Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-09, 02:44 PM   #16
Chu'Wuti

Re: Venomoid Question

Quote:
Should have used tongs/hooks
ABSOLUTELY. Any use of hands near those snakes is just plain idiocy begging to get bitten.

I always hated the way Steve Irwin caught venomous snakes . . . bad role model as far as I was concerned!
Old 02-04-09, 03:06 AM   #17
joshw42

Send a message via Yahoo to joshw42

Start with a rear fanged species, such as an Asian Vine. The venom is not toxic to humans and the glands are small. I have a few and I think they are an awesome snake. I'm about to get some more from my wholeseller. They are cheap but hard to find, so I am buying them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asian vine.jpg (22.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-04-09, 09:24 AM   #18
Kmef07

Send a message via AIM to Kmef07

that is a b-e-a-uatiul snake. i've never seen one of those before.
These make me laugh......Kyle
Old 02-04-09, 10:20 AM   #19
Chu'Wuti

They ARE beautiful! I thought maybe I would like to have one myself, but then I found this info on wikipedia:

Quote:
They are difficult to care for, requiring a humid arboreal habitat and a diet of lizards as they rarely switch to rodents. They also stress easily, are prone to skin infections, and internal parasites.
from Ahaetulla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also found that they can be fed anoles & other small lizards, but it seems that it could get kind of expensive to feed them.

However, some people are apparently pretty successful at keeping them in captivity. Here's a link to one such person's website:

The Ahaetulla Vineyard

Good luck!
Old 02-04-09, 10:24 AM   #20
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

You can't start with a vine snake and hope it helps "train" you to keep venomous snakes when you free handle it like it's a ball python. That defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-04-09, 10:33 AM   #21
siz

Josh, what do you feed yours?

I agree with Aaron and Mark. If you know something can't hurt you, you won't respect it like you would a venomous snake, conciously or subconciously..it's just not the same thing..
(Although vine snakes are pretty cool )
Old 02-04-09, 10:38 AM   #22
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
If you know something can't hurt you, you won't respect it like you would a venomous snake, conciously or subconciously..it's just not the same thing..
Having an Asian vine snake could actually end up being more dangerous, as some people might be allergic to the mild venom such that they have a very strong reaction. And I agree with Aaron, Mark, & Jess--subconsciously, you're going to feel and think "safe" and you won't learn to be more careful--you'll actually learn to be less careful.

Last edited by Chu'Wuti; 02-04-09 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 02-04-09, 11:04 AM   #23
siz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
Having an Asian vine snake could actually end up being more dangerous, as some people might be allergic to the mild venom such that they have a very strong reaction.

...you're going to feel and think "safe" and you won't learn to be more careful--you'll actually learn to be less careful.
Hmm, good point. Those two things together can result in one nasty outcome for the handler.
Old 02-05-09, 08:56 AM   #24
joshw42

Send a message via Yahoo to joshw42

They eat lizards, birds,etc. Some eat mice, but if not, you can chain feed them a mouse behind a lizard, etc. and they will normally start taking them. They like to bite and can reach very far FAST, but the mouth is so odd it is hard for them to get the fangs into you. If you can take care of an arboreal anything, you can take care of one of these. They are not very hard to care for.
www.jbwexotics.com.
Old 02-07-09, 10:25 AM   #25
Chu'Wuti

Joshw42, here you are recommending Asian vine snakes to Graham85, but on your thread "Ride it, girl!" you say:

Quote:
I Got bitten 4x in the face and got put in the ICU. I was in there so long I am lucky we are are still alive.

An Asian Vine snake "machine gunned" my face. They are harmless to humans, unless you are allergic.
So you present an excellent example of why most people should NOT have hot herps, even the purportedly "mildly" hot herps.

As Siz said,
Quote:
If you know something can't hurt you, you won't respect it like you would a venomous snake, conciously or subconciously
It sounds to me like this is precisely what happened to you.

No one who doesn't have the training with hot herps should be handling them. Period.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-09, 01:15 PM   #26
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

I like this line taken fom his online website for ordering live animals 24/7
Quote:
It is VERY easy to order from us. If you decide you want a 9 ft king cobra at 3 am, call.
Lucky it wasn't a 9 ft Cobra that "machine gunned" his face eh folks Mark
edit - more types of Hots listed for sale than any other kind of snake but
Quote:
Notice: Josh Willmore was bitten in the face by one of his snakes and was in the ICU for nearly a week. Therefore, if you placed any orders before the 27th, please contact us.

Last edited by gonesnakee; 02-07-09 at 01:20 PM..
Old 02-07-09, 03:16 PM   #27
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
You HAVE to call to get an animal from me, because I try not to sell any species out of a persons experience range.
Does that include himself?

Quote:
I reserve the right to refuse sale to an individual at any time, if I see that they are unfit to care of the animal.
Hmmmm . . .

I'm a little confused by one statement:
Quote:
I hardly have any of the available animals listed on the pricelist so far
but I'm not sure I really want to know. Mojave rattlesnakes are on the list.

You probably don't want to know how I'm impressed.
Old 02-07-09, 03:58 PM   #28
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Pretty much every Venomous snake native to the US is listed on the list. Kind of sad really, Mark
Old 02-07-09, 04:51 PM   #29
Chu'Wuti

Yes, I noticed, and I agree it's pretty sad. Mojaves, though? For the general public? NO WAY! Their venom is considered to be the most toxic of any North American snake:

Quote:
Mohave toxin is one of the most lethal venom components found in US snakes.
from Snake Envenomation, Mohave Rattle: Overview - eMedicine Emergency Medicine

It's just plain stupid--criminally stupid--to have Mojaves for sale to the general public. Even with the experience I've had, I wouldn't deal with Mojaves. Zoos, OK.

And this guy claims to ensure that his buyer has adequate experience . . . how? I'm not even convinced that HIS experience is adequate. All he claims is:

Quote:
I am a double major in Zoology and Biology, and have been studying animals of all kinds since I could walk. Therefore I have vast knowledge in this area.
He hasn't finished his BS. He can't specialize in venomous snakes until he finishes his BS. So what "vast" knowledge is this? Does he have any specialized training at all for handling venomous snakes? Worked with a state wildlife conservation agency at least? At least I did that much.

I can't see adequate credentials for dealing with venomous snakes on his website.
Old 02-07-09, 11:00 PM   #30
bdreptiles

I agree with the majority here, that a venomoid is not the way to go. I also agree that an experienced mentor would be the best way to learn to handle hots.

I wouldn't however, dismiss the usefulness of practicing with a non-venomous snake. Those who posted before me are absolutely right about the hidden feeling of safety, but you can still practice safe techniques. An aggressive constrictor could be handled using the same techniques as a venomous snake. Practice with feeding, maintenance, and moving the snake around using the same type of tools you would with a venomous snake couldn't hurt. This practice could be done in preparation with and with out the mentor, to ensure your ready to begin learning to work with the venomous snakes.

Bottom line, working with constrictors is different than working with venomous snakes. There are however common lessons you can learn.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, venomoid, venomous