border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-16, 03:37 PM   #1
Eric & Ethan

New from Wentzville, Mo.

I've been handling snakes since I was 4 (I am 41 now). I only have one snake left of my collection due to my wife's not sharing my enthusiasm. However, the snake I have is special, she was a gift from my Mom when I was a sophomore in high school in 1991 ! She (the snake) is roughly 26 years old, and still beautiful. I recently bought my 11 year old son (Ethan) his first boa she is roughly 5 months old. Since it has been about 15 years since housing such a young snake, I will probably seek some suggestions and guidance at times. From what I have read already, I think I have found an excellent source for everything boa.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-30-16, 03:52 PM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: New from Wentzville, Mo.

Welcome to the forum! There's many boa enthusiasts and breeders here who will definitely help you out.
Old 12-30-16, 05:58 PM   #3
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Welcome to ssnakess!!
Old 12-30-16, 06:21 PM   #4
MartinD

Hello Eric & Ethan and welcome to the forums
Old 12-30-16, 06:25 PM   #5
trailblazer295

Welcome to the forum. What kind of snake is it you owned for so long? Please start a topic with pics of her. It might be a record holder or close to it for a member with the oldest herp. Also any details on her cage etc I'm sure other newbieish and newbies would like to see how to care for a snake for so long.
Old 12-31-16, 12:13 AM   #6
Eric & Ethan

She is a Columbia red-tailed boa, or at least that is what the pet store tag said when she was bought. I named her Bob like any stupid high schooler would, only to find out years later that she was a female. That was when I had to put her in with another boa that I rescued after I broke the lid on her enclosure. While waiting for the new lid to show (special order), the two got a little friendly with each other. A few months later I was surprised with 18 little ones, when my wife thought Bob was bleeding to death. No..... not bleeding to death, just 18 more mouths to feed. I ended up getting them all to eat well for about 5 weeks, then sold them to a couple exotic pet stores in the area. As far as how to keep a snake that long...... I don't do anything special. Just love. She is around 7' long, lives in a 70 gallon lizard lounge set up with a large heat pad under one side. She eats a large or jumbo rat every 3-6 weeks depending on her mood.... if that makes sense. I've had her so long I can tell when she's looking to eat. She is the tamest thing I've ever had (my 5 year old likes it when she licks him because it tickles). She is handled regularly by myself and Ethan (11), Gavin is the 5 year old. I am trying to post a couple pictures, but keep getting told they are too big. Not going to give up though.
Old 12-31-16, 02:18 AM   #7
dave himself

Hi and welcome
Old 12-31-16, 09:23 PM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes E2. I love to hear about healthy mature snakes. Looking forward to those pics.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-07-17, 12:09 AM   #9
Eric & Ethan

Trying to get some pictures up, but no luck. I have followed steps shown on a thread I found in the "general" forum, but still struggling. Trying to do all this from my iPad, maybe I'll ray the laptop will tomorrow.
Old 01-07-17, 12:12 AM   #10
Eric & Ethan

Click here to view photo.

Last edited by Tsubaki; 01-07-17 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Turned link into working version.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-17, 12:14 AM   #11
Eric & Ethan

That didn't work.....
Old 01-07-17, 12:48 PM   #12
sockSnek

I think the "//" at the beginning of your URL are confusing the tags.

Also, instead of linking to part of the gallery, you should use the direct link. It looks like this, and ends in .jpg or whatever extension you have:
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (10.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-12-17, 09:12 PM   #13
Eric & Ethan

Hoorah !!!! Here is my first picture.

Finally figured this out, here she is going for a stroll while I clean her enclosure. Meet Bob (I know, terrible name. When she was given to me I was a sophomore in high school, and had no idea of the sex.), I have had her since 1991. I believe her to be a columbian red-tailed boa, but cannot be sure.

[IMG][/IMG]
Closed Thread