border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Natural Vivaria (Plant) Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-04, 01:08 AM   #1
danielle

Send a message via MSN to danielle
english ivy toxic ?

I have a 20 gallon natural terrarium set up, inside are several bromeliads and one english ivy. All i keep in there are green tree frogs, green anoles. I had someone tell me the other day that english ivy is going to kill my anoles. I thought the english ivy was toxic only if they ate it. I did not think that it would matter for anoles and green tree frogs as they don't eat it. Would the ivy secret any sort of liquid mucuos ?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 11:34 AM   #2
Double J

Whoever told you the english ivy would kill the anoles is grossly misinformed. I guarantee you that your frogs and anoles will be safe.
I good number of plants used in amphibian tanks are potentially toxic IF EATEN..... but that said... how many vegetarian frogs have you heard of? A good portion of plants found in poison dart frog tanks are toxic... and their are ZERO ill effects.

Sometimes, people can get ridiculous ideas over buzz words like "toxic" when there is really nothing to be worried about under correct circumstances.
Your anoles will be fine with regards to the plants, I guarantee it. Your source of information was grossly misinformed.
Enjoy your vivarium.

-Led Zeppelin
Closed Thread