border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-20, 01:19 PM   #1
Jimmy whispers

Ibd?

So i recently acquired a BP from my plant manager at work. Definitely a snake i wouldn't ever seek to own. But i was told it was not being properly taken care of. So i couldn't resist but to help.
Thing is i noticed right away it can't keep its head upright. It clearly has a neurological issue. I was thinking ibd, but this snake is an adult and from what i gather it would be dead by now if it was ibd
I've read this is also a trait found in BP's with the spider gene.
I have never owned or seen a snake with ibd. Should i be concerned?
He eats great and his environment is dialed in. I have him on a separate floor of my house, away from the others
Login to remove ads
Old 11-10-20, 10:02 PM   #2
chairman

Re: Ibd?

If you have a snake that has IBD then your entire collection is at risk of death. IBD is eventually fatal in boas, quickly fatal in pythons, and has even been found in some colubrids. You need to get that snake to a vet ASAP for diagnosis. In the mean time, don't even go near that python on days that you are around your other snakes. Don't wear the same clothes in both rooms, anything.

Hopefully what you actually have is a ball python with a genetic predisposition to neurological issues that, due to poor treatment, is strongly expressing those neurological symptoms. The following morphs are associated with neurological issues (I borrowed the list from PDA Pythons):

Spider – 100% chance of neurological issues, including a wobble, worsening with age
Spider x Sable – while all spider-crosses have neurological issues and a wobble, this particular morph results in some of the most severe cases
Super Sable – severe neurological issues, with extreme cases of wobbling and spiralling
Woma – wobble reported in many cases
Champagne – wobble has been reported in several cases; crossing them with other morphs tends to increase the chance and severity of neurological issues
Super Spotnose – severe neurological issues

Can you post a picture of the snake for morph identification?

Optionally, the snake could have suffered from an exposure to chemicals for have been overheated or supercooled. A vet is really necessary to tell.

I want to say that a member here, Snakesitter/Living Gems, had a serious run in with IBD once upon a time. If I remember correctly then he had to put down his entire collection, destroy all the cages, thermostats, etc and start from scratch some time later. Even had all the new animals tested for IBD before getting started breeding again. Perhaps they will chime in.
Old 11-11-20, 07:46 AM   #3
Jimmy whispers

Hi chairman. Thanks for your response!
I know it was prolly a bad idea taking in the snake knowing it could have ibd. However i am just now getting back into the hobby after a 7-8 yr break. I have just one other snake, a mainland retic. They are housed in separate rooms on separate floors of my house. I do not go near the BP other than to feed/clean cage. And immediately after i throw what clothes i was wearing immediately into washer.
My retic is never handled on these days and only handled in his room.
Im aware this disease is quickly fatal in pythons which leads me to believe perhaps its a morph related matter as the snake is a full grown adult. The person i recieved it from only had this one snake. With the snake i was given its enclosure and heating elements, which consisted of a heat pad without a thermostat �� and a dome lamp that was too..much for the size enclosure.
I will say his temperament was nothing less than nasty in the beginning. Obviously he suffered from subpar treatment. However, he no longer hisses at me or strikes at the glass when approached. He has a much calmer demeanor. I have had this snake about 3 months.
I will post a pic shortly for morphology confirmation
Thank you!
Old 11-11-20, 08:52 AM   #4
Jimmy whispers

Ok so idk how to post a pic. Im not good at this kinda stuff. I only recently got my first smart phone lol.
Help?
Old 11-11-20, 01:39 PM   #5
chairman

Below the Quick Reply box you will see two buttons. One says "Post Quick Reply" and the other says "Go Advanced." Click on the "Go Advanced" button.

On that screen you will get a lot more tool icons available at the top of the reply box. One looks like a paperclip. Clicking on it will allow you to attach an image file from your phone or PC to your post.

I think that's the easiest way to post a picture.

Barring that, you'd need to create an Imgur account (website or the phone app), upload the picture, and copy/paste the BBCode link into the text box to post a picture.

Clicking on the Preview Post button will give you a good idea of whether or not you are successful.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-11-20, 02:45 PM   #6
Jimmy whispers

20201111_143542.jpg i would say spider/pastel?
Old 11-11-20, 02:47 PM   #7
Jimmy whispers

I dont really follow ball python morphology. No searches pull up anything that looks exactly like this snake. Some very close. But not spot on
Old 11-11-20, 03:46 PM   #8
Jimmy whispers

He is also much darker in this pic. He's much lighter in person
Old 11-11-20, 08:06 PM   #9
chairman

Hopefully Aaron will chime in on the identification.

You are probably right on it being a bumblebee (pastel spider). They are quite common.

I would still take the snake to the vet and get it tested for IBD. Most vets should be familiar with the test by now and more labs can do it than back in the day.
Old 11-11-20, 08:40 PM   #10
Jimmy whispers

I just moved so i am now currently looking for a vet by me that deals with reptiles. Which sucks cause my previous vet was wonderful.
Thank you for all your help!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-21-20, 01:40 PM   #11
mlenny

Kinda strange, but I'm not sure if I'm finally approved by a moderator or not. So I'm just going to post this as a test to see if I can before I wrote or a long answer.
Closed Thread