border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-19, 07:49 AM   #1
IHaveasnake

Help plz

So I have a BP that is a year and 5 months old and he is only 266 grams and is 2-3 feet i have feed him adult mice for a long time and I tried small rats once he didn't eat them I have small rats again but im worry I been under feeding him
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-19, 04:01 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Help plz

You could try offering more than one mouse every few feedings until he switches to rats.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 04-26-19, 07:30 AM   #3
OlWolf

If he's preferring the scent of mice over rats, I'd try skinning a thawed frozen mouse the same size as the thawed frozen rat you're trying to feed, and slipping the mouse-skin over the rat like a glove... then offer it - a mouse-suited rat.
Can slit skin of mouse around the rear ankles, slide a cut from each ankle up the inside of the legs, around the the anus to the rump to exclude the tail - then start sliding your fingers under the skin and separate it from the carcass like pulling skin off a chicken-breast... then cut around the wrists. Can grab mouse from back legs and pull whole skin off like pulling off a sock. If you can't yank it off the head, then just cut the skin around the neck and remove the whole skin without the headskin, then turn the skin right-side out and pull it over the rat like a sweater.
You want to get him on rats because they're more nutritious than mice.
Old 04-26-19, 08:47 AM   #4
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlWolf View Post
If he's preferring the scent of mice over rats, I'd try skinning a thawed frozen mouse the same size as the thawed frozen rat you're trying to feed, and slipping the mouse-skin over the rat like a glove... then offer it - a mouse-suited rat.
Can slit skin of mouse around the rear ankles, slide a cut from each ankle up the inside of the legs, around the the anus to the rump to exclude the tail - then start sliding your fingers under the skin and separate it from the carcass like pulling skin off a chicken-breast... then cut around the wrists. Can grab mouse from back legs and pull whole skin off like pulling off a sock. If you can't yank it off the head, then just cut the skin around the neck and remove the whole skin without the headskin, then turn the skin right-side out and pull it over the rat like a sweater.
You want to get him on rats because they're more nutritious than mice.
Or you can defrost a mouse with the rat. That will get the scent of mouse on the rat.
Old 04-26-19, 11:53 AM   #5
Andy27012

I would scent a rat with a chick.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-03-19, 09:56 AM   #6
phenyx

When I transitioned Nagini from mice to rats, I started by skipping a scheduled meal so she'd be really hungry. Then, when her next scheduled meal came around, I thawed a mouse and a weaner rat together in the same mug of water. Worked like a charm and she's never gone back.

But you say your BP is only 266 grams? That's awfully small for small rats. I know the "small rats" from my supplier run 40-69 grams which is a huge meal for a snake that size. You should be aiming for prey items 10-15% of the snake's body weight which would be 26-39 grams, a rat pup or small weaner rat.
Old 10-29-19, 10:47 AM   #7
Steve87

You could give scenting the mouse with a rat.. Defrost both as you normally would then rub the mouse on the rat just before you feed it worked for me a few years back.
Old 10-29-19, 10:48 AM   #8
Steve87

You could give scenting the mouse with a rats go .. Defrost both as you normally would then rub the mouse on the rat just before you feed it worked for me a few years back.
Old 10-29-19, 10:51 AM   #9
Steve87

Sorry that all went wrong haha. I think you can see where I was going with it tho. Hope it helps
Closed Thread