sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-19, 04:44 PM   #1
Theflyingyogi

Talking Total newbie - lots of questions

Hello all!

I want to start out by saying I'm completely new to the hobby. Have no snake yet, (Have my eye ona gorgeous candino pewter which I will attach pcitures of) but have plenty of questions!

I have very minimal experience with reptiles and my things are birds. I had a bearded dragon and after my separation with my partner I no longer have the beardie. I currently have a leapard gecko, which she's my pet rock. I never see her, like at all - people think I exaggerate. I know she's alive because I clean the poop, the food is gone and she moves from one hide to the next. Other than that. I never see her - even at night.

So that about sums up my reptile experience, although I did enjoy me beardie his poop would kill my job. I'm sure it didn't help that it baked under a heat lamp while I'm at work. And let's face it, no one poops roses as much as we'd like to think we do 😅.

I have always liked snaked but never the idea of feeding them. Which is why I said I'd never bring one home. Until I found out about frozen, thawed method - which i can do. Before I make the same mistakes with the above reptiles I would really love some first hand experience. I have two amazing dogs, so I'm not looking for a cuddle pet. Of course I'll interact with the snake and take it out. But, I don't want a pet rock....

So what I'd like to know is..

What is the activity level of the snake? I understand that they are nocturnal, and I won't see much if any activity during the day. However, what are nights light? Do they come out and explore or do they pretty much stay in the hide as well?

What is th poop situation? How bad is the order from 1 to 10? And how often do they go (young and older snakes). It sounds like a silly question, but I don't want my apartment to be smelling bad.

About how much am I looking to spend on feeding the snake monthly? I'd be feeding frozen.

I have the basics covered, I have a 20 gallon long tank, I have the screen top with locks. I have the heat mat, and the hides. I missing the bowl, and substrate. Not a fan of the newspaper, as I like more natural enclosures. I live in miami but keep my apt at about 80 when im not home (air off) and about 76 when I am, at bed time i drop it to about 70. Will the snake be ok at night or might I run into issues? I know that they need between 50 to 60 percent humidity. I was thinking of seal off part of the mesh top with aquarium safe silicon to try and hold moisture in. Ideas on this?

I know this post is very long! But I rather ask away then bring home an animal and have it suffer.

Ps. For a male candino pewter is 650 shipped a good price? 😅🤷🏼*♂️

Thanks ya'll!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-25-19, 01:57 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: Total newbie - lots of questions

Welcome

A snakes activity level varies wildly by species and individuals. My BP is the most active snake I had at night. He will cruise his cage and be generally curious about what's around him. He is probably at the extreme end of activity for a BP but it does happen. Depending on how much you want to see your snake it would be good to research varies species and see whose care, cage size and overall tendencies fit what you're looking for.

They will poop more when young because you're feeding more often but maybe once a week and I've never smelled anything.

How much it costs depends largely on your source of feeders around you. Some places will be much cheaper than others but you'd still be talking a few dollars a month. I have several snakes and it's still more expensive to feed my cat than all of them combined.

Glass cages with mesh top can be hard to keep humidity up. Use a bedding like cocohusk chunks to help with humidity, cover the sides for the snake to feel less exposed. BP will climb albet they aren't great at it so provide branches.
Old 01-25-19, 03:21 PM   #3
Theflyingyogi

Thanks for all your input!

I have people saying they don't move much at night either and others saying they do., so even at night I may not see the little guy. I guess it comes down to the individual snakes. I just really don't want a pet rock lol. Especially a 600 rock!

What would be my best option to heat at night being my home goes to about 70 at night, a ceramic heat emitter?
Old 01-25-19, 03:31 PM   #4
trailblazer295

Another thing to consider is BPs change a lot colour wise with age. Generally not for the better. Unlike most snakes that colour up or get nicer, BPs often lose colour and fade out. I would look for accurate pictures of what a morph looks like as an adult because the super vibrant colors don't last very long compared to the life of the snake.

Your temperatures would be fine. Make sure you have a thermostat controlling the UTH and it will be ok. I'm more of a fan of overhead heating. I prefer display cages with radiant heat panels. A che would be better than a UTH but if your home is that warm it might not be necessary. Up here it would be very different.
Old 01-28-19, 09:55 AM   #5
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflyingyogi View Post
I just really don't want a pet rock lol.

I know you mentioned the name of some morph. I assume we're talking about a ball python? Ball pythons are great snakes, if that's what you like. But, if I didn't want a pet rock, a ball python would be one of the last species I considered. You might get an unusually mobile one, but in generally, they're not known as active snakes. But, yes, they'll move around some at night sometimes.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-19, 02:36 PM   #6
Theflyingyogi

Hey guys! So I appreciate everyone's input! What I meant by a pet rock is literally such, that the animal doesn't move; or that I don't see it move.

Like my leopard gecko for instance. I NEVER see her out. I know she's alive because she will move from one hide to the next and I have to replace food. But I never see her out and about.

So that was the pet rot comment - I would have been upset if I spent almost 700 on a snake that I never see out. I get home in the afternoon, and go to bed relatively late. So it would be nice to see it coming out and checking things out before bed.

My concern is the tempts in my apt. During the day I leave the air "on" at 80, but at night I drop the air down to 70 and I know they need ambient temps of 80 on the cool side. I'd have to get a ceramic heat emitter for the night tempts correct?
Old 02-01-19, 03:50 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflyingyogi View Post
Hey guys! So I appreciate everyone's input! What I meant by a pet rock is literally such, that the animal doesn't move; or that I don't see it move.

Like my leopard gecko for instance. I NEVER see her out. I know she's alive because she will move from one hide to the next and I have to replace food. But I never see her out and about.

So that was the pet rot comment - I would have been upset if I spent almost 700 on a snake that I never see out. I get home in the afternoon, and go to bed relatively late. So it would be nice to see it coming out and checking things out before bed.

My concern is the tempts in my apt. During the day I leave the air "on" at 80, but at night I drop the air down to 70 and I know they need ambient temps of 80 on the cool side. I'd have to get a ceramic heat emitter for the night tempts correct?
I find ball pythons to pretty active at night.

Also, I wouldn't buy any heat emitters yet. Test out your enclosure temperatures for a few days before putting a snake into it. This way you'll know if you need to add any additional heating elements.

Also, a candino would be a very pretty snake to own. I'd try to find one without pastel in it though for the richness of the darker tones to come through in the purple. Like a cinnamon or black pastel candino.
Closed Thread