Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-12, 09:38 AM   #1
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Some news

TIMES-DISPATCH (Richmond, Virginia) 05 October 12 Chesterfield man died from complications of snakebite (Mark Bowes)
An amateur naturalist found dead in his Chesterfield County home Monday after being bitten by one of his venomous snakes died accidentally of complications from a snakebite, the state medical examiner's office has determined.
Authorities believe Jack Redmond, 70, of the 10800 block of Hinshaw Drive was bitten Monday afternoon by a Chinese palm viper, one of 24 venomous snakes in his collection. They found bite marks on one of his fingers.
Redmond was battling prostate cancer, had undergone chemotherapy and was taking medication, which friends said they believe may have contributed to his death.
His wife found him about 3 p.m. in the basement, where Redmond kept reptiles in professionally secured cages.
The medical examiner's office did not elaborate on the complications that caused Redmond's death.
A day after his death, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries removed the 24 snakes from his home and transferred them to an agency facility outside the area.
A spokesman said the well-cared-for reptiles will be placed in a zoological facility or private collection.
Authorities said Redmond violated a Chesterfield ordinance that prohibits the possession of venomous snakes and "wild and exotic animals."
J.D. Kleopfer, a herpetologist with the game department, and Dr. Ruddy Rose, director of the Virginia Poison Center at VCU Medical Center, said Redmond's health problems could have figured into making the snake bite lethal.
Kleopfer, who took possession of the snakes, said authorities are nearly positive that Redmond was bitten on the finger by one of his Chinese palm vipers. That snake's cage had been lowered to the floor from a rack holding all the cages, and it appeared Redmond had been feeding the snake or cleaning its cage, Kleopfer said.
Kleopfer said Chinese palm vipers are not particularly lethal compared with other venomous snakes; he rated its lethality as a five on a scale of 10.
"Most bites do not result in death, but death has been recorded with this particular snake," he said.
Other complications can arise.
"It's not simply a black-and-white issue, whether you're going to live or you're going to die if you're bit by the snake," Kleopfer said. "A person's age and their health — those are other factors that kind of come into play, along with the location of the bite."
The amount of venom injected into the body is also a factor, he said.
Rose said vipers discharge a hemotoxic venom that destroys red blood cells, causing internal bleeding and swelling.
Redmond probably could have survived had he received treatment soon after he was bitten, Rose said. It was unclear how much time elapsed from when Redmond was bitten to when he was discovered.
"We've treated (snakebites from) cobras and western diamondbacks," Rose said. "So we have some experience with non-native snakes, and all of those (people) have survived."
Rose said snakebite deaths are extremely rare in North America. He could recall only two deaths in the past 35 or 40 years in Virginia "that were really proven to be the result of a snakebite."
"It's unusual to die from a snakebite in this part of the world," he added. "There are deaths that occur in Asia and South America and Africa, but it's very unusual in North America, if you get medical treatment."
Chesterfield man died from complications of snakebite - Richmond Times-Dispatch: News: p, news, local, chesterfield_county, state_regional
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-12, 09:56 AM   #2
iiPink

Re: Some news

i live not to far from where this man was found dead, it was all over the news kinda scary if you ask me. but why would he put his hand in the cage with a venomous snake anyways wouldnt you remove the snake before cleaning the cage?(i dont know much about venomous snakes but it seems like that would be something most people would do.)and if he was cleaning it why would he sit it on the floor? (do any of your guys sit your cage on the floor when cleaning it?) and what comes to your mind if you know of anyone battling prostate cancer? (would u just want it to be over? or just keep doing what u been doing? just some mind woundin i guess...
Old 11-27-12, 09:59 AM   #3
cossiecraig

