Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-05, 09:22 PM   #16
CHRISANDBOIDS14

Send a message via MSN to CHRISANDBOIDS14
Quote:
Originally posted by Rikki
And you act as age has a single thing to do with it, you must be one of those people against younger people in the hobby

I know what I am doing man...
Yup......Thats right, im against myself in this hobby. I mean, come on im just a dumb 15 year old right?(well 24 days away).

I even stated my age in your post about "goodbye ssnakess people" or something like that.

The only reason I disputed/inquired about your comment was because you have been known to lie....I wont go any further.....and I see alot of young people lying about stuff. I understand when some people our age have been doing things or experiencing more(as you and I have) things than others. I know a kid that lies constantly to act cool, says he has a pilots license and all this other stuff. Anyways, just curious more than anything....for reasons stated above.

Quote:
I was asking him if he still wanted information about breeding bettas, sheesh!
You didnt specify, sorry I guess I made a judgement but chill.

Quote:
I have shipped bettas all across america.
Whatever you say.

Quote:
I cannot stand seeing people like you acting as if you know the situation, when you cannot even get the situation right.
Kind of hard when you didnt specify anything. Just "if you are still interested"

Quote:
I know what I am doing man...
Who said you didnt? All I did was ask a question.

Cheers,

C.

Last edited by CHRISANDBOIDS14; 02-19-05 at 09:27 PM..
Old 02-19-05, 09:24 PM   #17
lostwithin

Send a message via MSN to lostwithin
I have had one for a few years he is in a glass vase with rocks on the bottom and 5 live bamboo sticks sticking out. His water is kept around 78-80, (whatever the room temp in the herp room is, I let the water in the vase dry up until its about an inch deep then top it back up, I have NEVER treated the water I make sure its the same temp and just poor it in. Is fed commercial betta food on occasion (literally I bought one of those little containers when I got him and its still 2/3 full) . a couple times a year or so I change the water completely clean all the rocks, and cut the bottom inch or 2 off the bamboo to shorten it back up and get rid of the roots that had formed, then top it off with tap water match it to the same temp that the water was at in the cup with the fish in it and drop him back in. He is by far the healthiest betta I have ever seen. very colorful and builds bubble nests all the time. easiest pet I have ever kept.

Devon
Old 02-19-05, 10:14 PM   #18
Rikki
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
CHRISANDBOIDS14, I had a rocky past but we all have moved on since then, nothing happend major or anything. Though the way you were talking you act like your against me. Look on ATA and you will see all of my topics regarding my bettas and breeding. Lets move on, and keep this on topic. The guy asked for help lets give it to him, we can discuss this over PM if you feel the need. You act as if only experts keep bettas (not saying im not an expert ). Take care!

Last edited by Rikki; 02-19-05 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-19-05, 10:28 PM   #19
pablo111

Quote:
Originally posted by sssnakeyesss
The minimum requirments for an oscar itself..is 60 gallons..mines alone in his 75 gal, and lovin it. I know a tad about fish :P
I wouldnt mind knowing the tad you know about BRB's. Notice you have one in your pic.

Im in LOVE with these animals... I want one sooo bad...

What size tank would I need for an adult? Or should I use a rubbermaid? Can someone send me a schematic of such a setup?

heatpad and rubbermaid?
Old 02-20-05, 12:58 AM   #20
reptile boi

Send a message via MSN to reptile boi
Hey,

Spawning bettas isnt that hard, but you need to be very "delicate" or in other words be very careful with these guys. I have spawned mine by keeping the male and female in separate tanks with the water at about 85-88F. I kept them like this for 7 days and after that time is up i put the female in a little container which is then placed in the males tank. I leave them like this until the male has constructed a bubble nest. After the male has constructed his bubble nest, i add the female in with him. At this time the male started courting her and she started dropping her eggs immediately which the male syphoned up with his mouth and spat them in his bubbles. Once the female was out of eggs, i quickly took her out of the males tank and placed her bak into her original tank. The babies hatched about 2 days later and were hanging onto the bubble nest for a few days. Once they started to venture out on their own and started swimming and exploring the tank freely, i took out the male and place him in his own separate tank. The fry were left in the tank in which they hatched out in and were fed microworms and newly hatched brine shrimp. well, i think ive typed enough, if you want to know how i kept the fry please do not hesistate to email me for more details. I can also direct you to someone i know of that has been breeding bettas for 15-20 years if you have any specific questions.
5 seconds of your life
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-05, 02:38 AM   #21
Rikki
Banned

Its also important to feed the pair live or frozen foods for atleast two weeks before breeding. Nice post Reptile Boi!
Old 02-20-05, 01:19 PM   #22
pablo111

Quote:
Originally posted by lostwithin
I have had one for a few years he is in a glass vase with rocks on the bottom and 5 live bamboo sticks sticking out. His water is kept around 78-80, (whatever the room temp in the herp room is, I let the water in the vase dry up until its about an inch deep then top it back up, I have NEVER treated the water I make sure its the same temp and just poor it in. Is fed commercial betta food on occasion (literally I bought one of those little containers when I got him and its still 2/3 full) . a couple times a year or so I change the water completely clean all the rocks, and cut the bottom inch or 2 off the bamboo to shorten it back up and get rid of the roots that had formed, then top it off with tap water match it to the same temp that the water was at in the cup with the fish in it and drop him back in. He is by far the healthiest betta I have ever seen. very colorful and builds bubble nests all the time. easiest pet I have ever kept.

