View Single Post
Old 07-03-19, 11:36 AM   #8
Ambaryerno

Re: Native Alternatives to Guppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
I admire your interest and effort in establishing a native vivarium, but the reality is that there are no livebearers native to California (although mosquito fish and sailfin mollies have become established in native waters), and livebearers are the easiest to raise to feed garters and the best option for a self-sustaining population because they breed rapidly and the young can often live in the same tank with their parents given enough hiding places and plants.

If you want to keep native fish in the same tank with your garter, it would have to be an egglaying species, and your snake will eat them all before they can reproduce anyway. You would have to raise the fish in multiple separate tanks, because the fry of egglayers cannot live with their parents, and their sheer numbers often require separate tanks for good water quality. It is no easy task to care for the tiny fry of egglaying fish.

If you want a native snake vivarium and a native fish tank, they will have to be two separate enclosures.

Well, like I said in my OP, I do already have a plan in place for a separate tank to actually do the breeding in if necessary.