border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-20, 06:59 PM   #1
dangernoodles

Post How many mice?

Hello all!
In the near future I plan to purchase a captive-bred baby ball python.
I am going to buy hopper mice from PerfectPrey, but wondering how much I should buy.
I want the mice to last one year, but I understand this is unrealistic.

Buying a 50 pack of mice would be much cheaper, however I would have to throw it out if it got rotten, since it can last probably 6 months in the freezer.
But if my snake grows, I could feed it more than one mouse meet its nutritional needs, so I could use up the package.
Buying in larger quantities is often usually is for if you have more than one snake.

Buying a 25 pack of mice would be more expensive, since I would have to replace it, and buying in bulk is cheaper. However, I could make good use of the mice and use them all up.

Please let me know your insight!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-20, 09:33 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: How many mice?

First of all, hoppers are too small for a BP. They eat hoppers for their first 3-5 meals and quickly move up to small adult mice.

You CAN feed more than one prey item per feeding, but many snakes, especially BPs who can be finicky eaters anyway, will only take one prey item per feeding.

Ideally, you want to feed one appropriately sized prey item per feeding. Juvenile BPs grow pretty quickly, so if you're going to stock up you'll want to get various sizes, including rats to transition to.
Old 02-19-20, 09:36 AM   #3
dangernoodles

Thank you!
Old 02-19-20, 01:15 PM   #4
chairman

To supplement the good advice already shared, expect a ball python to eat one rat a week for three out of every four weeks. Six months x three rats per month gets you at about 20 rats for your order.

Mileage varies, though. Ball pythons typically don't eat while shedding, hence my suggestion that your snake is likely to skip a feeding per month. That said, I have two ball pythons that will eat during a shed cycle; those snakes need 24 rats instead of the 18. And while it is true that most ball pythons are content with one rat, even if it is undersized, I do have a ball python that is a garbage disposal and will happily take two or three undersized rats in a sitting.

The best way to save money on rats is to find snake keepers near you and go in on an order together. Social media has made that fairly easy to accomplish.
Old 02-19-20, 01:27 PM   #5
dangernoodles

Since they are very picky eaters, feeding a BP is not an exact science, I know that. You do make a good point that it would be a lot cheaper to buy local, but i am not sure that I can trust my local rodent breeder, however I will contact them since there is very little information on them. I do not want to buy from Pet Co, because they are not a very ethical company. I think I came to the conclusion I should buy a 20/25 pack and replace them when they run out, get rotten, freezer burn, etc.
Thank you for your advice.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-19-20, 02:44 PM   #6
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangernoodles View Post
Since they are very picky eaters, feeding a BP is not an exact science, I know that. You do make a good point that it would be a lot cheaper to buy local, but i am not sure that I can trust my local rodent breeder, however I will contact them since there is very little information on them. I do not want to buy from Pet Co, because they are not a very ethical company. I think I came to the conclusion I should buy a 20/25 pack and replace them when they run out, get rotten, freezer burn, etc.
Thank you for your advice.
A 20/25 pack of what size??
Old 02-19-20, 06:49 PM   #7
dangernoodles

Small adult mice. (12-18g )
Does that sound correct?
Old 02-19-20, 10:07 PM   #8
craigafrechette

Quote:
Small adult mice. (12-18g )
Does that sound correct?
Yup, sounds good!!

You may even want to grab some rats too, since from adult mice the next transition is typically to rats. It just may save you a bit on shipping is all.
Old 02-20-20, 10:20 AM   #9
dangernoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Yup, sounds good!!

You may even want to grab some rats too, since from adult mice the next transition is typically to rats. It just may save you a bit on shipping is all.
Okay, will do. Thank you for all your help.
Old 02-20-20, 10:45 AM   #10
craigafrechette

Quote:
Okay, will do. Thank you for all your help.
My pleasure. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have moving forward. We'll be happy to help.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-30-20, 08:12 AM   #11
royalfan94

As a note, if properly kept and not freezer burned, mice stay good for about ten months in a freezer. Past the one year mark the nutritional value seems to really take a turn, according to my supplier.
Old 03-30-20, 11:58 AM   #12
dangernoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfan94 View Post
As a note, if properly kept and not freezer burned, mice stay good for about ten months in a freezer. Past the one year mark the nutritional value seems to really take a turn, according to my supplier.
Good to know!
Closed Thread