border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Enclosure / Reptile Room Showcase

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-13, 12:46 AM   #1
slowhite03

Lets try this again...here are my pets

Don't know what happened with that last post but I just thought I would show off what I'm working with. First two pictures is of my variable King snake, Craig, and his enclosure, He is on reptile carpet because he was having respiratory issues with aspen. The next two are of my Mexican Black king snake, Toby. The last two are of my Pacific tree frog, George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (22.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg craig.jpg (24.0 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (23.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Toby.jpg (24.0 KB, 251 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-13, 12:47 AM   #2
slowhite03

Re: Lets try this again...here are my pets

Here is George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (23.3 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg george.jpg (24.2 KB, 251 views)
Old 07-12-13, 12:54 AM   #3
sweatshirt

Awesome pets =)
Old 07-12-13, 12:55 AM   #4
Mikoh4792

Nice enclosures. How old is your MBK? Does he ever bite you when you handle him?
Old 07-12-13, 12:58 AM   #5
slowhite03

Toby is about a year and a half, he used to but with a lot of work he is a lot better.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-13, 01:06 AM   #6
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhite03 View Post
Toby is about a year and a half, he used to but with a lot of work he is a lot better.
Would he bite defensively or as a feeding response? Did you use the hook training method? I have a Cali king about two years old that tries to eat me whenever I'm around
Old 07-12-13, 01:10 AM   #7
slowhite03

defensive, when I first got him he did not want to be touched. I used the hook, I just grab him with the hook every time i take him out.
Old 07-12-13, 08:05 AM   #8
B_Aller

Why the 1970"s husbandry?
Open topped enclosure with carpet for substrate?
I thought we had moved forward from this type of husbandry, granted I haven't been on too many "Hobby" sites for a while but really? People here think these types of set ups for reptiles are acceptable?
This breaks my heart. There have been massive advances in reptile husbandry in the last 20-30 years, why are these highly successful methods rejected by the hobby, are people here really not exposed to the advances in husbandry available? Has this poster ever seen a meat dehydrator? The set ups here are exactly the same, humidity attaches to heat and it rises, robbing the cage inhabitants of their vital needs, leading to gout and early death.
Please upgrade the husbandry to at least the 1990's
Best.
Ben Aller
Old 07-12-13, 08:11 AM   #9
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Yea I'm really not a fan of repticarpet....
Old 07-12-13, 08:20 AM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Aller View Post
I thought we had moved forward from this type of husbandry, granted I haven't been on too many "Hobby" sites for a while but really? People here think these types of set ups for reptiles are acceptable?
This breaks my heart. There have been massive advances in reptile husbandry in the last 20-30 years, why are these highly successful methods rejected by the hobby, are people here really not exposed to the advances in husbandry available? Has this poster ever seen a meat dehydrator? The set ups here are exactly the same, humidity attaches to heat and it rises, robbing the cage inhabitants of their vital needs, leading to gout and early death.
Best.
Ben Aller
You said it better than I ever could.

I also find that repticarpet harbours a lot of bacteria and is relatively gross.

To be honest though many people just "do as they want" because their animal looks fine and someone will ALWAYS be just as uninformed and back up any keeper.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-13, 09:21 AM   #11
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Can someone point out the problems with the op's husbandry for me please? I thought everything was apropos. I actually liked the setup. I'm not a fan of repticarpet but I didn't think there was anything 'wrong' with this but correct me if I'm mistaken. My kings are set up quite similarly. They're both in 40 gal vivs, both on aspen, have multiple hides, a water dish, uth and a basking light. What's 'outdated' about that? I'm new to the hobby but I thought those were the things along with food, water, and kindness that my snakes needed to thrive. What upgrades/advances should I, and others, be aware of? Please show us what a 'proper' enclosure should look like. TIA
Old 07-12-13, 09:22 AM   #12
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Best.
Ben Aller
Thanks for the backhanded slap at the forum.

Just so you know he was advised against it. You could Even check his thread history and see where we said it was a bad idea.

@El-Ziggy

His set up will destroy humidity.

Last edited by KORBIN5895; 07-12-13 at 09:31 AM..
Old 07-12-13, 10:11 AM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

@El-Ziggy

His set up will destroy humidity.[/QUOTE]

@ Korbin

As I indicated, I have a similar set up and don't want any issues in the future. I didn't think humidity was a big concern for most kings. I've read that they typically need their humidity levels to stay between 40-60% which isn't hard to maintain, especially in a state like GA. I thought a moist hide during shedding was the most they should need. Is this incorrect? Thanks again.
Old 07-12-13, 10:23 AM   #14
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Best.
Ben Aller
Elitist^^^^

Maybe you could make a few suggestions....
Old 07-12-13, 10:28 AM   #15
nyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Elitist^^^^
Not pandering to the lowest common denominator isn't elitism; it's common sense.

Apparently advice has been given. Why throw good after bad?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread