border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-12, 10:47 AM   #1
Arc210

Send a message via MSN to Arc210 Send a message via Skype™ to Arc210
!?! Eublepharis Macularius - Double clutch !?!

Help!

My leopard gecko Token laid two eggs on the 4/05/2012, which is what was to be expected..

But this morning 7/05/2012, I woke up and checked on the pets as usual only to find my Token had laid another two eggs!

As far as I am aware this is not normal as the Eublepharis Macularius only lay a clutch of two eggs per month, six to eight clutches a year, and it takes about 3-5 weeks for the eggs to develop inside the female.

Has anyone come across this before?
Old 05-07-12, 10:50 AM   #2
youngster
Snake Child

Re: !?! Eublepharis Macularius - Double clutch !?!

That's weird, she must have just kept them in and just layed the others?
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 05-08-12, 07:54 AM   #3
Arc210

No the vet said that isn't possible because it would mean she'd have become egg bound. and would have died within a few days.
Old 05-08-12, 09:35 PM   #4
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc210 View Post
No the vet said that isn't possible because it would mean she'd have become egg bound. and would have died within a few days.
Your vet has no clue. It can take weeks even months before egg binding can kill a reptile. It is quite possible and actuall probable that you female was holding those eggs for quite a while. What is impossible if for a female to devlope fully formed eggs in 3 days.

Another senario is that the female may have had 4 eggs developing at the same time instead of two. I have had a couple of females lay 3 eggs at a time pretty consistantly.
Old 05-29-12, 11:37 AM   #5
BobH

This is normal for lots of geckos and other lizards (some snakes too). Leopard gecko lay mutiple clutches over the season usually 2 eggs at time. Anoles do the same thing.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-29-12, 11:39 AM   #6
BobH

Sorry I should have read the dates more closely.....I thought they were over a month apart. Is there any chance there is another female in with her? I agree this is pretty weird.
Old 06-02-12, 03:19 PM   #7
Arc210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Sorry I should have read the dates more closely.....I thought they were over a month apart. Is there any chance there is another female in with her? I agree this is pretty weird.

No chance of another female in there with her, I only had the two leo's at that time, Token (my female) and Avocado (my male - the one Token mated with).

I was really worried at first, as she stopped eating for almost a week after the last clutch of eggs were laid and she spent the best part of two weeks looking for her eggs. She's fine now though.

Two of the eggs were infertile (Her first clutch) but the second clutch are fertile and should hatch sometime in the next two months.

Could her double clutch be a result of abnormal genetics perhaps?

Tags
breeding, double clutch, eublepharis macularius, leopard gecko, too many eggs