border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-17, 02:53 PM   #16
Ronin

Re: Advice needed on aspen alternatives

Great alternatives I can think of for your boa are Cypress bark, Aspen (which you can no longer use), coconut bark, newspaper, reptile carpet, and ReptiBark. I prefer Cypress for looks and keeping up humidity but if you have many snakes newspaper is cheap and easy to clean up. I wouldn't use sand, its not a sandy animal and eating it is still not good for any reptile.
Old 04-03-17, 09:55 PM   #17
Jim Smith

For higher humidity bedding I think something like Ecoearth is better. I use it in my two BRB enclosures and keep the humidity in the 90% range at all times with no problems.
Old 04-04-17, 03:00 AM   #18
bluewind

Just a quick general reply to everyone before bed.

Sand is a no go for me. I've read too many horror stories, doing a rinse and bake would be difficult for me (I have a bad left arm), a total cleaning would be crazy difficult, and it's just not for me.

Thanks for all the information and links! I'm fairly certain I'm going with the sani chips. It seems like every other no dust asthma safe option (like hemp and cardboard with good ratings) is sold in the UK! O_O

In case anyone else has another suggestion, I need something that won't cause asthma issues, is dust free, not too difficult to change out/clean cage, safe for her and me, will not stink up my house (the bedding not the poop in the bedding although that would be a bonus), works for her breed and humidity level needs (Albino Kenyan Sand Boa thus the aspen until now), and possible for her to burrow in with tunnel collapse being okay. Looks don't matter to me. I'm all about function although I want to find something that lasts at least a month from a cost perspective.
Closed Thread

Tags
asthma, bedding, sand boa