border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-14, 02:49 PM   #1
Schriztopher

Smile RHP and setup advice please

So I'm new to the hobby and plan on building a viv this weekend to house a carpet python. I already ordered the 16" x 11" radiant heat pad from boaphile and am wondering what else I need. I have aspen substrate, a couple hides, and water bowl ready to go. Should I put a fluorescent light on the cool side? Do I go with a thermostat, rheostat, or dimmer for my RHP? Any suggestions on viv size? I'm thinking about 3' x 1.5' x 2' as it will fit the best where I am putting it. Thanks in advance, I want to get this nice and cozy before ordering my carpet.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-14, 06:22 PM   #2
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: RHP and setup advice please

Depends on the type of carpet but i wouldnt go any smaller than 4x2x2 foot for the viv.

You definitely need a thermostat for the rhp
Old 02-20-14, 06:34 PM   #3
Mikoh4792

Thermostat is always best. It controls the heat when you are not home, whereas the rheostat and dimmer would need to be manually controlled 24/7.

What kind of carpet are you getting? For small carpets like palmerston jungles and rockhampton coastals i could see a 3x2x2 working well. For most I'd agree with rob and go for at least 4x2 floor space. If you're getting into bredli's and bigger carpets like southern coastals i'd go for 5-6 ft x 2 ft floorspace.
Old 02-20-14, 06:42 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

Here is a room full of AP T-10's. These are 4 x 2 x 15". And that's what adult carpets look like in them. IMO 3 x 1.5 feet is a bit cramped for an adult carpet.

Even though these are 15" tall you can still make use of climbing space by installing perches.(If you want to sacrifice height for length)

Old 02-20-14, 07:55 PM   #5
Schriztopher

Ok thanks for the tips on the enclosure and I will definitely go with a thermostat. Any recommendations?

Ive been doing some more reading and this being my first snake I'm leaning a little more toward a corn snake to start out. Anyone feel the need to sway me toward one or the other? Are corn snakes more docile?

I'd like to get my gf a little more comfortable around them .My buddy had a juvenile jungle carpet that was a little feisty and she wouldnt go near it. However she would hold his red tail. Also, I wouldnt need the height or depth for a corn that I would having a carpet right?

Last edited by Schriztopher; 02-20-14 at 08:04 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-14, 08:14 PM   #6
Mikoh4792

I'd say it's important to give some height for most snakes, including kingsnakes and cornsnakes.

2 feet of height isn't really height. Most terrestrial snakes will still climb higher than that on logs, rocks, bushes, fences...etc in the wild.

Thermostat reccomendations:
- High end: herpstat, vivarium electronics, helix
- best bang for buck : ranco or hydrofarm

Get what you like. I think any snake can be a great addition as long as you like them and can care for them. Carpets are a bit more "on edge" than corns but most calm down with age.
Old 02-20-14, 08:16 PM   #7
Mikoh4792

The minimum I'd recommend a cornsnake is 3x2x2.
Old 02-20-14, 08:23 PM   #8
Schriztopher

Ok, sounds good. What about the Zoo Med 500r?
Old 02-20-14, 08:25 PM   #9
Mikoh4792

that's a decent thermostat. I used to use one some time ago and worked fine.
Old 02-20-14, 08:29 PM   #10
Schriztopher

Thanks a lot guys, I'll post pics of the viv when it's done.

One more thing - I read somewhere aspen may not be good since the snake can accidentally digest it during feeding?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-14, 08:47 PM   #11
Mikoh4792

That's true for any loose substrate but if your husbandry is correct the snake should be able to pass it no problem. My snakes are currently on newspaper but when I kept them on loose substrate they would get a little in there during each feeding and always passed it fine.

Or if you are going to worry, you could always dry the prey item so less sticks on it, or present the prey item over a sheet of paper/flat surface and have your snake eat ontop of that area.
Old 02-20-14, 09:07 PM   #12
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes Schriz. You can't go wrong with a king, milk, corn or bull snake. I'm a bit partial to colubrids though. I think they're great for beginners and experienced keepers. They come in beautiful morphs, the husbandry is pretty simple, they grow to a decent/manageable size, most are great eaters and they're fairly docile with just enough attitude. I also love carpets but haven't taken that plunge YET. I keep all my snakes on aspen and I feed all of them inside their enclosures. I've never had any issues with ingested substrate.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-21-14, 08:10 AM   #13
Schriztopher

Thanks, Ziggy and Mikoh. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal but a couple care sheets recommend glass vivs. I prefer the look of wood/plastic ones with glass in front. This is totally fine right?
Old 02-21-14, 10:07 AM   #14
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Wood or plastic vivs are better in my opinion.

In terms of the snake, you are going tombr looking after this animal for a minimum of 15-20 years and possibly upto 30years. Get something that you like or you will end up with regrets.
Old 02-22-14, 01:10 AM   #15
Schriztopher

I'm about halfway done with the 4x2x2. Decided to go ahead and build it big rather than having to build/purchase a small one and then another a couple years later or whatever. Going with one of the charcoal corn snakes most likely, will post pics of the enclosure at least this weekend. Still waiting on goodies to get here so I can get it right before ordering the lil guy.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread