border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-17, 04:16 PM   #1
Ronin

Snakes Baths

Hey guys! I see stuff on pythons and cornys but not boas. I guess its the exact same in practice and function but I had some Qs. I know not often really for excerice and shedding aid but how often would you/ do you? I hear 100F for temp what would you all recommend? when should my boas first bath be? How much should I fill Tub/Sink/ Bath tub? Anything else would be appreciated, You all have a good one!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-03-17, 04:23 PM   #2
FWK

Re: Snakes Baths

There is no reason to bathe a healthy snake. It would do nothing other than unnecessarily stress the animal. Give it a water bowl large enough for it to soak in and change the water regularly, if it wants to have a soak it will do so of its own accord.
Old 04-03-17, 04:24 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
There is no reason to bathe a healthy snake. It would do nothing other than unnecessarily stress the animal. Give it a water bowl large enough for it to soak in and change the water regularly, if it wants to have a soak it will do so of its own accord.
This, 100%.
Old 04-03-17, 04:26 PM   #4
BillyCostume

Does your snake have a stuck shed? If not there's no reason to bathe/soak it. If you do need to soak your snake 100F is too hot, aim for low 80's.
Old 04-04-17, 01:27 AM   #5
akane

Some snakes like to soak on their own if given enough water. They are not really bathed. I've even seen some say it can be detrimental to force soaking a stuck shed because it will reduce lubricants and processes that help the skin slide off. I could see the argument for increasing soaking in species that regularly like to soak and would live near water or if you know the humidity has been too low. Otherwise the method of having them crawl through a damp towel or using a humid hide (container of substrate or moss that can hold more moisture) seems better to more naturally soften it. It helps if they have something easy to start their shed on. I put a small snake in a temporary bin with a rounded water dish and little decor. He got a stuck shed for the first time and was wandering around behaving odd. I added a small rock and he shed completely that night before going back to his usual spot to hang out during the day.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread