border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-17, 06:07 PM   #1
Ronin

Building Trust

Hey guys! Is pre-shed/ early shed a good time to handle for trust building? I get the whole unnecessary stress thing, but there's got to be something to it. Some youtubers and local herpers have said it helps them trust you more and learn your scent.Their snakes don't care if they move fast, touch their head or tail, and they just grab them and the snake doesn't try to evade. Thoughts? Any trust building technics of your own?

PS Nigils pics are on my "Hey!" thread in a Instagram link. couldn't figure out how to post them.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-07-17, 06:17 PM   #2
Tiny Boidae

Re: Building Trust

I typically leave my animals alone when they go into shed. The biggest reason is that they can't be comfortable during it and I have no desire to be adding to their stress. That being said, most of my animals are puppy dog tame and unless I'm feeding them, I'm confident I won't be bitten. I'm certain that any relationship you're trying to build with the animal would only be damaged if you're trying to handle it when it's in shed. Just give it time, work at the animal's pace, and the book practically writes itself at that point.
Old 04-07-17, 06:31 PM   #3
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
I typically leave my animals alone when they go into shed. The biggest reason is that they can't be comfortable during it and I have no desire to be adding to their stress. That being said, most of my animals are puppy dog tame and unless I'm feeding them, I'm confident I won't be bitten. I'm certain that any relationship you're trying to build with the animal would only be damaged if you're trying to handle it when it's in shed. Just give it time, work at the animal's pace, and the book practically writes itself at that point.

That's what Ive always done, but I heard that and wanted to know more ask some fellow snake owners. I'm in no rush. Excuse my naivety but what is a puppy dog tame?
Old 04-07-17, 06:37 PM   #4
Tiny Boidae

To me, it means that I can freely handle the snake without prompting a negative reaction. They either won't pee on me or bite and have a generally relaxed posture. That's about as good as you can get with a snake.
Old 04-08-17, 07:18 AM   #5
TRD

Much depends also on the personality of the snake...I have snakes that I never have to pick up because they come out themselves when I open the door and onto my hands, others flee in fear because I'm big and surely I'm going to eat them, and some stand their ground ready to fend off any attempt to capture them. All are in the same species...

Literally the only thing you need to take care off is that you don't positive enforce 'bad behavior'. With this I mean that if your young snake tends to bite it's way out of your hand or musk on you, you shouldn't care about it and just confidently continue to hold it. If you don't because it's scary or stinks and put the snake back into his home, then you only teach it that when it's aggressive or musks, it will be placed back or not picked up. Snakes will always and ever prefer their home over your hands. You only have to teach them nothing bad will happen when you hold them. Over time the 'bad behavers' will learn and accept you, mostly, but not always. Other snakes will just be calm from the get go. Like I said, really depends.

For the record, even my calmest and most gentle snake who comes out every time I open the enclosure by himself and never hurts a fly (since it's not a mouse )... when in shed and curled up in hiding, and if I touch him, he will forcefully push me away with the side of his body like saying "not now!". Then I just let him be.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-08-17, 07:26 AM   #6
trailblazer295

I would personally leave them alone during that time. My BP has never been a problem to handle in terms of aggression or even balling up. When he is in blue he is very jerky and twitchy by any motion or contact. I have handled while in shed because I didn't notice until after. Just working with a snake when they aren't in high stress mode would be my approach.
Old 04-08-17, 08:06 AM   #7
sattva

George is in blue right now... Or as my wife and myself have said "He's feeling blue"... He's been in blue for about a week now and stays in his cold hide; he only stuck his head out to eat the other day... George has never skip a meal that I can remember... But ya... You can tell he wants to be left alone... The only time I will handle him then, is if he gets stuck in shed... Then he gets a warm bath which I think he enjoys... Once that's all over he will return to his old self. out and about; curiously watching every move I make...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Closed Thread