Condolances to the family , i may also add that it's god to hear that the snakes were well cared for and are bieng taken care off and not bieng euthanized ,i'm sure thats what the chap would've wanted .
Old 11-27-12, 10:00 AM   #4
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiPink View Post
i live not to far from where this man was found dead, it was all over the news kinda scary if you ask me. but why would he put his hand in the cage with a venomous snake anyways wouldnt you remove the snake before cleaning the cage?(i dont know much about venomous snakes but it seems like that would be something most people would do.)and if he was cleaning it why would he sit it on the floor? (do any of your guys sit your cage on the floor when cleaning it?) and what comes to your mind if you know of anyone battling prostate cancer? (would u just want it to be over? or just keep doing what u been doing? just some mind woundin i guess...
I think after owning hots for a while, some keepers get too comfortable. All it takes is letting your guard down for a second...
Old 11-27-12, 10:37 AM   #5
iiPink

but forreal do u take you venomous snake out of the cage before you clean there cage it (dont u have to put your hands in there) (do you really not care if it bits you?) and what makes people want venomous snakes. at any point are you not scared of your snake? i personly just dont understand it... can anyone who has one tell me what made u get a venomous snake?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-12, 10:53 AM   #6
Falconeer999

It doesn't say anywhere in there that he was cleaning the cage with the snake still in it. Though it sounds like no one was there when it happened, the most likely scenario from what's in the article (little detail as to what they found) was that he was putting the snake back in the cage when he got bit, or he was putting the food in the cage when he got bit.

He may not have even realized he got bit thinking there was a strike but it didn't get him. With the lower toxicity they mentioned, death would not have been instantaneous, but by the time he realized it, he couldn't get help.
Old 11-27-12, 11:24 AM   #7
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

iiPink, most of us keepers do in fact remove the snakes prior to cleaning cages. I place my hots in clear Sterilite containers with latches, so I can see the animal and know it is secure while I am cleaning the cage. I also wear medical-grade puncture/needle resistant gloves in addition to using hooks. I'd personally never put a venomous snake cage on the ground...too easy for the animal to get under something if it got away, and I like them being at about chest height or eye height, where it's easy to see them and work in the cages. Every keeper is different though, and I'm sure that it is easy to get complacent after time. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I keep reminding myself what all it could cost me if I took a bite.
Old 11-27-12, 01:22 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I personally think he wanted to die...
Old 11-27-12, 01:46 PM   #9
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Honestly Aaron, I have to agree with you. From the way the situation is described, it almost sounds like suicide via snake bite. There's no way that a bite from a Trimeresurus would have killed him before he could call for help. Viperine bites are just not that fast-acting, with the exception of cardiac complications from rattlesnakes or the potent cytotoxins of Gaboon vipers. It would have been at least hours for the bite to incapacitate him. I can't imagine that he would have gone down too quickly to call for help, unless he had a severe allergic reaction to it.
Old 11-27-12, 01:49 PM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

That's possible but he also was very sick and maybe just didn't want to go on. I know it's a morbid topic but it's a really odd looking situation.

I do like the unbiased view the writer took though. Said everything was well cared for.

I posted this to show people that reality hits and you need to ALWAYS be on top of your game.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-12, 03:57 PM   #11
iiPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I personally think he wanted to die...
i think the same thing as well aaron. anyone who has ever seen anyone battling prostate cancer,knows that it one something really pain full,i have seen it first hand and its awful(i am a care-giver) working with older people and taking care of them on there last days and sometimes they just give up fighting,they will do almost anything to get out

i was not saying that the snake was in there but if he got bite and the cage was on the floor they said nothing about a bag or a hook being around him at any point... in the news or in the statement...
Old 11-28-12, 05:04 PM   #12
beardeds4life

I agree that it does sound like suicide via snake bite.
Old 01-12-13, 07:25 AM   #13
ada-man-teus

iipink...I ask why do people keep pit bulls or rat poison under the sink? Venomous snake bites are mostly non lethal. Most venomous bites in the US wouldnt be statistics is left alone. Not sure the reasons for the death here, but it is a shame. Id rather die from a snake bite than cancer, but things like this shine a bad light on all of the keepers that do it the right way.
Closed Thread