border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-19, 10:28 AM   #1
princeBP

Question New BP owner

Hello, I bought a baby male python, about 2-3 months old. I've just familiarized it with its new enclosure, and it's been laying there unbothered for the past 15 hours.

I set up a temperature gradient, with the hot side being 87-92 degrees Fahrenheit, and the cool side being room temperature to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Which brings forth my first question,
(1):He has not moved from under his cave which is directly above the heat pad (from what i've seen. I've been sleeping for the past 10 hours.) How could I tell if he's okay with that cooler gradient? I'm worried it might be too cool for him.

I've seen mixed answers about the following question and I just want to hear from some more opinions, as well as the consequences of not following what's suggested.
(2): How long should i leave my BP unbothered in his tub for? I am so tempted to hold him since he's my first snake ever. What are the consequences to holding him a day or two into his new enclosure?

Now, i have prince in a plastic tub with a non see-through lid... I heard he needs a day/light cycle since BP's are nocturnal...
(3) I'm really flustered because i don't know how to allow light from the top with an opaque lid. I was wondering if someone could help me with some ideas? It'd be great

Below is a picture of him and his enclosure for reference and maybe it'll help deciding solutions for certain questions, i dunno haha. Thank you so much for reading this over and possibly even answering some of my questions! I'm very excited to become the father to a beautiful BP male, Prince!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-31-19, 11:50 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: New BP owner

Hello. Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping.

You want to get those temps dialed in. Since you've got some much variance in your temps I'm assuming your heating pad is NOT regulated by a thermostat???? That's an absolute MUST. Alll heating equipment should be regulated by a thermostat.

If you don't want your snake to be burned or cooked I suggest unplugging the heat mat until you get a thermostat.
Google search snake burns if you need further proof of how dangerous heat mats can be if unregulated.

You also want to get your cook side temps above 75. 75 is the absolute low they can safely be kept at, so you should be shooting for 78-80 on your cool side.

It's important to understand that your heat mat is designed solely to provide a hot spot and not to raise ambient temps. So unless your room temps remain a const 80-84 you'll need an additional heat source, also regulated by a thermostat.

As for handling, I know it's tempting, but you need to put the animals well being above your desire to handle the snake. You'll have 25+ years to handle your pet.

Right now you need to focus on getting your husbandry correct and making sure the snake is eating regularly. Every time you handle could be a setback. So it's not worth it.
Old 07-31-19, 01:16 PM   #3
jarkulary1274

HELLO! Welcome! Im new here too, and a couple months ago I was EXACTLY where you are.. I get it! We brought home our BP and all we wanted to do was hold it and cuddle it and touch it and boop its snoot! Its exciting and new, im with you. Now lets look at it from the BP eyes.. you were in a pet store or breeding facility most likely and now im in a new place, new enclosure, new lighting, new everything.. Im pretty nervous...i dont wanna be bothered, i wanna realx and take it all in.. This is what your BP is going through.. It is going to be stressed out for about a week as it gets used to its new enclosure.. .
Hang in there as Craigafrechette said, you have 25+ years to boop that snoot!

As for your gradient, yeah 75 is a touch on the low side. BP are used to constant heat and only really require a 5-10 degree drop between hot spot and cool side.. I recently went to a lecture in San Diego, where i live, about keeping BP's and snakes in general, and this panel consisted of Zoologists, Veterinarians with special reptile licesnsures, and hobbyists that have been doing this for over 40 years.. And the general rule of thumb is to try your best to mimic their natural habitat.

Sorry Just realized im rambling.. Your doing great! fix your temps leave him alone for 7 days then boop that snoot daily!

Jeff
Old 08-03-19, 02:52 AM   #4
princeBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkulary1274 View Post
HELLO! Welcome! Im new here too, and a couple months ago I was EXACTLY where you are.. I get it! We brought home our BP and all we wanted to do was hold it and cuddle it and touch it and boop its snoot! Its exciting and new, im with you. Now lets look at it from the BP eyes.. you were in a pet store or breeding facility most likely and now im in a new place, new enclosure, new lighting, new everything.. Im pretty nervous...i dont wanna be bothered, i wanna realx and take it all in.. This is what your BP is going through.. It is going to be stressed out for about a week as it gets used to its new enclosure.. .
Hang in there as Craigafrechette said, you have 25+ years to boop that snoot!

As for your gradient, yeah 75 is a touch on the low side. BP are used to constant heat and only really require a 5-10 degree drop between hot spot and cool side.. I recently went to a lecture in San Diego, where i live, about keeping BP's and snakes in general, and this panel consisted of Zoologists, Veterinarians with special reptile licesnsures, and hobbyists that have been doing this for over 40 years.. And the general rule of thumb is to try your best to mimic their natural habitat.

Sorry Just realized im rambling.. Your doing great! fix your temps leave him alone for 7 days then boop that snoot daily!

Jeff
thank you so much, my room is right next to the AC so it's the coldest room in the house. I think I'll have to invest in a small heating lamp and possibly another heating pad.
Old 08-03-19, 02:53 AM   #5
princeBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Hello. Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping.

You want to get those temps dialed in. Since you've got some much variance in your temps I'm assuming your heating pad is NOT regulated by a thermostat???? That's an absolute MUST. Alll heating equipment should be regulated by a thermostat.

If you don't want your snake to be burned or cooked I suggest unplugging the heat mat until you get a thermostat.
Google search snake burns if you need further proof of how dangerous heat mats can be if unregulated.

You also want to get your cook side temps above 75. 75 is the absolute low they can safely be kept at, so you should be shooting for 78-80 on your cool side.

It's important to understand that your heat mat is designed solely to provide a hot spot and not to raise ambient temps. So unless your room temps remain a const 80-84 you'll need an additional heat source, also regulated by a thermostat.

As for handling, I know it's tempting, but you need to put the animals well being above your desire to handle the snake. You'll have 25+ years to handle your pet.

Right now you need to focus on getting your husbandry correct and making sure the snake is eating regularly. Every time you handle could be a setback. So it's not worth it.
I definitely have a thermostat, the hot side is set at 89-90 degrees. I'm thinking i should buy a small heat lamp for the cool side to keep it at a steady 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-03-19, 09:10 AM   #6
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeBP View Post
I definitely have a thermostat, the hot side is set at 89-90 degrees. I'm thinking i should buy a small heat lamp for the cool side to keep it at a steady 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Unless you keep your room temps where the snake is at a consistent temp of 82-84 you'll need an additional heat source, also regulated by a thermostat.
Closed Thread