Devon

Never let the water go down and then fill it back up. youre letting your nitrates climb too high.

Take water out first. 50% changes are good. If you do this daily your betta will be in heaven.

USE WATE CONDITIONER.
Old 02-20-05, 01:27 PM   #23
Ducksarefun

yea, i definately do NOT agree with lostwithin's method of fish-keeping. The water should be changed ~40% every second day if there's no filter, and once a week if there is. Don't ever clean all the rocks. The bacteria that keep everything in balance (ie, ammonia, nitrates, etc) live there, and cleaning everything means the cycle has to start all over again, which is NOT good for your fish. Anyone keeping fish should read up on the nitrogen cycle, and do water tests regularly to ensure everything is in balance, change water regularly, and remove uneaten food.
Old 02-20-05, 02:03 PM   #24
lostwithin

I knew people would disagree with me If i were to have ever read someone else claiming the same thing I would be shocked it sounds like a horrible condition but this guy is thriving .

Just to clarify a few things, allot of the time I'll top up the water after it has gone down only a few inches. but it has lowered down to only an inch or so on more then one occasion.
I also use water from my "snake water" which is a couple 4 liter bottles of tap water which I keep in there with lids off (so chlorine can escape)

As for washing rocks, I simply rinse them off with tap water. Mainly to rinse the left over bamboo roots out. And again this is only done once or twice a year because i realize the importance of the bacteria. and when it is done i keep a cup or so of fish water to poor back into the vase so that there is still some "active bacteria" left to start over with.

I belive the big part of the setup working is the bamboo growing in there it has literally been years in this setup and the fish is very healthy and content he actually has a very large bubble nest built right now.

Devon
Old 02-20-05, 02:41 PM   #25
Ducksarefun

Yes, plants help, but I am still not convinced it's the best for him. Before I knew ANYTHING about fish, I got a goldfish. Sisaphus lived in a bowl for about 2years. Every week I cleaned EVERYTHING in the bowl, with SOAP, then rinsed it all out, filled the bowk back up with water right out of the tap, and that was that. At the time, I thought it was a great environment for him, afterall, he lived 2 years. But I know better now, and I would never recommend anyone do what I did, even if it worked (for awhile) for my one fish.

Betta owners should also be aware that bettas don't eat plants, and should not be kept in those silly kits you buy, with a plant covering the entire surface, that say you don't have to feed them or change the water. I worry your post will lead to people thinking that's a good way to keep a betta.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-05, 03:18 PM   #26
Rikki
Banned

I do not think water changes ever other day would be nice for the betta, it would be very stressful, which is why most suggest weekly water changes as needed.
Old 02-20-05, 03:22 PM   #27
lostwithin

. You are completely right it is very possible that my betta has only seemed healthy and happy for the last few years. and nobody should go by my information I am not claiming to be a professional in any way shape or form. I am a reptile guy this betta is my only fish, yes this setup seems to work very well for me but might not be the best way it seems to be working very well for me it was originally an experiment, my personal thought behind it was that at the rate bamboo grows it might be able to work as a natural filter of sorts. I chose to use a betta because from what I have read they do not require high amounts of oxygen in the water.

My post was simply meant as a point of view that works for me. not to encourage others to follow my lead. So anyone who read my information should keep that in mind .
Old 02-20-05, 11:55 PM   #28
Rikki
Banned

I was not saying you are not right, not at all. I know many people who follow the procedure you use. Though frequent water changes cause stress. No worries man
Old 02-21-05, 01:04 AM   #29
pablo111

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikki
I was not saying you are not right, not at all. I know many people who follow the procedure you use. Though frequent water changes cause stress. No worries man
Water changes, in and of themselves, don't really cause stress.

If you replace water with water that is identical to it, there is no noticeable impact on the fish.

If anything, the reduction of nitrates (if any were present) is like opening a window and giving the fish some fresh air to breathe (bad metaphor but you get it).

The "stress" in water changes comes in many forms- if you don't outgas the water (let the gases that were in the tap get out), you put excess nitrogen gas in your tank, this pisses fish off, and in huge doses can be fatal - but not to ALL fish. Also, if the Ph/Gh/Tds is different in the new water from the current water, this stresses the fish slightly as well.

Anyways, the bottom line that everyone should understand is that the simplest of fish is more difficult to take care of than the most difficult reptile.

A simple fresh water aquarium, properly maintained, represents a commitment in terms of time and effort slightly greater than, say, a panther chameleon.
Old 02-21-05, 02:33 AM   #30
concept3

Quote:
Anyways, the bottom line that everyone should understand is that the simplest of fish is more difficult to take care of than the most difficult reptile
^^^ A bluntly ignorant statement
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread