border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-14, 09:45 AM   #16
CrazyNewb

Re: Hey, New to snakes! need help

Thank you Obsidian you give me hope! And i dont plan to get a snake until mid February so i still have a lot of time, ive already done a few hours of research and plan to do more when the time is near... Thank you guys for your help and how aggressive you are to make people learn before they buy=D
Old 10-25-14, 11:54 AM   #17
Mikoh4792

I think a good place to start would be, how much space could you afford to give your snake? With that information it'd be easier to give suggestions.
Old 10-28-14, 07:49 PM   #18
Nick V

Get a woma! Two feet is s little small for a snake you want to handle, but womas are just about the most laid back snake you can get (except when feeding), and give you the best of both worlds, they are pythons with a sweet colubrid look to them. Totally worth the money, and you can get juveniles pretty cheap these days if you find the right seller. No offense to anyone here, but they are SO much more exciting than a ball python and are just as hardy. Very active snakes that tolerate handling pretty well and have a strong feeding response. They are so inquisitive, watching me as I go about my business in the room, until I unlock their cages and let them have the run of the floor or hold them. They may not be two feet, but are tolerant of much more handling than something that size, like a garter, and they are much nicer looking IMO. If you're worried about size you can get a male instead of a female because they are quite a bit smaller than females. My male is four foot and my female is just shy of the five foot mark but she's grown almost a foot since last year. On the other hand, hognoses are pretty awesome too, but do what you want! Just giving you my input since womas were my first "real" snake, all I had before was a ribbon and backyard browns and garters I kept as a kid. As far as handling goes, daily handling may be a little too much for any snake, but I hold these guys like every other day, except when in shed, breeding, and prior to or right after a feeding.
Closed Thread

Tags
first snake, help me