTHY SNAKE. It is a snake that is being OVERFED, and power-feeding them LOWERS THEIR LIFE EXPECTANCY.

You may want a max-sized snake, but power-feeding does not give you a bigger snake, just a bigger snake SOONER. Imo you need to be more responsible and do what's right for the snake. Feed it properly so you will have a long-lived and healthy snake. Back off on the food.

How on earth...? 2 jumbos? For a 6' boa constrictor? You do realize that boa constrictors have very delicate digestive systems compared to any python right? They are VERY prone to fatty liver disease, and will die quickly. They really cannot handle fat very well. You shouldn't be feeding one jumbo let alone 2 to your boa...An adult boa constrictor should be eating something that leaves NO BULGE ONCE A MONTH.

My 6' boa couldn't even physically get a jumbo down, I've tried. Maybe a thicker boa of his size could, but mine personally could not get a jumbo down even if he wanted to (and believe me, he would).

You are going to kill all your snakes feeding them like this. Everyone in this thread is telling you to back off, you should be listening.
So a boa that eats just once a month is healthy? My boa eats 6 jumbos a month and she is healthy and thick as around as lightpost.
Old 06-18-15, 01:32 PM   #30
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
So a boa that eats just once a month is healthy? My boa eats 6 jumbos a month and she is healthy and thick as around as lightpost.
A lightpost????? Is that accurate, like literally as big around as a lightpost? It has a 2'-3' diameter? My 6' BCI is as big around as my arm, maybe 8" in diameter. Could you post pictures? If your boa is seriously that big around at that length it sounds obese. Is there any scale separation? Rings in the tail? Can you feel hard knots down it's sides, etc.?

And yes, he eats every 4-5 weeks and is hard as a rock muscular, very healthy.
Closed Thread