border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-15, 09:52 AM   #1
Sasha2

Who uses hides in their tub/rack systems?

I have a homemade rack with 4 tubs. I have hides in all of them but notice they stay in the heat where the hides are and rarely move from them.

I wonder if I removed the hides they would be more willing to regulate.But then I think they would also be more stressed.
The room is not cold either in fact Im worried because its been very hot in that room, 80 plus yet they still mostly stay in the hides(im very tempted to turn off the heat mats).
I use those plastic plant water catches as hides and cant really fit another on the cool side. I do have humid hides on the cooler end for the smaller bps though and they do use them but prefer the plastic things.

I assume they are smart enough to move away from the heat if they start to overheat, even if it means being on the exposed side of the tub????
Login to remove ads
Old 06-09-15, 11:28 PM   #2
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: Who uses hides in their tub/rack systems?

They probably move around you just don't notice. I've used hides and I've done without. It's really up to you
Old 06-10-15, 02:48 PM   #3
Albert Clark

I was without hides at first bc I heard that most people believe the whole tub in the rack is a hide. Then I noticed my females normal and albino both favored a hide in a hide. So I expanded and gave them all hides in the tub. Sometime I leave it out and other times I put it in. A little variety to their lives.
Old 06-12-15, 09:30 AM   #4
Obsidian_Dragon

I'm a firm believer in having a hide on each side. If HIDING is more important to them than TEMPERATURE, then no, they aren't "smart enough" to leave the hide to regulate. As far as they are concerned, even if it's too warm, the open could mean DEATH.
Old 06-12-15, 09:41 AM   #5
Sasha2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
I'm a firm believer in having a hide on each side. If HIDING is more important to them than TEMPERATURE, then no, they aren't "smart enough" to leave the hide to regulate. As far as they are concerned, even if it's too warm, the open could mean DEATH.
Thats kind of what I am worried about since the room is so warm.
Especially my very shy Kiddo.I did put a box on the cool end for her because she is in a larger tub.I think Im going to upgrade everyone to the larger tubs this next week.
Anyway thanks everyone, Ive been reading up and it seems a 50/50 split with the hides.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-12-15, 11:34 AM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I don't normally but there will be a snake that prefers having one and then I give that snake one.
Old 06-12-15, 11:54 AM   #7
SSSSnakes

I offer hides to all my snakes. If they never use them then I may remove them. I have found that snakes that only have one hide and prefer to hide, will not thermal regulate and prefer the safety of the hide. If these snakes are given a second hide on the cooler or warmer side of the enclosure that they utilize both hides.
Old 06-12-15, 02:10 PM   #8
yeloowtang

I also give hides to all of them, one on each side.. and they all use them no exceptions..
the safety it gives them, to me is imprtant.. and i'm sure they feel the same way..
Old 06-12-15, 09:05 PM   #9
prairiepanda

A hide on each end is a good idea, so they can choose between safe areas of different temperatures rather than a hot safe zone or a cold danger zone. Some snakes don't care for hides, though. My friend's Pueblan milk always ignores his hides and just curls up in a corner instead.

For my pines, I don't give them any hides at all, but their substrate is pretty deep to accommodate burrowing. They are in opaque bins with clear lids that sit side by side on my floor, so they're fairly exposed all the time, but the snakes don't mind. They are able to dive into the substrate and hide in the blink of an eye if they feel threatened, and they can and do hide under the substrate when they don't want to be exposed. They do spend most of the time out in the open, though, unless they're in shed.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 06-13-15, 06:13 AM   #10
SerpentSteve

My retics never used theirs. They'd flip over the half-logs and sit in them like that. I just gave up and left them like that. My ball python on the other hand was always in a hide.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread