border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-17, 07:11 AM   #1
TheVoid

the new guy + help

yo
I'm pretty new to snakes, and I signed up here because I want to know as much as I can before owning one. Even though I'm excited to get a snake, I want to make sure it is as comfortable as possible in it's new home, and I want to do the best I can to maintain it well.

A few things about me: I'd rather not share my name or gender online, so if you want to address me, just call me Ig. I like science, space, snakes (obviously), art, and writing. I'm an ENTP-T, an aries, and pretty much a Chaotic Neutral.

I live on the east coast of Florida, and I was wondering, since we have a humid climate and some common domestic snakes (such as corns) are native or do well in the wild here, would it be alright to keep a Ball Python (in a tank, of course) outside?

I'm choosing to get a Ball Python because they're the most popular snake out there. I'm not a person to jump on the bandwagon for anything, but since they're the most popular, they have the most information about them online. I figured most of the members of this site are python people, and while online articles are good to read, sometimes experience is the best way to learn. I wouldn't want to do anything majorly wrong to hurt my python. I care about animals deeply.

The reason I want to keep it outside is because my parents aren't quite familiar with snakes yet. They consider them slimy and somewhat evil, and are afraid the snake will bite. The thing they're most afraid of is the snake escaping (mistakes DO happen, but I already learned my lesson with cages the hard way). We have two small dogs, and while the snake would most likely seek out a dark, warm place, I wouldn't want to risk it. Another thing is the smell. My whole family has a very keen sense of smell, and my parents already complain about the smell of the dogs. I have yet to convince them of what a snake is really like, but I'm on my way!! If I don't get a snake now, I most definitely want to get one when I'm older.

Sincerely,
Ig.
Login to remove ads

Tags
ball python, first snake, new member, outside tank