Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-14, 09:59 AM   #31
Mikoh4792

Re: Varanus bengalensis - Kills a human

Quote:
Originally Posted by formica View Post
Yes, and thats fine as long as they can find it afterwards, before another predator or scavenger comes along, and as long as the predator is not injured in the process. Prey pumped up on adrenaline can run a long way in 30 minutes to 5 hours, and can do allot of damage to any predator that doesnt avoid it or isnt able to physically restrain it

the issue is not ''does it work'', the issue is people saying that it is more advanced and more efficient, than for eg a hinge fanged pit viper, or a spitting cobra, both delivery systems are far more advanced, hinged fangs physiologically, and spitting with its significant brain power used to aim the jet - and compared to venoms which take a few minutes to act, 30 minutes is a long long time
Well I'm not going to argue that point, because to me a venom that kills in minutes is more efficient than venom that kills in hours. I was just agreeing with MDT's post when he said as long as it works, it is in it's own sense....efficient.
Old 01-11-14, 10:08 AM   #32
MDT

I'm fairly certain that the Jacobson's organs in the Komodo are efficient (as evidenced by their evolutionary success) and unless beat out by a larger lizard, they will "find" their prey.
Old 01-11-14, 11:15 AM   #33
formica

as Lankyrob said, Komodo dragons are the top predators on Komodo Island, if Komodo Island was populated with Crocodiles and big Cats, then it would be quite a differnt story - for sure a Komodo dragons venom is efficient, when compared to all the other comparable predators on the Island, of which, there are none.

without something to compare it to, stating that something is efficient doesnt mean anything, and the comparison here is with all reptiles, not just those on Komodo island - the Komodo dragons venom does the job in the enviroment it finds itself in, but thats not what the discussion was about.
Old 01-11-14, 11:41 AM   #34
murrindindi

The effectiveness of their venom was discussed at one point, after you clearly stated the Komodo dragon`s venom was NOT efficient or important to them.
You said that you accepted Bryan Grieg Fry had done the research but you disagreed with the results!

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/varan...bryan-fry.html
Old 01-11-14, 12:07 PM   #35
MDT

Kinda flip floppy, huh
Login to remove ads
Old 01-11-14, 12:12 PM   #36
formica

MDT we are discussing Science, not Politics and Opinions, when I am presented with evidence, I change my mind, anyone who refuses to accept evidence simply so that they do not 'flip flop', is a fool. infact Dr Fry's work was not reported accurately by some on that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
The effectiveness of their venom was discussed at one point, after you clearly stated the Komodo dragon`s venom was NOT efficient or important to them.
You said that you accepted Bryan Grieg Fry had done the research but you disagreed with the results!

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/varan...bryan-fry.html
Dr Frys findings where misunderstood and inaccurately posted onto that thread, and that is what I disagreed with - he clarified them for himself. as I posted above.
Old 01-11-14, 12:22 PM   #37
MDT

Dude...I'm just busting your (what do you guys call them?)....bollocks

On another note...did you hear that a Bengal monitor bit someone and they died from possible envenomation?

Old 01-11-14, 12:31 PM   #38
formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Dude...I'm just busting your (what do you guys call them?)....bollocks

On another note...did you hear that a Bengal monitor bit someone and they died from possible envenomation?

hard to tell on forums (we use the same word as u guys in this case lol)

yeah, didnt someone post a thread about it?
Old 01-11-14, 12:46 PM   #39
murrindindi

Quote:
MDT we are discussing Science, not Politics and Opinions, when I am presented with evidence, I change my mind, anyone who refuses to accept evidence simply so that they do not 'flip flop', is a fool. infact Dr Fry's work was not reported accurately by some on that thread.

Dr Frys findings where misunderstood and inaccurately posted onto that thread, and that is what I disagreed with - he clarified them for himself. as I posted above.
Sorry sport, you disagreed that the venom was effective and not of importance AFTER Bryan had posted in the thread, He mentioned that they normally prey on smaller animals and the effect was more rapid.
You didn`t even know they had venom, or who he was until I gave the details about his website.
Edit: I`ve heard someone died supposedly from the venom of a Bengal monitor, I`m not convinced that`s so after reading the details offered?
Luckily (to my mind, at least) I`ve never been bitten by that species (yet)....
Old 01-11-14, 01:27 PM   #40
formica

you are confusing 2 seperate things, I only talked about varanid venom in comparison to other reptiles.

Quote:
I'm not saying it isnt important - just disputing the claim that it is more effeciant than other reptiles, killing prey quickly is a vital aspect of the behaviour of a predator, for the reasons i said above - obviously the Komodo has found a way around this, because it happily sits and waits for its prey to die for days at a time
Quote:
its relative isnt it, just because it works best for the Komodo, doesnt make it more (edit: advanced) than all other reptiles, which is what was stated earlier in the thread

My only contribution to the thread after Dr Fry posted, was to thank him for clarifying his research findings
Login to remove ads
Old 01-11-14, 01:40 PM   #41
MDT

Old 01-11-14, 01:52 PM   #42
Mikoh4792

Closed Thread