border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-16, 11:55 AM   #1
the-toddicus

Talking Hi There! :)

Hey there!

I'm Beth, first time snake owner but my dad had a corn when I was a kid. Adopted 2 corns (originally used as a breeding pair) about a month ago, gorgeous male normal morph called Zeus (Zee for short) and an awesome female anery called Aphrodite (or Frey) both 4 years old. They've warmed to me (as much as a snake can) quite quickly and now spend any time they're being handled trying to make a home out of my hair, or weirdly falling asleep to music from Steven Universe!
14409875_10154522863724731_4227302419862158235_o.jpg13938037_10154424485969731_5377465742186126773_o.jpg
They're both my babies and I've been in love since day 1!

Here for general help on care, there's always something you don't know! Plus Frey is an escape artist so new tips on getting her back when she's disappeared would be great for the next time! They do share a viv but they shared one with their previous owner and I've been told they seem fine with this and show no signs of stress so I'm hoping people will understand this and not condemn me as an awful owner
14086398_10154448787454731_4971205959250394717_o.jpg
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-16, 12:04 PM   #2
dave himself

Re: Hi There! :)

Hi and welcome and I'm I may be the first but not the last to say this but you really need to separate them
Old 09-18-16, 12:14 PM   #3
the-toddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
Hi and welcome and I'm I may be the first but not the last to say this but you really need to separate them
I know they should ideally be separated, it is only temporary until I get more space sorted, but this is why I did ask for people to look past this
Old 09-18-16, 12:22 PM   #4
the-toddicus

I have read why they should be kept separately, I failed to mention that this is a temporary situation as I have just moved into a shared house and am trying to get space sorted for a second viv, thank you for your concern though
Old 09-18-16, 12:25 PM   #5
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Welcome to ssnakess! Do you know how Frey is getting out? It's a better idea to prevent escape than to find ways to track an escaped snake!
Old 09-18-16, 12:36 PM   #6
the-toddicus

The first time was when I just got them and left the viv open, though the second was a mystery. Put a viv lock on it now though it can still open a crack so I've got to accept this fate until I get her into the new viv, leaving Zee in that one as the most it can open is still too small for him to escape. Just very worried about her getting into the house as I share with a couple who own Degus, plus I don't want her to freeze to death as my room is the warmest in the house, the rest being freezing!
Old 09-18-16, 12:39 PM   #7
the-toddicus

Just to let everyone know, when Frey does get out, I usually set up 3 bottle hides with sphagnum moss inside and small water bowls, ensuring the room stays warmer than the rest of the house, though she usually has to be lured out on feeding day
Old 09-18-16, 03:54 PM   #8
macandchz

welcome to the forum. do you have heavy duty locks on the viv?
Old 09-18-16, 04:36 PM   #9
the-toddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
welcome to the forum. do you have heavy duty locks on the viv?
I do have a lock I've put on the viv now, there's the ability to move it so a crack small enough for Madame Houdini over here to squeeze through though which is worrying me :/
Old 09-18-16, 04:41 PM   #10
the-toddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
Thank you for your concern, I know they should ideally be separated, especially with being a male and a female. What I forgot to mention was that I've just moved myself but am hoping to get an extra desk so I can get another viv. Should be separated by October, depending on how they do in their own space too Though I know Zee seems gets very on edge alone in the viv without Frey
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-16, 04:45 PM   #11
the-toddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
Welcome to ssnakess! Do you know how Frey is getting out? It's a better idea to prevent escape than to find ways to track an escaped snake!
The first time was my own fault but the second time was a mystery! No escape possibilities other than the door which was closed before I went to bed and when I woke up! Put the lock on after that but there is still a gap she can squeeze through when fully locked if she were to manage to get it open. I usually put bottle traps with sphagnum moss inside to make it like the moist hide that's in the vivarium, but the best trick I've found is to move a mouse around the walls on feeding day, which ends in me nearly getting bit but a found snake nevertheless!
Old 09-19-16, 01:02 AM   #12
dave himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-toddicus View Post
Thank you for your concern, I know they should ideally be separated, especially with being a male and a female. What I forgot to mention was that I've just moved myself but am hoping to get an extra desk so I can get another viv. Should be separated by October, depending on how they do in their own space too Though I know Zee seems gets very on edge alone in the viv without Frey
I used to house corns together myself when I first started keeping reptiles and they'll do fine in their own space it's much safer and healthier for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, escape, finding a corn, general, new owner