border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-16, 11:02 AM   #1
Zulu3

Need a local Halifax, NS feeder supplier

I'm new to owning a ball python. He is a rescue and his tank came with me as if it had never been cleaned in its existence. I don't know much about maintaining his health (if he is even a he..?) and I've only fed him once. I was told he eats once a month, two mice but the more I've been trying to read it turns out he needs to eat a lot more. He seems to be a very good eater but I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I am having a really really hard time finding food for him.

So far I've cleaned out his cage, substrate, hides and branches, and waterdish. I've only been giving him bottled water (if that's what I'm suppose to be doing..) and his heat lamp before was just a light bulb. I've changed it now to be a nocturnal 75W bulb and so he is less in his hide now and seems to be always slightly in his new light. I hope thats a good sign. I have no idea what I need to do about humidity or temperature or feeding and cleaning. I don't know if his scales are nice or if he is acting like a normal snake. He is so sweet though and has an amazing temperament. Great cuddles and likes to watch tv with me. I don't know what I'm doing but I know I want to give him the best. He's really grown on me.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-27-16, 11:23 AM   #2
aaron_cg

Re: Need a local Halifax, NS feeder supplier

Few things.

Switch to a Under Tank Heater for BP's. This should be attached to a good thermostat like a Herpstat. Those are costly, but worth it.

Next step would be to change to something better than a glass aquarium. They can work for BPs, but require modification's to help hold humidity as well as heat. Personally since you only have one, just a normal plastic tub would work like this one

Substrate wither use the cocoa fiber from pet stores, or use 100% pure cypress mulch. I preferred the cypress, but needs to be 100% cypress. Not a blend.

As far as furnishings, atleast 2 hides, one above the heat source and one on the cool side. 1 water bowl and thats all you need. More isn't bad, but not needed.

Hot side should be no hotter than about 95F, no cooler than around 87F. I kept mine at 91F. Humidity 55% or so, which is easy to do in the plastic tubs.

BP's are almost always hiding. Its normal behavior. They are also nocturnal.

As far as the feeding goes, it would depend on the size. If you have a kitchen scale, get the weigh in grams and update us. As well as a picture would be helpful.

For feeding sources, the way I found mine was through Facebook groups in my area. May check that out. Google lead me to The Brass Gecko To find more just search "feeder rodents" and add in your city or others near you.
Old 10-27-16, 01:12 PM   #3
Zulu3

OKay thanks so much! I already have a glass terrarium though.. is there anything I should do to improve it? I'll take some pictures and update
Old 10-27-16, 01:34 PM   #4
aaron_cg

Local hardware stores (Home Depot) typically have foam sheets. Covering the bottom, and sides (from the outside) with 1/2 foam will help it feel more secure. You can use aquarium wraps to make it look more decorative, again put those on the outside of the glass.

Using aluminum tape, cover 70% of the screen on top so it will help keep in humidity, or even better, get thin sheet of acrylic on top.

I would still switch to a UTH though. Belly heat works better for BP's.

I would also stay away from the Aspen as substrate. Tends to mold easily.
Old 10-27-16, 01:39 PM   #5
aaron_cg

Here, this pic helps show what I am talking about.

Ignore the aspen, this was before I knew better.

Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, feeders, halifax, new owner, rescue