border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-02, 05:34 PM   #1
Cas

starting to breed mice, some co2 questions

Hey all, I'm just starting to breed mice for my snakes, and want to use CO2 to kill them (not interested in trying whacking, etc). I was wondering, should go with dry ice or a CO2 canister? I figure on only having about 4 colonies of 1.3 going, at least for awhile... is it worth getting a canister?

If not, could someone give me a basic description of how they use dry ice (how do you keep the mice away from it?)

Thanks
Dawn

"The only thing worse than a human who had no respect for other animals was a human who assumed all other animals thought and felt just like he did." --Julia Ecklar, "ReGenesis"
Login to remove ads
Old 10-18-02, 06:09 PM   #2
Syst3m

Send a message via ICQ to Syst3m
Hey cas, I am just beginning to breed mice and rats myself. I really would like to pick up a canister and a regulator for killing them no matter what. But I'm probably just going to build a 5 gallon tank with a egg crate bottom to or some hardware cloth in the bottom and use pvc tubs to raise it up so I can put water and dry ice in the bottom and rats and mice on the top. Check your local gas supply places on what it cost for a canister of Co2.
Around me I just pay for the gas and the deposit on the cylinder never actually paying for the cylinder. The only real expense would be a regulator wich I have not priced yet. The only reason I recommend a good regulator is that it will have a pressure gauge built onto it.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-02, 06:37 PM   #3
Linds
Former Moderator no longer active

I looked into the cannisters a while back and they are quite expensive initially, but I believe they would be worth it in the long run.
Old 10-20-02, 07:39 PM   #4
Cas

Thank you both! I'll look around and see what I can find for canisters and what they cost.

Syst3m, that's a good idea! I'll probably try soemthing similar if I end up using dry ice.

Dawn

"The only thing worse than a human who had no respect for other animals was a human who assumed all other animals thought and felt just like he did." --Julia Ecklar, "ReGenesis"
Old 10-21-02, 07:43 PM   #5
Syst3m

Send a message via ICQ to Syst3m
Just gotta cover the top Cas, I dont think I mentioned that
Welding supply and fire extinguisher supply places are good places to look for Co2, and you dont need a LARGE canister. The smallest one they have will most likely be just fine.

This guy has a good pic of his mouse gas chamber.
http://www.heretherebeserpents.com/feeders.html

And a little info on what you need.
Closed Thread