border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-16, 10:08 PM   #46
phassin

Re: Jag Carpet Project

Seriously it is an addiction! Im done checking kingsnake! I'm at full capacity currently so I can't get another one... I can't believe my friends and family haven't started to question my judgement... I'm pretty sure I will have my hands full.

Oh and his new name is Egbert!
Old 08-03-16, 10:13 PM   #47
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Egbert is a GREAT name.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-04-16, 10:29 AM   #48
phassin

Thanks Zig! Shredder was already taken so I had to think of something else.
Old 01-09-17, 12:13 PM   #49
phassin

It's been a while since I have updated my project. A lot has happened in the past month that I would like to document as it has been quite the learning experience. I started taking the snakes off of food beginning of December to prep them for the breeding season. Everything had been going well. MC has grown substantially. I started to drop night time temps to the 70s. All was well....... until I put the snakes together in the female cage. It became obvious very quickly that the female was combative. She was slithering over the top of the male (pushing his head down) and lifting the first third of her body really high up. I had never seen this before... Though I know from what people have said that two male carpets will "wrestle" when getting ready to breed. Uh oh.... Oddly enough the male in the cage kept trying to use his spurs to stimulate the "female". He's clearly trying to breed... I took out my probing kit, grabbed the "female" and checked..... 6 scales deep. Could go either way.

At this point I contacted several well known breeders to see if they knew what the hell was going on because I was all kinds of confused. I got tons of support and decided I would double check my probe depth and got 8-9 scales deep on my second and third attempt.... It's a male. I went ahead and checked my other snake as well because at this point who knows what is going on. He was at 8 scales. Looks like this breeding season is done for me already.

That's the bad news. I was pretty upset when I found all this out but I learned something new that I guess is inevitable. Be skeptical what a seller tells you about the gender of a snake, especially if it's not the breeder. The guy told me he probed the snake himself. I find that hard to believe. When I bought it, I didn't have a kit to check myself and just never got around to it. That won't happen again.

There is an upside to the story, though. I was able to sell the male within a week and get some of my money back (though not all). I started looking for a new female for next year and was fortunate enough to talk to a guy I have bought from in the past. He was looking to sell a real nice Mutton JCP (and she's had two successful clutches). As of right now I have a verbal confirmation on the sale but we're waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit before the snake is shipped. I'm really really excited to get her! The pics of her online are amazing! I can't believe he's selling her to be honest... Pics will probably follow in the next week or two.
Old 01-09-17, 06:42 PM   #50
jossh27

I not sure what kind of carpet ssnakess user MDT has but its frigging spectacular- I'd suggest seeking him out and asking what kind it is. Definitely one of the most brilliant yellows I've ever saw
Login to remove ads
Old 01-09-17, 08:29 PM   #51
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Glad it all worked out for you phassin. Looking forward to those pics too.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-10-17, 03:16 PM   #52
phassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossh27 View Post
I not sure what kind of carpet ssnakess user MDT has but its frigging spectacular- I'd suggest seeking him out and asking what kind it is. Definitely one of the most brilliant yellows I've ever saw
Yea MDT has some amazing snakes. His Gamma line female is a gem. I would love to have a snake from the guy who produced the Gamma line as he has certainly some of the prettiest carpets out there.
Old 01-13-17, 09:27 AM   #53
phassin

New girl in her cage! She looks amazing! Bigger than I expected too. I'll have to wait for her to calm down to get some better pics. I didn't want to mess with her too much.

Now I gotta name her...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4008.JPG (130.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (164.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4013.JPG (87.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-13-17, 09:33 AM   #54
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very nice jungle phassin. She is smokin! I LOVE carpets!
Old 01-16-17, 07:50 AM   #55
phassin

Thanks Zig! She finally stayed put for me to get a good pic of her stretched out. Right after I got it, she turned around and zipped right under a hide lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (9).JPG (140.1 KB, 35 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-17, 08:41 AM   #56
phassin

Got some new pics of Egbert after his latest shed. He is just getting brighter and brighter! I can't wait to see what he can do in some future breeding projects.
Attached Images
File Type: png image1.PNG (1.51 MB, 20 views)
File Type: png image2.PNG (1.62 MB, 19 views)
Old 02-14-17, 01:24 PM   #57
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

You've got some great jungles to work with phassin. I'm sure you'll produce some stunners with that pair!
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, carpet python, jaguar