border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-18, 07:56 AM   #1
jemmett

Heat tape and Plastic Tubs

Hello everyone, This is probably an obvious answer, but is it safe to put heat tape UNDER the plastic tubs? Like there wont' be a melting, catch fire, issue right? lol

Trying to get everything set up before I go to the Reptile show next month in KC. Hoping to start breeding in the next few years!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-18-18, 10:11 AM   #2
mikeneezy

Re: Heat tape and Plastic Tubs

Yes. And yes there's always the risk, but that's why it's important you get a good thermometer.

What are you looking into getting?
Old 10-18-18, 12:59 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Thermostats are required for heat tape. This will eliminate almost all possibility of malfunction. Left uncontrolled, it is unsafe.
Old 10-18-18, 01:34 PM   #4
akane

From what I've seen all heat tape can get hot enough to burn snakes and melt plastic. Properly placing a thermostat and adjusting it are how you use it. You can't just put in a lower wattage to get less heat at once like some heating options. It has to be turned on and off automatically.
Old 10-22-18, 04:45 AM   #5
jemmett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeneezy View Post
Yes. And yes there's always the risk, but that's why it's important you get a good thermometer.

Hey sorry I hadn't received anything about anyone responding.

Basically I'm just getting started with breeding and I had seen videos of breeders using the plastic tubs for the snakes. I was curious if the heat tape under them would be an issue OR if there is a better way I'm all ears.

My plan is to get the VE-200 Thermostat, with the heat tape under the tubs if it would work. I just didn't want to 1. create a bad environment for the snakes, 2. not burn down my house. lol
Login to remove ads
Old 10-22-18, 06:15 AM   #6
craigafrechette

A properly regulated heat source will not melt plastic. Think of it like this: if you want a hot spot of 90, and set your tstat to 94 to achieve that temp, then the absolute hottest the tape will get is 94. Our bodies maintain a temp over 98....will plastic melt in our hands? No, so 94 will not melt plastic either.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades here, but it does raise some concerns when somebody is asking entry level heating questions, then says they are starting to breed. I know you said you're just getting started, but there's a LOT to learn about basic husbandry and keeping practices before even considering breeding.
Old 10-22-18, 06:16 AM   #7
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeneezy View Post

Not sure if you meant thermoSTAT but a thermoMETER will do nothing at all to prevent heat spikes.
Old 10-22-18, 12:59 PM   #8
akane

Less "efficient" heat mats might not carry a risk of ever getting that hot but are going to be weak, more expensive, and not designed to run across a rack. I have a few backup ones that I doubt could even melt a shoebox size plastic bin but they are rather useless for any permanent setup. Heat tape is effective and inexpensive partially because it can get as hot as you need. You just also need to put a good control on it.
Old 10-23-18, 11:00 AM   #9
jemmett

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
A properly regulated heat source will not melt plastic. Think of it like this: if you want a hot spot of 90, and set your tstat to 94 to achieve that temp, then the absolute hottest the tape will get is 94. Our bodies maintain a temp over 98....will plastic melt in our hands? No, so 94 will not melt plastic either.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades here, but it does raise some concerns when somebody is asking entry level heating questions, then says they are starting to breed. I know you said you're just getting started, but there's a LOT to learn about basic husbandry and keeping practices before even considering breeding.
"in the next few years" ... YEARS.. try reading the entire post next time. But since you brought it up, why would you not want people asking questions? Would you prefer that they purchased animals and then either killed them or let them go in the wild to die because they couldn't take care of them? Or would you prefer that the person ask a perfectly legitimate question about properly taking care of the animal?

I actually have raised/took care of/handled snakes, I just haven't ever used plastic tubs to do it. They were in custom built cages at a local Audobon, until the center closed.. I also took care of fish, turtles, lizards (both legged and no-legged), salamanders, and a sparrowhawk (aka Kestrel).. a 12 year old cat, two 1 yr old cats, and a 21 yr old boy, none of which have died.. So I'm not a complete noob.

It's people like you that keep people from asking questions and cause animals to be killed.. or inadvertently neglected.. So why don't you answer with out the tone..

I appreciate the actual answers from the rest of the people on this post. I'll probably get kicked out because of this response, so, pfft who cares. lol
Old 10-23-18, 12:46 PM   #10
akane

I find people tend to assume every little thing I consider and that goes through my head is an already established decision rather than simply preparing for possibilities or considering why something does or doesn't work. Really people assume a LOT and tend to blow up over it without holding rational discussions. I'm learning to just ignore it and continue learning and making possible future plans.

I've been buying pairs from the first year. I don't know if I'll ever actually breed them but since it takes around 3 years for most to mature if you buy babies and I like multiple of those species anyway there is no reason not to consider it. Also no reason not to start adding research toward it even while still figuring out the various basic setups. Maybe in another year I'll attempt to build a rack for raising lots of little snakes or I'll decide I'm not ready to do so. That's why I've steadily been looking at rack designs and how they work just in case while mostly concentrating on improving my display tanks.

I like my snakes and after 3-5 years go by if I decide to breed them I already have completely suitable adults with no need to make more space, start putting my adults in racks, or end up selling some to be able to get what I want. I don't have to "upgrade" snakes or their setup since I considered it a couple months after my first snake. Seems perfectly logical to me.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-23-18, 12:49 PM   #11
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmett View Post
"in the next few years" ... YEARS.. try reading the entire post next time. But since you brought it up, why would you not want people asking questions? Would you prefer that they purchased animals and then either killed them or let them go in the wild to die because they couldn't take care of them? Or would you prefer that the person ask a perfectly legitimate question about properly taking care of the animal?

I actually have raised/took care of/handled snakes, I just haven't ever used plastic tubs to do it. They were in custom built cages at a local Audobon, until the center closed.. I also took care of fish, turtles, lizards (both legged and no-legged), salamanders, and a sparrowhawk (aka Kestrel).. a 12 year old cat, two 1 yr old cats, and a 21 yr old boy, none of which have died.. So I'm not a complete noob.

It's people like you that keep people from asking questions and cause animals to be killed.. or inadvertently neglected.. So why don't you answer with out the tone..

I appreciate the actual answers from the rest of the people on this post. I'll probably get kicked out because of this response, so, pfft who cares. lol
Wow, over sensitive much?

I never said anything at all about not asking questions.
Nor did I give any tone. That's on you if you read it that way. Questions are great, that's how we learn.
All I said was if you're unsure of basic husbandry practices then learning that should come long before breeding.

I've helped countless people on this forum and others. And I actually encourage questions. So, try again.

My reply was actually thinking about the animals. Far too many people get a snake and all of a sudden want to breed. It's important to have years of experience keeping snakes before breeding them.
That's all I said. I even mentioned that you said you were years away, so yeah. I read your whole post. Seems like you didn't read my whole reply though. Either that or you just picked out the parts you wanted to focus on.

Any which way, I'm here to help. If you took my tone a certain way, well that's on you.
Old 10-25-18, 09:47 AM   #12
mikeneezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Not sure if you meant thermoSTAT but a thermoMETER will do nothing at all to prevent heat spikes.

Ooops brain fart . Yes, I mean thermometer.
Old 10-26-18, 09:06 PM   #13
pet_snake_78

I have some heat tape just on a rheostat but those are just feeder insects, it does work but it's not worth it to save a few bucks for something used for animals. Use a proportional tstat, I use herpstats

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Closed Thread

Tags
heat tape, heating, heating issues, plastic