border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Reptile Clubs / Societies > General Information

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-05, 12:43 AM   #1
Rikki
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
Smile Interest in Forming Rescue Organization

Hello, my name is Rikki. I have been in the reptile hobby for many years and feel experienced in the hobby and would like to expanding the hobby into the rescue field. I am interested in rescueing exotic animals ranging from aquarium fish and small to medium size reptiles and more. Does anyone have any suggestions for starting out the service? I am going to piurchase web hosting and a domain name for the service and im willing to build on to my house this spring. Any suggestions?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-05, 01:13 AM   #2
CamHanna

Quote:
Rikki's Sig
Forgvie and Forget
LOL, remember when we used to tease you about your spelling?

Anyways, I think that the way to go if you wanted to rescue herps would be to volunteer with an established rescue agency. There's really no reason to start a new one if you are only going to compete with another acceptable rescue. If there isn't another rescue near you then I don't really know how to help.

Good Luck
Cam
Old 01-17-05, 01:19 AM   #3
Rikki
Banned

Thank you, I think.
Old 01-17-05, 01:43 AM   #4
CamHanna

No prob'em mate.
Old 01-30-05, 02:41 PM   #5
Rikki
Banned

I just purchased a domain name for the organization, does anyone happen to have any more tips, comments, or suggestions?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-05, 02:44 PM   #6
Paul_Begg

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Begg
Don't expect too many unwanted medium sized reptiles. You'll be looking at big constrictors, iguanas and red ear sliders.
Cheers
Paul
Old 01-30-05, 02:48 PM   #7
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
If you really want to do this, you'll need a source of funding, and space. The most commonly abandoned reptiles and those who are in dire need of homes are iguanas and large snakes which require lots of space, and in some cases someone to help you handle them.

Money is also a huge part of running a rescue operation. Many unwanted animals are often sick or injured and in need of vet care.

Good luck, and maybe someone who runs a rescue can let you in on some experiences they've had.
Old 01-30-05, 02:53 PM   #8
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I agree with what's been said so far. Any reptile rescue will be almost 100% Red Ear Sliders, Iguanas and Burmese Pythons. That's it. Those are the top three in need of homes constantly and always abandonded.

With those being what a rescue will recieve you'll need dozens of 6 by 6 by 6 enclosures with UV and heat lights for the iguanas alone. Also get ready to be friends with your local produce guy because you'll need literally POUNDS upon POUNDS of greens alone not to mention various veggies and fruits.

Then you'll need dozens of 50 gallon + tanks with UV lights and hot basking sites for the RES. Add on dozens of pounds of turtle pellets and other foods for them. Include dozens of high powered filters as well. Must haves!

This is just some of what you will need for a rescue. Money would be the top priority.

Marisa
Old 01-30-05, 02:59 PM   #9
Paul_Begg

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Begg
maybe try www.reptilerescue.on.ca see if they can help
Old 01-30-05, 03:01 PM   #10
peterm15

maybe instead of starting off large you should start off small.. either volenteer or simpily rescue a few yourself... it can get to be very expensive and if you read through some of the posts on here youll see that alot of ppl have sold quite a bit of there collections cause of one sick animal.. it can be very expensive..

but i seriously think that you should maybve donate your time and effort to an established herp rescue.. you could also maybe offer some space to one.. use your space to help house them.. and as for the domain maybe you should see if a herp rescue place would like you to set up a site for them.. thats would be a great contribution..

im not trying to takl you outta this im just trying to talk u into helping expand one that already exists.. it would be less money, less bills, more room, and alot more help..

good luck..

ps. good to see you back, im glad you chsnged your mind about the ppl of ssnakess.. so.. enjoy your time here and i hope to see you here often again..

Last edited by peterm15; 01-30-05 at 03:05 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-05, 03:11 PM   #11
Rikki
Banned

Thanks alot everyone, the advice is very helpful. Im planning to generate an income through the additional server space I have from my website ExoticRescues.com if you would, please offer any suggestions for the website so far. Im currently just testing around with the templates, thanks again... Any more advice is appreciated, I have a few hundred saved up so far in my savings... It will be a while before we officially open, were constructing a reptilian room in a spare room we have.
Old 01-30-05, 03:25 PM   #12
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
If all you have is one room you'll need to state on your website what you can take and what you cannot. That will give people an idea of what you can take and what you cannot.

Also remember "burn out" happens a LOT to rescues because they take in too many of these large hard to manage creatures. (res iguanas and burms) The bill to feed these animals will take hundreds of people buying server space off you alone.

It's really more work than opening a pet store, being a breeder or any other animal related thing out there. A rescue takes the worst of the worst animals, has to feed them and pay their vet bills. You might adopt out one in ten of the animals you get if you are lucky.

It's a really serious commitment and will take more hours than full time job. (40+ hours per week)

Marisa
Old 01-30-05, 03:27 PM   #13
Rikki
Banned

Im most certainly going to put in more than 40+ per week, we soon will have more space as well for the rescue.
Old 01-30-05, 03:28 PM   #14
Rikki
Banned

Also, do you have any suggetions for the website? Does it look ok?
Old 01-30-05, 03:29 PM   #15
marisa

It looks fine. But more like a place selling server space.

You'll need photos of your available reptile space, enclosures, a page detailing the vet you will be working with. Etc. All these things are a must before people will give anything to you even if it's an iguana.

That's a start.

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread