border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-14, 07:52 PM   #46
poomwah

Re: How big should a 17 month old yellow rat snake be?

Aaron,
I don't think that saying "welcome to the reptile industry" is a dangerous statement. I don't think it will hurt the industry. Look at it this way, anyone with a brain can see it was meant not as an insult to the business in general , just that if you participate in this hobby, you will eventually get burned. Anyone that doesn't have enough sense to see that's how its meant, well, is that really someone you are going to want to deal with as a customer, LOL.
I also believe that you never got burned. Due diligence and patience, being extremely careful who you buy from, etc, etc. These things would all greatly reduce , if not eliminate the risk of disappointment.
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Old 03-04-14, 08:20 PM   #47
poomwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
I really don't feel bad for the op. He never got his questions answered before purchasing and this is what can happen. Stop whining all over the forums or send the snake back.
only an idiot would send the snake back and be out 100 dollars with nothing to show for it. Right now I bought a snake that was dishonestly represented and I'm out 115 dollars but I still have the snake.
How on earth is sending the snake back for a 100 dollar loss (50 shipping here, 50 shipping back) a solution?

and I'm not whining on the forums, I'm informing people of what happened, so they know to be more careful.
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Old 03-04-14, 11:13 PM   #48
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomwah View Post
only an idiot would send the snake back and be out 100 dollars with nothing to show for it. Right now I bought a snake that was dishonestly represented and I'm out 115 dollars but I still have the snake.
How on earth is sending the snake back for a 100 dollar loss (50 shipping here, 50 shipping back) a solution?

and I'm not whining on the forums, I'm informing people of what happened, so they know to be more careful.
Only an idiot will jump on a snake without getting all of the pertinent information.

Secondly this isn't the boi and you already have a thread there so why are you still complaining about it here? I understand that you feel like you got a raw deal but that is because you sent money before you got all of your facts. If I want to buy a breedable female then I make sure I ask what the weight is, a rough length, age and when last she bred. If she doesn't meet my criteria or the plan I have then I move on. If I was lied to then I would act like you are. I personally think the seller has every right to start posting threads about you all over the Internet because of how immature and idiotic you are acting. You bought the snake you fell in love with without making sure your questions were answered.
Old 03-04-14, 11:32 PM   #49
poomwah

I told you why, because that way more people will be informed. I'm posting about here, because other than you, people on here care. On there theres' a lot of high school clique type attitude. This thread is more civilized than that.
I'm totally cool with the seller posting whatever he wants to about me. Any breeders that do not want to deal with me as a result of this says a lot about the type of breeder they are. I've already had breeders contact me about this, some posting the size of their animals, one even suspecting from the size and feeding issues that its probably wild caught.
You are right though, he didn't lie about the size, he left that out and instead of answering , gave us a deadline on the purchase. He didn't lie about the size but he used a picture that total misrepresented the animal. A dishonest practice at least, even if he didn't outwardly lie.
Old 03-05-14, 12:23 AM   #50
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
I told you why, because that way more people will be informed. I'may posting about here, because other than you, people on here care. On there theres' a lot of high school clique type attitude. This thread is more civilized than that.
I'm totally cool with the seller posting whatever he wants to about me. Any breeders that do not want to deal with me as a result of this says a lot about the type of breeder they are. I've already had breeders contact me about this, some posting the size of their animals, one even suspecting from the size and feeding issues that its probably wild caught.
You are right though, he didn't lie about the size, he left that out and instead of answering , gave us a deadline on the purchase. He didn't lie about the size but he used a picture that total misrepresented the animal. A dishonest practice at least, even if he didn't outwardly lie.
Again this is not the boi. You are also right about me not caring about your mistake nor do I care what other mysterious breeders say. You actually had a couple of weeks to get the deal done and apparently you guys kept in contact. I would also put a deadline on someonewho so blatantly looked like a tire kicker.

The other issue I have is you haven't bothered posting any proof of what was said. You expect us to take your word for it but I personally don't take anyone's word until I'veseen the measu re of the person speaking. Unfortunately you so far look like a person with buyers remorse that failed to make sure that he understood what he was purchasing.

Also the only reason you like this thread better than the boi one is because no one here is questioning you or asking that you actually clarify. Don't think I didn't notice your little personal attack about me not caring about the snake. I actually am worried about the snake but iI'm more worried about it being in your care.

These are my thoughts and opinions about you and have no bearing on my thoughtsand opi nions of the seller.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-05-14, 12:48 AM   #51
poomwah

Firstly Korbin,
I sincerely apologize,there was no personal attack against you. I merely stated that you didn't care and others did. I was referring to the situation, not the snake. I'm sorry that you thought I was attacking you and thinking I said you didn't care about the snake, I have no reason to think that you wouldn't care about the animal.
That being said, the reason I like it here is because there is no mob mentality, and people tend to read and respond to entire posts where over there, as is clear to anyone who is willing to see it. There is a plethora of twisting facts and picking out certain details to make a point and completely ignoring pertinent details.
I expect to be questioned, and I welcome and encourage it. What would you like to see proof of ?
Blatantly look like a tire kicker? I ask for information and instead of getting it, I am told that I have to purchase right then.
The truth of the matter is, I messed up, it is my fault that I failed to get all the important info before making the purchase. I ran out of time to wait for the information I requested, and I trusted the good reviews I had read. THAT is my fault. I made that decision, I admit that.
But you cannot deny that the dealer used a deceptive picture and that his colony of snakes are so much smaller than is normal in the hobby that he SHOULD have said something.
Old 03-05-14, 12:51 AM   #52
poomwah

Korbin: I actually am worried about the snake but iI'm more worried about it being in your care.

