border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-16, 03:18 PM   #1
aaron_cg

Agkistrodon contortrix

Cool pic I got earlier today doing some maintenance.

Old 11-27-16, 04:56 PM   #2
MartinD

Re: Agkistrodon contortrix

Beautiful copperhead, stunning snake
Old 11-27-16, 05:53 PM   #3
aaron_cg

Thank you. A buddy bought a 1.1 pair from a breeder, and realized he doesn't like snakes with an attitude. Needless to say, I don't mind them.
Old 11-27-16, 06:11 PM   #4
MartinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_cg View Post
Thank you. A buddy bought a 1.1 pair from a breeder, and realized he doesn't like snakes with an attitude. Needless to say, I don't mind them.
With something like a copperhead with attitude, it certainly can test your reflexes...lol
Old 11-27-16, 06:19 PM   #5
SWDK

Beautiful copperhead!
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-16, 10:35 PM   #6
Jim Smith

While I would never personally keep hots, I find them to be some of the most beautiful snakes out there. I have captured and relocated a number of Copperheads from my yard and to suggest that they would test one's reflexes is a very big understatement. I actually have pretty good reflexes and I've seen Copperheads strike so quickly that most people would just be registering in their brain that the snake was going to strike and it would be all over. Beautiful snakes but keeping hots is just not worth the risk to me.
Old 11-28-16, 02:10 AM   #7
dave himself

Beautiful snake
Old 11-28-16, 03:11 AM   #8
MartinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
While I would never personally keep hots, I find them to be some of the most beautiful snakes out there. I have captured and relocated a number of Copperheads from my yard and to suggest that they would test one's reflexes is a very big understatement. I actually have pretty good reflexes and I've seen Copperheads strike so quickly that most people would just be registering in their brain that the snake was going to strike and it would be all over. Beautiful snakes but keeping hots is just not worth the risk to me.
I like watching viperkeeper on YouTube
Old 11-28-16, 07:19 AM   #9
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
Agreed. I got one a while back and decided to donate it to the nature center I used to work at. Too many risks for me to keep it at home. With all the copperheads I've dealt with while herping or while doing relocations, I've decided they are a bit squirmy for me. Honestly, I feel "safer" (I use that word cautiously) handling cottonmouths because they often just sit there and tense up. Although I must say, the one I donated was probably the most laid back individual I've ever seen.

Anyway, beautiful snake you got there. Always love to see copperheads.
Old 11-28-16, 05:00 PM   #10
aaron_cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Agreed. I got one a while back and decided to donate it to the nature center I used to work at. Too many risks for me to keep it at home. With all the copperheads I've dealt with while herping or while doing relocations, I've decided they are a bit squirmy for me. Honestly, I feel "safer" (I use that word cautiously) handling cottonmouths because they often just sit there and tense up. Although I must say, the one I donated was probably the most laid back individual I've ever seen.

Anyway, beautiful snake you got there. Always love to see copperheads.
Safety is definitely the number one concern. Currently I keep my enclosures in the bed room, and 2 have locks on them. The retic since she is too smart for her own good, and the copperhead for obvious reasons.

This first pic is the outside for the retics enclosure to show how it looks when locked

This second one shows how far the bar goes up.

These are enclosures from JPM Reptilla and the mount of strength it took to "bust" out with a lock on there is insane. I can't image any of my snakes being able to.

Right now the keys are in the locks since the little one (child) is only 2 months, but at some point I will be getting a "Key Locker" to lock up all the enclosure keys.
Old 11-28-16, 05:06 PM   #11
Bandit

Very nice! I can see myself getting a couple hots once I get a new place and some more money to put towards nicer, locking enclosures. Looks like you've got a good set up!
Old 12-07-16, 05:20 PM   #12
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

What are the plastic tabs on the top?
Old 12-07-16, 06:23 PM   #13
aaron_cg

In which picture? Can you circle what you are talking about?
Old 12-08-16, 02:02 AM   #14
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

If you look at your locks, go to the left in either pic. Appear to be those double winged thimble spinner things that I would assume would help keep the glass closed but it also appears the glass goes beyond the opening. Your picture is messing with my eyes
Old 12-08-16, 06:22 PM   #15
aaron_cg

That is the way the way these enclosures come. It is the original locking mechanism. But, they can loosen up and a snake in theory could cause them to come loose. Thats why I added the locks.

Right now they are only on the Retics, and the Copperhead. But, any Hot I get will have them.
Closed Thread