border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-18, 02:56 PM   #1
phenyx

Question A/C is Out and Indoor Temps are Rising...

The A/C is out at my house and I live in Florida. I'm concerned about my noodles' ability to thermal regulate with the indoor temps so high - especially Jerkface who's so sensitive to habitat changes. Currently, indoor temperature is holding at 78-80 degrees (yay cement block walls!) which means the cool side of both my vivs is 78 degrees instead of their usual 74.

A/C repair guy can't get here until some time tomorrow. Grrrrrrr. Any suggestions on how to keep my babies cool?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-02-18, 07:15 PM   #2
phenyx

Re: A/C is Out and Indoor Temps are Rising...

A/C has mysteriously started working again so temps are coming down.
Old 09-02-18, 11:07 PM   #3
scales.jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
A/C has mysteriously started working again so temps are coming down.
Good to hear your A/C is back on. I had a similar question a few weeks ago when I was worried about leaving my python by himself while I was away for the week. The ambient temperature in my room has been over 90°F (33°C) for the past couple of months, barely dropping even at night and reaching a high of 95°F (35°C).

Fortunately I was able to move him to a slightly cooler room while I was away, but it was still around 82°C (28°C).

To be honest, I didn't notice any difference in my snake's behavior even at those temperatures. I spray with a cool mist morning and night and make sure he always has a fresh bowl of cool water which he occasionally bathes in, but no more often than usual.

I sleep in the same room as my snake and had A/C fitted after I got back from my trip. However, it's gradually starting to cool down in the evening now so I probably won't need to use it until next year.
Old 09-05-18, 02:30 AM   #4
pet_snake_78

Some species are more heat sensitive than others. If you keep highly sensitive species, probably worth getting a generator. I know there are natural gas ones that auto kick on.

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Old 09-05-18, 02:01 PM   #5
phenyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
If you keep highly sensitive species, probably worth getting a generator.
If my power had gone out, a generator would have helped. But. it wasn't my power that went out, it was my thermostat/control panel.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-18, 05:02 PM   #6
chairman

I have a portable radiator-style heater for if the heat goes out in my reptile room and a window AC unit just in case the central AC system goes out. The heater, capable of heating the room quite well, cost $50. The window unit cost about$100. All considering, the backup "system" isn't all that expensive.
Closed Thread