Could someone please tell me what on EARTH have I done that makes ANYONE concerned about a snake being in my care???
Regardless of whether someone likes me or not, or whether or not they agree about the deal or how I handled it. How does my care come into question?
Old 03-05-14, 02:06 AM   #53
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Korbin: I actually am worried about the snake but iI'm more worried about it being in your care.

Could someone please tell me what on EARTH have I done that makes ANYONE concerned about a snake being in my care???
Regardless of whether someone likes me or not, or whether or not they agree about the deal or how I handled it. How does my care come into question?
I actually came up with that impression without reading past page 11 on the boi because that was where it had stopped yesterday. You seem very inexperienced, you are giving off the impression that you are mauling the poor thing and your behaviour in the boi thread seems petty and immature. You have played every card in the refund demand arsenal.
Old 03-05-14, 02:14 AM   #54
poomwah

Please explain how I am mauling the poor thing? This I would love to hear. My snakes are healthy and thriving. Please enlighten me, or "school me" as the "experts" on BOI are saying and tell me what I'm doing wrong with my snakes, Instead of just insulting me, try to help and tell me what I should be doing differently in the care of my snakes.
Old 03-05-14, 05:26 AM   #55
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Again my thoughts.....
welcome to the reptile industry in my mind does paint a poor picture of our hobby. See this isn't an industry. ....these are animals and as much as people use terms like "produced" ,"collection" or "industry" people will attempt to disassociate the living creatures out of the moneyto be made at their expense. At one time dogs were an industry too. Puppy mills with no regulations showed how horrible people can be. I am hoping the industry goes back to being a hobby but don't see it.
I also doubt the breeder purposely misrepresented the snake you bought. You do sound inexperienced from your posts (not a bad thing) and I don't think you asked the right questions. The two guys your arguing with in this thread are just trying to "keep it real" here and not bash a breeder who may have not done anything wrong. I too would put a time limit on interactions with a customer. The snake is nice. Looks healthy and all seems good. Can we stop this now and get away from the industry and back to the hobby?
Old 03-05-14, 05:56 AM   #56
poomwah

excellent point, industry does have an unpleasant connotation. When you put it that way, I do much prefer the term hobby.
Old 03-05-14, 07:35 AM   #57
Sharlynn93

can I just say, poomwah, that I have 2 corns (similar to rats, same family...) and 1 of mine is 6 months older than the other...for the 1st year of their lives, they grew at VERY different rates...my 6 month old weighed more than the yearling and they were exactly the same length...they ate the same things, they never refused meals, etc...every snake grows differently...and most of their first year was all length growth, their weights barely budged, then all of a sudden (at the same time, despite the age difference) the length growth slowed to a crawl and they are packing on the weight...I think you just need patience...if you really despise the poor snake at this point (and it is impossible to tell what they will look like full grown at this point) then let someone else take her who will appreciate her beauty...she may be on the smaller side of the spectrum, but she is healthy and beautiful....
Old 03-05-14, 08:03 AM   #58
poomwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlynn93 View Post
can I just say, poomwah, that I have 2 corns (similar to rats, same family...) and 1 of mine is 6 months older than the other...for the 1st year of their lives, they grew at VERY different rates...my 6 month old weighed more than the yearling and they were exactly the same length...they ate the same things, they never refused meals, etc...every snake grows differently...and most of their first year was all length growth, their weights barely budged, then all of a sudden (at the same time, despite the age difference) the length growth slowed to a crawl and they are packing on the weight...I think you just need patience...if you really despise the poor snake at this point (and it is impossible to tell what they will look like full grown at this point) then let someone else take her who will appreciate her beauty...she may be on the smaller side of the spectrum, but she is healthy and beautiful....
I understand that they all grow at different rates. The snake is uncharacteristically small and so far won't eat. that can't be a good sign.
The whole point is being missed , I specifically bought an older snake so that I could have a larger snake so that I could handle it. I can't safely handle a snake this small. that's why I didn't buy a hatchling.
Old 03-05-14, 08:10 AM   #59
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Why can you not handle a snake that small?
Old 03-05-14, 09:05 AM   #60
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Poom- I can understand your disappointment in receiving a snake that was smaller than expected and if the breeder omitted important info. There's no turning back on that now so let's chalk it up as a lesson learned and be forward thinking. No need to debate the could haves, should haves, and what if's. The life and health of the snake should be a key focus right now. The most important thing at the present moment is to work on getting the snake to eat regularly. Once you get that in order you'll have more options. You can either keep the snake, sell it and recoup a portion of your investment, or make someone else's day by giving it to a good home. In a worst case scenario you're out of $200. Not chump change but not the end of the world . Best wishes comrade.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread