border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-12, 12:10 PM   #1
Skumbo

Shipping Question!!

So I have a snake that I paid for a bit over a month ago now. The next few days are very warm (mid 40's at night!) and therefore.. I can get her finally!

But, there's a snag.
Turns out technically Fedex only ships business to business for live animals, and the guy I'm getting the snake from has been shipping for years now with fedex, and one of his customers called and "asked fedex to keep the snake warm for him" at a pick up location, He got red flagged for it (Youd think they'd notice the huge live reptile labels?!) and now he cant ship residential, because TECHNICALLY he wasnt supposed to be doing it.

I cant have it shipped to a business location because I work at a gym, and don't have a shipping box there, nor would they be happy with me sitting there waiting for a snake when I'm not working, lol!

Is this a rule that fedex just always ignores.. or are you guys using a different method than we don't know about? We're trying to figure out how to get the snake to me legally and safely!

thanks guys.. any help would be much appreciated!

if you need motivation.. look how cute she is!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Skumbo; 03-12-12 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-12, 12:13 PM   #2
theapexgerman
Banned

Re: Shipping Question!!

I honstly got no clue never dealt with shipping but doesn't like every online website that sells reptiles sale to private residents and use fed ex and you could always buy a business permit for like 40 bucks maybe cheaper lol and your home will be a business
Old 03-12-12, 12:17 PM   #3
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapexgerman View Post
I honstly got no clue never dealt with shipping but doesn't like every online website that sells reptiles sale to private residents and use fed ex and you could always buy a business permit for like 40 bucks maybe cheaper lol and your home will be a business
I live in an apartment I cant get a business permit for it, lol.
Old 03-12-12, 12:20 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapexgerman View Post
Why post if you've never shipped?! Brawn...

From my understanding, in the States, you need to be certified to ship via Fed Ex, in which case you can ship to residents. For your current situation, you can look into the ship your reptile company and see if they can help you.
Old 03-12-12, 12:24 PM   #5
Bradyloach
Uncle Brady

Just ask the guy to ship it via something else rather than FedEx?
Old 03-12-12, 12:24 PM   #6
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Why post if you've never shipped?! Brawn...

From my understanding, in the States, you need to be certified to ship via Fed Ex, in which case you can ship to residents. For your current situation, you can look into the ship your reptile company and see if they can help you.
he is a fedex certified reptile shipper, apparently they technically dont ship to residents even if you are certified. its just fedex policy.. apparently.

taken from fedex shipping policy terms:

FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).

The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.
Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyloach View Post
Just ask the guy to ship it via something else rather than FedEx?
that was more my question, what other services are there? USPS doesnt have it, and UPS prohibits all snakes in their live animal shipping policy.
Old 03-12-12, 12:26 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Check the policy yourself! Honestly, goto the fauna boards, there's TONS of information for you there to sift through and find the best answer.
Old 03-12-12, 12:32 PM   #8
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Ask him to ship via ShipYourReptiles.com , that's what I use to ship my snakes from my home to college, etc.

Last edited by alessia55; 03-12-12 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-12-12, 12:40 PM   #9
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
Ask him to ship via ShipYourReptiles.com , that's why I use to ship my snakes from my home to college, etc.
I'll look into that, this is what I was looking for.. thanks! xD
Old 03-12-12, 12:54 PM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skumbo View Post
I'll look into that, this is what I was looking for.. thanks! xD
I said that in my first post too! Do you read?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-12, 01:01 PM   #11
Skumbo

Quote:
Yeah, I do. Captain Grumpy.

I read it as go talk to the reptile company I was trying to get the shipment from, not as a website, since you didn't write it as such.

I searched "ship your reptile company" and came up with 5 domestic animal shipping sites and one that you had to be a member of their service and use their boxes to ship with them..

found the shipyourreptiles.com down the list eventually though.
Old 03-12-12, 01:17 PM   #12
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Who cares if he can count or not! Someone must have stolen your sugar again.........

Also try reptileexpress.
Old 03-12-12, 01:24 PM   #13
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Who cares if he can count or not! Someone must have stolen your sugar again.........

Also try reptileexpress.
alright i emailed both shipyourreptiles and reptileexpress to him and we'll see if it works out, its so warm right now I hope he can still ship it today.. (luckily its 12:20 in CA right now unlike 3:20 here) otherwise im looking at waiting 2-3 more weeks cause knowing here it'll get really cold again soon
Old 03-12-12, 02:31 PM   #14
marvelfreak
Captain America

He can ship UPS over night. I have gotten 6 of my snakes shipped this way. They just mark the box fragile handle with care. They made sure it was package good with heat packs. I never had a problem. You just have to make sure your there when they deliver or they will just live it sitting there.
Old 03-12-12, 04:28 PM   #15
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

For those that need to be spoonfed

Shipping - FaunaClassifieds

As I mentioned earlier, a plethora of information is there to help anyone with future shipping questions.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread