border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-13, 02:56 PM   #16
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Re: Ball Python Enclosure Help

OP- we are just trying to help... no need for the attitude. A very simple, and cheap solution is a piece of plexi glass cut, so that it fits on the lip of the top of the tank, the screen lid can sit like normal, and locks can still be used... very cheap, cant tell its there, hold in humidity, and again.. cheap...

personal opinions on the tank issue is so old, some like them, some dont... i dont like them, but in case senerio, i have to use them...

just take their advice, and those who are "mean" just dont read their post... BUT the ones who are being "mean" probably know some of the most about Ball Pythons on this site... so maybe you should lower the pride level, and take their advice. there is nothing wrong with accepting help. I'm not saying use tubs if you dont want to, just listen, and stop acting dis respectful...

if worst comes to worse, could you build your own tank/enclosure out of wood? they are cheap and pretty easy..

if you want pics of the plexi glass idea, let me know and ill post pics on how i did it...

i forget what size you said your tank was, but if its TOO BIG, maybe just trying to use a smaller one, or simply adding a humid hide?

there are options to making your glass tank work, just need to do some stuff to it
Old 01-29-13, 02:57 PM   #17
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
Yeah it's pretty tough to keep giving sound advice then having it thrown back in your face. The glass is fine , it's the venting at the top thats an issue.
Glass snake cage right here but not top vented.
It looks ghetto and will be replaced soon.
actually does not look that bad, took me a min. to see what you were talking about lol.
Old 01-29-13, 04:06 PM   #18
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucifer View Post
I personally haven't used the foil method, but many people like it. I saw a very nice tutorial on foiling a screen top in another snake forum, once. Some people condemn glass tanks and will even try to sway someone to switch to those leftover food tub things...XD You can try google and look up the foil tutorial I mentioned earlier. Good luck, it's not impossible!
there not really for food storage, they are for under bed storage, or something like that, alot of people use the to store shoes (6 qt tub) or use bigger tubs for bigger items, like sweaters, or old cloths to store... just wanted to clarify.
Old 01-29-13, 04:11 PM   #19
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlyKon View Post
actually does not look that bad, took me a min. to see what you were talking about lol.
I rotated the tank onto its side and added a door with vents.
I am not satisfied with how it looks or functions. I have spent weeks drawing up plans for my next vivs.
Here is a melmine home made viv that functions great but I don't like the look.
4x4x2
Old 01-29-13, 04:14 PM   #20
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
I rotated the tank onto its side and added a door with vents.
I am not satisfied with how it looks or functions. I have spent weeks drawing up plans for my next vivs.
Here is a melmine home made viv that functions great but I don't like the look.
4x4x2
ahh i see, still though, doesnt look bad. I enjoy building the cage more than anything i think! lol. make sure ot post pic up once you start!!

that one looks good as well, but if your not happy with the, then its determined to be fixed, lol. im the same process with my bearded dragons cage, mice cage, and 2 snake cages lol.
Old 01-29-13, 05:38 PM   #21
jarich

Well, we are getting somewhere! Instead of just slagging the tanks, its been brought up already that the screen top is the problem, not the glass tank. In this case, its not just the screen top, but the lamp in combination with it, that seems to be the problem.

Using lamps with enclosures that require humidity is always a problem when the light is outside the enclosure. Thats where all your humidity is going. They are essentially like small fans that suck the heat and humidity up and out of your tank. Just for fun, use that spray bottle you have and spray some right above the heat lamp. Youll notice how quickly the air is moving up from it. That is happening the entire time that light is on, drawing out your warm, humid air.

Cover your top with a piece(s) of wood and mount an RHP to the inside of the top. They cost about $50-60. There is no need for the UTH then, and no humidity is sucked out the top. As for the ventilation, they live most of their lives in burrows, so you need very little ventilation anyway. You can make the wood as fancy as you like (in case Mykee wants to compare with you )
Old 01-29-13, 06:27 PM   #22
omega

I have a screen top on mine and the heat is always at the right temp. I use an UTH and a light on top. The humidity is always at least 50%...I mist and also have a humidifier close to the tank. I will up the humidity during the shed
period. The tank is only 20 gallons...I'm going to be getting a larger one soon so I can put plants and such in it... hopefully I will still be able to regulate that one.
Old 01-29-13, 06:54 PM   #23
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I have a screen top on mine and the heat is always at the right temp. I use an UTH and a light on top. The humidity is always at least 50%...I mist and also have a humidifier close to the tank. I will up the humidity during the shed
period. The tank is only 20 gallons...I'm going to be getting a larger one soon so I can put plants and such in it... hopefully I will still be able to regulate that one.
Just out of curiosity what is the humidity like where you live?
The reason I ask is many coastal areas seldom fall below 60-65% so if thats the case where you live then you lose 10-15% which is fine if you keep 50% but if you live where relative humidty is 25% then ... well you get the picture.
Old 01-30-13, 08:23 AM   #24
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post
It's funny how fish cages for ball pythons require SO MUCH modification that they not only look ghetto, but never really serve the purpose of providing proper husbandry. All because the keeper wants the tank to look "pretty".
This is about the snakes wellbeing after all, right?
Guess what: a tank with foil or plexi hanging off the top of it looks low rent and is gross.
Ignorant, stubborn and arrogant newbs rub me the wrong way.
If you get the sliding top "terrariums" you can get glass fit to size that actually looks like and there's a lot of ways to make an aquarium look nice while achieving humidity and temps. But I do agree that they would never look as nice as something you could make.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, ball, enclosure, python