border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-17, 11:52 AM   #1
SWDK

Anyone use this stuff or similar for humid bedding?

Wondering if anyone uses this type of substrate for bedding in a humid hide or an enclosure that needs higher humidity? It's really cheap and is all natural with no additives. I'm thinking about using it as bedding for my humid hides.

2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Old 04-17-17, 12:07 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: Anyone use this stuff or similar for humid bedding?

I use spagnum moss for a humid hide but only 1 hide. Don't know the difference between the two. Be interesting the results in a cage.
Old 04-17-17, 12:59 PM   #3
dannybgoode

For reasons I cannot remember peat is not recommended for reptiles. Also peat stripping is not environmentally sound.

I'd just use topsoil - the stuff with no added anything - mixed with coco coir and maybe orchid bark. Sphagnum moss is an excellent choice for a humid hide or to add to the mix for species that require higher humidity.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-17-17, 02:31 PM   #4
TRD

Peat is taken from area's that rely on the stuff to be there... basically buying peat isn't environmentally friendly... just like using cypress mulch is destroying very precious eco systems. Also peat when dried up becomes very dusty.

Coco is actually better in about every way, and it's a waste product. There's no reason not to use it really.

I mix my ground with compost without anything in it, coco, coco husk, some sand, fir bark, crumbled leaves (for lack of not knowing the English names; Quercus, Acer, Platanus leaves). Can plant about anything in it really (from succulents to tropical plants), and keep anything on it.
Old 04-17-17, 10:26 PM   #5
pet_snake_78

In my environment, coco fiber molds more readily than cypress, so honestly I do prefer the cypress mulch.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-17-17, 10:55 PM   #6
trailblazer295

I have also had cocohusk mold in warmer months as well but never with cypress, I understand the comments of environment. I've looked at fine ground but heard mixed reviews. Some so no plug pits on boas and BPs others say yes. I really don't know anymore. I know the chunks and cypress mix by hand seem to fit my needs thus far. Haven't found a suitable replacement yet.
Old 04-18-17, 01:54 PM   #7
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Peat is taken from area's that rely on the stuff to be there... basically buying peat isn't environmentally friendly... just like using cypress mulch is destroying very precious eco systems. Also peat when dried up becomes very dusty.

Coco is actually better in about every way, and it's a waste product. There's no reason not to use it really.

I mix my ground with compost without anything in it, coco, coco husk, some sand, fir bark, crumbled leaves (for lack of not knowing the English names; Quercus, Acer, Platanus leaves). Can plant about anything in it really (from succulents to tropical plants), and keep anything on it.

I don't know about peat but cypress is illegal too cut down now. I thought you had to dig it out of the buoy?
Old 04-18-17, 04:33 PM   #8
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

I have used peat moss in the past for lay boxes and found it to hold humidity very well, and it does not get as dusty as coco fiber which I have found awful when it dries out. The sole reason to not use it for reptiles is how hard the process of harvesting it is on the environment-there's no other reason not to use it.
Old 04-18-17, 09:54 PM   #9
SWDK

Thanks for the feedback. Never really thought about the environmental impact. It's the same reason I don't use cypress.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 04-19-17, 07:02 PM   #10
LISA127

Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127

I use this for box turtles. Works well for me.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-20-17, 12:03 AM   #11
dannybgoode

Two - asked a few people and they echo Andy-puely an environmental thing.

Don't buy the blocking puts on pythons thing-they don't live on solid substrates, wood chippings, Astroturf etc in the wild and it doesn't cause them a problem.

However peat takes tens of thousands of years to form and is ecologically important so unless I had a very specific need (as others have said it holds humidity incredibly well) I would not use it.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-20-17, 09:14 AM   #12
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post

Don't buy the blocking puts on pythons thing-they don't live on solid substrates, wood chippings, Astroturf etc in the wild and it doesn't cause them a problem.
Completely agree here.
Closed Thread